Beacons

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I`m in the market for the new digital beacon too, and if anyone get a group deal going I would be interest in one.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I use a BCA Tracker. This is also the beacon that they rent at Ride N Hide in McBride. Check around, alot of companies throw in a probe, shovel, or give you 50% off a pack when you buy a beacon. I got my Tracker and a BCA Stash pack from Snow Big Deal last winter for under $350.00 Can. shipping included.:cool:

whats Snow Big Deal?

rsw

Reaction score
I`m in the market for the new digital beacon too, and if anyone get a group deal going I would be interest in one.

Our group is looking to get 3-4 for this upcoming season! I wounder how many we need to get a discount?

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Wow, lots of chat...that is always good.

Thanks to Snochuk for your help to pass on the info. From some of my rantings last season quite a few people thought that we had quit teaching...whoops!

We have a full list of classes, seminars and Canadian Avalanche Centre Seminars this season throughout Alberta & Saskatchewan, with field exercises in Golden, Valemount and the Crowsnest Pass. Basically pick any classroom location and any field option to complete your 16hr AST1 course.

For the full listing go to:

Regarding beacons: it is all about your level of practice. There are so many cool features on the new digital beacons, however, they are only useful and dependable if you are familiar and remember how to use them properly. The analogs are simple technology and once you appreciate how they work they can be very effective and are fully controllable.
Personally, I like to see a variety of beacons in your riding group. If each person is confident with their technology.....then your riding group has an excellent toolbox to draw from should they ever face a serious situation where time is limited.

Read your manual, take a hands on class, practice finding one, practice finding two or more, practice locating deeper buried targets....practice, practice, practice. Honestly, it is the practicing that separates an ok searcher from a great one.
Remember, the goal is not to find a beacon, the goal is to save a life FAST.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zacs,

Do you recommend waiting to buy a beacon until after I have taken the classroom training? I have heard that you have a variety of makes to try out, but I was thinking of getting one at the snowmobile show if the price is right, instead of waiting.

Thanks

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Ft Sask Snow Angels are trying to put a buy in place I will get back with some info when I have it. Transcievers,probes,shovels and back packs. Tri-County Club has some training courses coming up look at their site and see if anything fits for you.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Five of us drove to the Terracana to take the course last year. There are still a few in our group that want to take the course, hopefully they find a spot in a class so they learn to save my arse when required! Zac's puts on a first class course.....be prepared to learn a lot in two days. If you can brush up on terminology and beacon search before you go, makes it easier to absorb everything. Oh ya ....I'm still a big fan of air bags, might be able to avoid the digging part!!!

Top Bottom