Beacons

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a beacon, which one do you have/or recommend and why. Was looking at snowtracker and pieps.
Josh

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
SOS Beacon

I use Survival On Snow
They are an Alberta company, have a long history in the market and I've seen a ton of them on the mountain. I've been lucky enough to never have had to use one in a rescue so I can't really say any more but I never head up without the beacon, shovel and probe and I won't ride with someone who does not carry the equipment.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Ortovox Beacon

Our group uses the Ortovox beacons,as that was what first guy had & we just thought to all stay w/the same. We are fortunate we have not had to use in big hills. We have used for practice & training a fair bit & they appear to come thru all the time. I would say, most are equally good.My main concern is that everyone I ride with has one & knows how to use them.
We hid them on each other to sharpen our skills.... It's actually somewhat fun.
www.ortovox.com

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avy course

I would recommend taking an avalance course. They go over how the different types of beacons work, and the pros and cons of each. When I took the course, the impression I got was that the SOS Beacon was the most basic, and (for me in the event of a panic emergency) easiest to use.

The course I took was through Zak's Tracs. See below.

http://www.zacstracs.com/

From what I have heard from some of the others who have taken the course, the SOS has the greatest range when performing a search.

Tekim

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a digital analog Barryvox, you get the range of an analog and the speed/simplicity of a digital. Zaks Trac's avy course will teach you the highlights of both as well as priceless infomation on understanding snow.:clap2: :clap2: There is alot to learn in two days. Almost all of our group has ABS bags...over 50% of class had them. If I wouldn't have had one before the class I would have had one the next day!!!!!!!! YOU DO NOT WANT TO EVER BE BURRIED BEFORE YOUR TIME!!! We make sure everyone who rides with us has a beacon, shovel and probe. One of the best things I learned was how to do multiple burial recoveries.....this is a must know. If you ride in the mountains you NEED to take an avy course. The rest of our group has the pressure put on them regularly to learn how to save us. Hmmmm....yea its that important.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow,got carried away there. Pieps is good...there is no bad beacon,they just work a little differently(analog/digital or combination)and you need to know how to use one with confidence.:D :D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pieps all the way! I have two and would not use anything else unless I had too LOL!The Tracker is good too but definatly go DSP (digital).And as metioned aboveTAKE AN AVALANCHE COURSE!!
catmando!:snow:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses, this site is awsome :). I will definetely be taking a more advanced avalanche course.
Josh

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever beacon you choose learn how to use it with confidence. Digital or Anolog they both have their strong points and weak points and I can't emphasise enough about taking an avy course!!!!! Zaks traks was giving a 2 - 3 hour course this past fall very good value for the information but if you get the chance try to take the two day course. Also make sure the folks you ride with are avy savy!!!:)

Happy Riding

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use Survival On Snow
They are an Alberta company, have a long history in the market and I've seen a ton of them on the mountain. I've been lucky enough to never have had to use one in a rescue so I can't really say any more but I never head up without the beacon, shovel and probe and I won't ride with someone who does not carry the equipment.

Curtis we got to get together so I can show you the difference between the dsp and the analog you use.It gave me a few grey hairs as I used the sos before I was shown the dsp and boy was I given a false sense of security.If you dont put in a lot of hours practising with them and know them very well they are very hard to pinpoint a buriel within 3 ft and even when you are a pro with it they are not as accurate or near as quick as the digital!If you have not compared or been shown the difference I highly recomend looking at the digital just for peace of mind!Accuracy is so important(life or death)
It amazes me why they even rent those,most people who rent them just strap them on and go!How many people have you seen in the parking lot practising.Not saying you are not sufficient with it but most are insufficient!
Ok! I'll stop rambling but I would be glad to show you if interested!
catmando!:tazz: :tazz: :tazz:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you catmando that the digital is easier to use and would be a better choice for a rental as most who rent are not that familiar with beacons. A straight digital has only about half the range of an S.O.S. or any analog. A digital/analog gives you range and speed if it switches on it's own. Digital is deffinatly faster for me to use because of directioal arrows. On a multiple burial I would take an S.O.S. over a Tracker or straight digital. Still think any digital/analog is the best choice, however this is just my opinion and none are much good if you don't practice:trustme:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you guys/gals dont mind me bumping an old post.

So if you buy XX brand of locating equipment, is it capable of finding brand YY's equipment? I would assume it is but just wanted to clarify.

I have no avalanche training but plan on taking it when it comes up and want to get all the necessary gear to play safe in the mountains.

thanks

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I hope you guys/gals dont mind me bumping an old post.

So if you buy XX brand of locating equipment, is it capable of finding brand YY's equipment? I would assume it is but just wanted to clarify.

I have no avalanche training but plan on taking it when it comes up and want to get all the necessary gear to play safe in the mountains.

thanks

THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS YES...ALL BRANDS OF "BEACONS" ARE ON THE SAME EMERGENCY RESCUE FREQUENCIES.... CHECK OUT THE NEW DIGITAL BEACONS AS THEY ARE EVEN QUICKER AND MORE ACCURATE THAN THE ANALOG VERSIONS........ MAYBE ITS TIME FOR SNOWANDMUD TO DIG INTO A BULK PUCHASE OF BEACONS FOR A BETTER DEAL; LIKE WE DID WITH THE "SUPERCLAMPS"....... WAS AN AWESOME DEAL!!!!

Last edited:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would be in for that. also i would like to purchase one of those avalanche bags so maybe we could do a group buy on those too.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ALL beacons operate on the same frequency. Sled show has some good deals. Zacs Tracs has made some changes to how they do their bookings this year. It may sound unbelievable but it is partially due to a lack of interest.....there is no way that everybody is trained. Good luck choosing your gear and practice practice practice.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes. I use a BCA Tracker. This is also the beacon that they rent at Ride N Hide in McBride. Check around, alot of companies throw in a probe, shovel, or give you 50% off a pack when you buy a beacon. I got my Tracker and a BCA Stash pack from Snow Big Deal last winter for under $350.00 Can. shipping included.:cool:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I purchaced mine at the ASA snowmobile show a few years back and it was with a shovel and pack its a Pieps. Good deals at the show and the guy at the peeps booth is excellent in showing you the general usage. Not like a course like Zacs puts on but he shows you a couple pointers and the basics. I havn't taken the course yet but I think it is a valuable thing to take. We practiced a little through our snowmobile club and we were looking at getting a course with zacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would Snow and Mud beable to set-up a course through Zacs? I know I've been trying to get to one of Zac's courses but its never when I've had time off. Also looking to buy a beacon, I always just borrow one.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the latest info you need to book Zacs Tracs for avy courses this winter as well as their phone numbers. Hope this helps get more people trained.....and when you are there they will tell you the single best device to keep you alive in an avy is an ABS bag. Shovels, probes and beacons are for after the event. An ABS bag in no way deletes the need for the shovel, probe and beacon or the skill to use them.

------------------------------------
** Additional news **
Zac's Tracs won a national award from the Canadian Council of Snowmobile Organizations (CCSO) and will be accepting it at the International Snowmobile Congress in Minneapolis, MN next weekend. Very exciting!
-------------------------------------
We already have 5 Hosts with avalanche course dates booked for the 2007-08 season!
As well, I expect to teach a series of classroom sessions and beacon seminars through Alberta and Saskatchewan in the late fall.
I will update the website over the summer with this info.
--------------------------------------
I NEED TO APOLOGIZE AS many people misunderstood my comments this winter regarding Zac's future teaching of mountain field sessions.
What I had intended to say was:
Zac's will not HOST field training sessions in the coming years.
ZAC'S WILL STILL TEACH to groups that have organized, promoted, and pre-registered their custom training sessions.
Riding Groups, Clubs, Community Organizations, Hotels and other businesses that have taken on the role as "COURSE HOST" have been very successful in the past.
Those interested in Hosting a course can contact me at any time.
These custom courses can be closed to your riding group or may be opened to
the public and Zac's will include them in our general promotions.
--------------------------------------
Thanks for your interest...for you have read this far. I hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather this week and wish you well.

Lori Zacaruk
Zac's Tracs
Box 903
Black Diamond, AB T0L 0H0
(403) 938-5811
(403) 938-7787 fax
(403) 850-3042 cellular
lori@zacstracs.com
ZacsTracs

Top Bottom