Lost my beacon in the move. Now what should I replace it with

drew17

Reaction score
My last beacon was a mammut Barryvox element which I loved and found very user friendly. What is the best one on the market today?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One similar to what you had would probably be the best.
I have a used Tracker 3 and Tracker S for sale if you are interested

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM frozenpirate or any of the other Avy course trainers on here. they will have great first hand knowledge of multiple brands as they see them in the field working daily

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
PM frozenpirate or any of the other Avy course trainers on here. they will have great first hand knowledge of multiple brands as they see them in the field working daily
At the Martin Avy awareness Curtis from Frozenpirate highly recommend the Mammut Barryvox, He said the average person wont use the features of the next model up. This is reasonably priced at $ 429.99. Killer range and very easy to use.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy is good. I bet a lot of peeps buy a transceiver, slam some batteries in it and throw it around their neck and pray they never have to use it.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Easy is good. I bet a lot of peeps buy a transceiver, slam some batteries in it and throw it around their neck and pray they never have to use it.
Yep!, In a real avalanche situation 3 out of 5 people will properly use there beacon. Panic sets in. I know this by experience as I personally was in an avalanche in March 2009, we lost a friend and mentor. Quick, easy and basic, with regular practice which may save a life someday.

drew17

Reaction score
i actually ended up finding the beacon but after doing a little research i think its time for an upgrade anyway. barryvox on order thanks for steering me in the right direction.
the unfortunate thing about beacons is your only as safe as the training your riding crew has as a whole and the equipment each member has.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i actually ended up finding the beacon but after doing a little research i think its time for an upgrade anyway. barryvox on order thanks for steering me in the right direction.
the unfortunate thing about beacons is your only as safe as the training your riding crew has as a whole and the equipment each member has.

And that’s the part everyone forgets. If I’m riding with someone I don’t know I want to see what they are using. Usually the first indication is when they pull out their kids Walmart radio.

drew17

Reaction score
i had thought about selling my old one but has since decided to keep it for when guys show up with something i figure would be better suited being left in the truck.
And that’s the part everyone forgets. If I’m riding with someone I don’t know I want to see what they are using. Usually the first indication is when they pull out their kids Walmart radio.

Ghfalls

Reaction score
Newb here. Have always rented but want to start getting a bit more serious than one weekend a year. What beacon should a guy get? Money is always tight. Last trip was tenting in the parking lot at Clemina. Bang for buck best value?
Is a tracker S worth getting? Avalanche safety.ca has what looks like a good deal going on them but not opposed to spending more.
Thanks
Gary

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newb here. Have always rented but want to start getting a bit more serious than one weekend a year. What beacon should a guy get? Money is always tight. Last trip was tenting in the parking lot at Clemina. Bang for buck best value?
Is a tracker S worth getting? Avalanche safety.ca has what looks like a good deal going on them but not opposed to spending more.
Thanks
Gary
The Tracker S is the most basic beacon.
Does all the same stuff as the T3 and T4. However. If there's a software issue, it can not be updated. Where as the T3s and 4s. You can send to BCA for reprogramming.
As well with any BCA beacon. The wearer needs to manually turn on Auto Revert (AR) every time they turn their beacon on. (It's simple to do).
BCA beacons also require a bit more from the user for multiple burials.
Say 2 or more of your ridding buddies are buried. You'll need to know how to use Big Picture mode (BP) and signal Surpression (SS).
When you use SS it blocks the closest signal for only 1 minute (60 seconds)

In short yes for a guy that gets out a couple times a year a Tracker S will work. Just make sure you read and understand how they work. And go practice with it in your yard. Or park.

drew17

Reaction score
Thanks
Gary
most people will recommend to stick with what you know. but i will recommend get the best you can afford and the best is mammut barryvox. They are so easy to use coming from my barryvox element to the new style was extremely easy. the functions just make sense.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your check with some of the snocat and heli ski out fits they sell off last years stuff at huge discount
most of them use the barryvox

Top Bottom