Buying stuff from the USA??

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
It all looks like a great deal until it arrives with a COD for a brokeradge fee. I recieved 4 packages yesterday. The total brokerage fee's? $317.00!! Do your homework before buyng south. This was shipped UPS.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Never get anything UPS always go USPS (United States Postal Service) wait a few days longer but only a $5.00 brokerage fee :D

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
Once I have recieved all the parts for this Banshee build I'm doing I will have paid over $500.00 to UPS for brokerage fees. I am still saving money on the parts. Canadian retailers should start dropping thier prices! It upsets me that I have to give a large percentage of my savings away to UPS, but It is still alot cheaper than buying in Canada.
I need a head for a 05' YFZ 450. Argyll in Edmonton quoted me $1095.00. Just a bare head! I called my supplier down south. The first quote was $670.00. Because of all the Banshee parts I purchased I was able to get him down to $533.00!! So even with the shipping and brokerge fees there is still a big savings.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what you meen. I am sitting at hope waitin for ups to show up cause they have taken a week to get here and alot of money to ship. I would support local bussiness, but i think they need to look after there cusomers and give us all a break on pricing. As for shipping, next time tell them if they ship UPS to send it as warranty and then you pay minimun fee. My 1650US worth of parts is only costing me $25 in brokerage fees

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UPS told me to try and not have things shipped by ground. If you ship by air the brokerage fees are included in the cost and will usually be cheaper. Go figure!?

USPS is good, but I just found out yesterday that Canada Post is jacking their fee to $8. That's a 60% increase!!! How do you justify that? I know it doesn't sound like a lot to go from $5 to $8, but think about it, 60% more. That's going to be a lot of revenue for Canada Post.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Buy stuff from the USA!!! AND SAVE MONEY!!!

WELL.... MY BIG BIKE(2006 YAMAHA ROYAL STAR MIDNIGHT VENTURE) IS NOW DONE AND HAS PASSED THE SALVAGE INSPECTION WITH FLYING COLORS..... AL THE PARTS I NEEDED I HAD ORDERED FROM THE STATES. THE ESTIMATE UP HERE AT 2 DIFFERENT YAMAHA DEALERS WAS OVER $8000.00 TOTAL FOR THE PARTS..... I PAID LESS THAN $2000.00 CDN + ABOUT $300.00 SHIPPING ETC.= $2300.00.............. HOW CAN THIS BE JUSTIFIED BY THE CANADIAN DEALERS??? THIS REALLY BOTHERS ME HOW YAMAHA CANADA CAN CHARGE SUCH A HUGE PRICE DIFFERENCE, AND GET AWAY WITH IT. I'M SURE MOST MANUFACTURERS ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT. I SHOWED THE PARTSMEN AT BOTH LOCATIONS THE ESTIMATE FROM THE U.S. AND THEY BOTH SAID THE PARTS WERE BELOW EVEN THEIR COST!!! GO FIGURE!!!:rant:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the law suit that has been filed against the Canadian auto manufacurers!? Alleges price gouging compared to the US now that the dollar is on par. Only one manufacturer has responded saying they were just trying to keep up with the others. In other word's it's not their fault.....yeah right!

Porshce has lowered their pricing 10% and will be offering more standard features.

Local diamond seller is advertising on the radio that due to the dollar they will sell bigger, better diamonds for less.

That said I put a deposit on a US truck yesterday. Will be saving about $12,000.00.

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
I'm sure the Canadian market will adjust eventually. I think it depends on how long the dollars stays up. I have also been letting my suppliers know how I feel. And showing them how much product I am getting out of the US now. They have said that they watch their pricing closely. I'm sure they do! So hopefully they will be able to compete and we don't see something like an increase in duty or fees to stop us from saving money by buying down south.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ask everyone I buy from in US to ship USPS. Never had a problem.
UPS charges ridiculous rates compared to any other courier.

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
Unfortunately not all shippers are willing to ship usps. I just ordered $3000.00 worth of stuff. One large box arrived damaged. UPS is looking after it. What would I have done if it was shipped usps? Do they cover the cost of damaged goods? Who do you call and where? What about tracking and coverge if the parcel is lost? Just wondering. I have shipped some small things from e-bay with usps but I'm a little nervous shipping the big $$ items with them.

summit7

Reaction score
We have found a way around the high broker fees here in southern
Alberta,we have stuff shipped UPS,but have it shipped to the UPS stor at Coutts crossing. They charge $5.00 for handling, and you have to pick up your parts and bring them across.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
What kind of loop holes do you have to jump through to get a U.S. truck into Canada? I have heard about the day time running lights that is. it? A guy I work with said he can buy a brand new Duramax in U.S. for 35-38,000? In canada there are like 65,000 and up depending on options .That is alot of savings.They better start selling cheaper here or they are going to lose some customers.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of loop holes do you have to jump through to get a U.S. truck into Canada? I have heard about the day time running lights that is. it? A guy I work with said he can buy a brand new Duramax in U.S. for 35-38,000? In canada there are like 65,000 and up depending on options .That is alot of savings.They better start selling cheaper here or they are going to lose some customers.

Well first off, all vehicles 1988 and newer(most of them anyway) have daytime running lights. The main thing is paying the duty,gst,brokerage and then a Out Of Province Inspection. If it is a new vehicle, there should be no problem as long as it is not modified. But you friend is right, a guy can save upwards of 30,000 on a new truck. But you have to go further south that bordering states cause alot of the dealers there will not sell to you because of this.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really easy to do. No duty if American made, no brokerage, only GST. I am saving $12,000 on a 2005 truck. $25 for a daytime running lights module to meet inspection requirements.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you buy make sure your local dealer will cover warranty as I've heard some are not.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok now to add to this question has anyone shipped in a new sled??? Looks like my sled for this year is coming down from AK any idea on costs for crossing? I just dont want to think I am saving a bunch of coin then find out the border charges 1500 for a sled to cross? Any help would be great!

Shifty

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought an 06 chev dually crewcab today. US vehicles have the option of turning off the daytime running lights. In canada they have to be on all the time. that is the only change i have to make on this truck. I was going to try a Mega cab dually but dodge will not honor warranty even on used vehicles. You will save between $10,000 and $18,000 on a fully loaded truck, new or used. Fully loaded diesel new is around $48-$50,000 US and they are low to mid 60's canadian. Just remember Dodge has no warranty new or used. Ford has immediate warranty new or used. GM has a 6 month waiting period on new and used is immediate.

Top Bottom