Bulk fuel

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into getting bulk diesel delivered to my yard, but wondering what the best options are? Get a tank supplied, i'm not sure if I would use enough fuel to get a free tank? Or spend around $3-4k buying a 800-1200 gallon tank and pump at Ritchie's? Other concern is I have no power, not sure if a generator is the only option, or some kind of solar or batteries? In the summer months guessing I will use in the area of 3000L a month, but maybe 1000L in the winter. The savings would be nice but mostly going for convenience, i'm tired of going to the pump almost everyday I use the excavator with the tractor trailer, it's such a hassle and waste of time. For the amount I use would it be reasonable to expect a supplier to give me a tank rental for free? I have tried finding information on dyed fuel for the equipment but information seems to be lacking. Does anyone know how involved it is to obtain, and how much you actually save? About 30-40% of fuel use would be in equipment. Who would be the best to use for it? I have only tried contacting UFA and Hughes so far, but haven't gotten any real information. Seems like it's too small for them to want to bother with or something :confused:

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into getting bulk diesel delivered to my yard, but wondering what the best options are? Get a tank supplied, i'm not sure if I would use enough fuel to get a free tank? Or spend around $3-4k buying a 800-1200 gallon tank and pump at Ritchie's? Other concern is I have no power, not sure if a generator is the only option, or some kind of solar or batteries? In the summer months guessing I will use in the area of 3000L a month, but maybe 1000L in the winter. The savings would be nice but mostly going for convenience, i'm tired of going to the pump almost everyday I use the excavator with the tractor trailer, it's such a hassle and waste of time. For the amount I use would it be reasonable to expect a supplier to give me a tank rental for free? I have tried finding information on dyed fuel for the equipment but information seems to be lacking. Does anyone know how involved it is to obtain, and how much you actually save? About 30-40% of fuel use would be in equipment. Who would be the best to use for it? I have only tried contacting UFA and Hughes so far, but haven't gotten any real information. Seems like it's too small for them to want to bother with or something :confused:

I don't think I have heard of anyone giving you a free tank. A lease yes but not free.
Dyed fuel requires an application . They only Dyed fuel usage that Im familiar with is for AG. use.
Pricing is directly related to the amount you use. The amount you are saying you would use would not get you any major discounts if any at all.

If I were you and you wanted a some extra fuel I would get a slip and fill it yourself.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have heard of anyone giving you a free tank. A lease yes but not free.
Dyed fuel requires an application . They only Dyed fuel usage that Im familiar with is for AG. use.
Pricing is directly related to the amount you use. The amount you are saying you would use would not get you any major discounts if any at all.

If I were you and you wanted a some extra fuel I would get a slip and fill it yourself.

I spoke to someone who uses Hughes and in the summer they come fill trucks everynight, but in the winter since they use less Hughes supplied them with a tank for free, so that is where I got that from. However that is a company with about 12 trucks and some equipment so it's a lot of fuel.

I am going to get a 100 gallon tank for my 5500 and that is fine for it and the mini-ex. But the tractor trailer weight is an issue. I have wondered if I could rig up one of the tractors fuel tanks to become a slip tank, as it has dual 140 or 160 gallon tanks that I don't really need only running in the city. I wasn't figuring a lot, but like 5-10 cents a litre, and thought that would be enough to cover a tank rental making it a wash. I don't have a problem buying it, but thought it would be enough quantity for a bit of a discount, assuming they would be coming to fil a decent amount each time like at least 3000 litres.

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke to someone who uses Hughes and in the summer they come fill trucks everynight, but in the winter since they use less Hughes supplied them with a tank for free, so that is where I got that from. However that is a company with about 12 trucks and some equipment so it's a lot of fuel.

I am going to get a 100 gallon tank for my 5500 and that is fine for it and the mini-ex. But the tractor trailer weight is an issue. I have wondered if I could rig up one of the tractors fuel tanks to become a slip tank, as it has dual 140 or 160 gallon tanks that I don't really need only running in the city. I wasn't figuring a lot, but like 5-10 cents a litre, and thought that would be enough to cover a tank rental making it a wash. I don't have a problem buying it, but thought it would be enough quantity for a bit of a discount, assuming they would be coming to fil a decent amount each time like at least 3000 litres.

If they are filling Trucks at night its because they are pumping a substantial amount of fuel. I would also say that the reason the provided a tank is because its cheaper for the Fuel distributer to do so rather then driving out in the winter.

Buy yourself a fuel transfer pump that sucks from you tractor tank via a hose so it doesn't need to be mounted solid.

This is a cheap one from Princess.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can you set up a tank and stand for Gravity feed? If you keep an eye on farm auctions, I have seen a 500 gal tank and stand go for as little as $250 at the right sale, they usually go for $800 - $1200
As for marked fuel, there is off road and Ag fuel. Ag used to be about $.18 per litre and off road about$.09 per litre savings. I do believe it's about $.09 Ag and $.04 off road these days?
You can pick up the paper work to fill out at your local bulk dealer, or they likely will point you in the right direction as to what is required.
Only draw back with storing fuel at home in the obvious over head tanks is it tends to attract thieves.

nbrecht

Reaction score
A quick search on Kijiji there are a few Gravity feed tanks. If that the way you want to go. Then just contact petro or refuel, or whoever will give you the best price to fill.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That and depending on your lot zoning and
Insurance , check about permanent tank location rules ...
A big tidy tank is good , you can always move it about with hoe or bobcat anyways ...as needed.

DragonCFI

Reaction score
Not sure if they picture will work. These days you probably need a double wall tank unless its in a containment. I used to build them and sometimes we would just rig them up with a 12V pump so guys could hook it to the battery of the equipment for filling. We used to build anything form 1000L up to 110000L
All Peace in Grande Prairie does tank rental and sales and theres probably places near you that do the same things

Attachments

• Oilshow2.png
    Oilshow2.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Difference between dyed and regular fuel for us is about .20L last I checked about 2 months ago. We also go through about 50,000l a day on average

Top Bottom