Compound Bow

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to get back into archery and maybe do some hunting but haven't shot a bow in 25 years so not sure where to even start looking. I know there is Cabela's but are there any good archery shops around the Edmonton area that people have been too? Anyone have a bow they recommend or something I should stay clear of? Thanks for the help.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an APA that I really like, it’s Canadian made and has a lot of cool features. It’s also one of the fastest bows on the market, only issue is it’s a little louder than some of the other brands. Mathews makes some very nice bows and are silent when shot. I’ve had a PSE, Hoyt, BowTech and an APA, they all are great brands. I suggest going and shooting a few to see what feels best.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my first bow in spruce Grove. That was when I lived up there but they were good to deal with then. Long time ago mind you. Maybe others have in put on them

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jim of JomBows used to be a part of Trophy Book (worked there) back in the day.
He is a good guy and I hear good things about his shop.
I have not bought a bow in about 12 years, tick a box for PSE Pro Series GX6 longevity.
You will not go wrong with any of the top end bows in any brand.
Buy a shootable bow, low brace heights not for everybody, fast but erratic if you twitch a bit.
7" for general shooters and for 6" be steady and experienced.
Still my favorite way to hunt after all these years and great family fun.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JimBows and Wyld archery in Edmonton seem to be dealers for most of the brands mentioned so go in and check them out.

He worked on my bow a couple years ago, new cams and string, did good work, explained some stuff to me when I picked it up as well, and has a nice indoor range to test out things. My buddies that are big into bow hunting all use him. Sadly my dumb brother in law dry fired my bow in the garage a couple years ago while I was in the house grabbing a beer. So it sits busted in my basement and I lost interest lol. More into the hot lead weapon anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an older BEAR bow, still works great, I had Jim Bows in Calgary set it up for me.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to get back into archery and maybe do some hunting but haven't shot a bow in 25 years so not sure where to even start looking. I know there is Cabela's but are there any good archery shops around the Edmonton area that people have been too? Anyone have a bow they recommend or something I should stay clear of? Thanks for the help.

Get a bow where the yoke strings can be twisted to eliminate cam lean,

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And look into the IQ bow site with the green circle black dot . Once set, at full draw, a quick glance and the dot will tell you if you are torquing the bow in any way. I love mine.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 Bowtech’s, great bows. In my opinion the best technology out there. Don’t need a bow press to tune your bow with their Deadlock technology, 2 screws to adjust draw weight, adjust your draw length with 4 Allen screws and can swap between performance & comfort pull back weight with the same 4 screws. Go to Jim Bows in Edmonton to test some and can also test against Matthew’s and a few others.

Expect to spend $2000+, bow is $1500 then add hand release, arrows, sight, rest, quiver and stabilizer.

I’d suggest testing at Jim bows, pick your favourite bow, get quote and go home to think on it. Resale on bows suck, there’s a chance you can buy a barely used bow for cheap (got my first Bowtech this way). Just be careful you don’t buy a bow that has been dry fired…

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And look into the IQ bow site with the green circle black dot . Once set, at full draw, a quick glance and the dot will tell you if you are torquing the bow in any way. I love mine.
The IQ is pretty good, after a few years I got set up with a Spot Hogg and this sight is awesome. My range goes out to 140 yards and the Spot Hogg puts me on target every time, or at least until my 8th beer.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The IQ is pretty good, after a few years I got set up with a Spot Hogg and this sight is awesome. My range goes out to 140 yards and the Spot Hogg puts me on target every time, or at least until my 8th beer.

I've heard good things about the hog. Does that sight have the torque dot in the sight? Do you need a couple of peeps or can just use one for that range?

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the 5 pin, I use one peep. The sight moves up and down quickly and you use the bottom pin for long shots. A ticker tape is put on the side of the dial, you determine which tape to use once you’ve set your 5 pins. Hard to explain but theirs some good YouTube vids on them.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in Calgary so stopped in Jimbows and ended up picking up a Bowtech Commander. Joey over there was extremely helpfull and made sure I wasnt spending money on things not needed.

Attachments

• IMG-20240409-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20240409-WA0000.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom