BC off road registration for out of province users ?

corey.greene

Reaction score
Polaris has those runners that run along the top of the tunnel. I just put small carriage bolt in that runner then tighten the plate on. Works for me.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so legislation says, must have a plate mounted on sled, with valid registration and insurance... but shouldn't get hassled about it until possibly next year. CHECK

I do like the 4 small holes in snowflap idea :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
so legislation says, must have a plate mounted on sled, with valid registration and insurance... but shouldn't get hassled about it until possibly next year. CHECK

I do like the 4 small holes in snowflap idea :)

that was what the officer in McBride said, now if you go to other areas, they may look at it differently.......

Laws are Laws Boys and Girls

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so legislation says, must have a plate mounted on sled, with valid registration and insurance... but shouldn't get hassled about it until possibly next year.

The BC legislation actually doesn't say a thing about snowmobile insurance, other than for "designated" road crossings. Insurance is not required on snowmobiles in BC on crown land or unplowed FSR's, and they're not allowed on plowed FSR's. In fact sled's are specifically exempted from insurance requirements under the Forest Service Road Use Regulation.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BC legislation actually doesn't say a thing about snowmobile insurance, other than for "designated" road crossings. Insurance is not required on snowmobiles in BC on crown land or unplowed FSR's, and they're not allowed on plowed FSR's. In fact sled's are specifically exempted from insurance requirements under the Forest Service Road Use Regulation.
So for a guy to ride from pretty much any sledding area - parking lot ect

U are saying we don't need insurance?? Just if u ride from ur house in town for example ...

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything seems to have come to a halt, I do not think they have enough people complying. They are suppose to come out with decals for sleds this fall sometime, so I guess you just put the decal over the decal you already have.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Everything seems to have come to a halt, I do not think they have enough people complying. They are suppose to come out with decals for sleds this fall sometime, so I guess you just put the decal over the decal you already have.
The officers I spoke with said they are doing away with the decals and going to an off highway plate much like we have now in Alberta

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be dammed if I put plate on my twenty thousand dollar machine. If I have to I'll ride the bush rite around them. This is getting ridiculous already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I'll be dammed if I put plate on my twenty thousand dollar machine. If I have to I'll ride the bush rite around them. This is getting ridiculous already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

How much are your vehicles worth? Bet you have plates on all of them. Don't know why the value of your machine has anything to do with putting plates on it. Manufacturers just need to find a GOOD place to put them on snowmobiles. My quad has a nice mounting bracket. Why not my sled?

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had mine on the flap, but the flap bends way more than the plate and the top bolt holes broke off after a few too many bends. O would rather have the plate to show than just some broken tabs left to show them....

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just keep my plate and insurance/reg underneath my seat in a Ziploc bag..right where the manual goes on an xm.def. am not going to drill holes in my tunnel and rivet my plate to it,as mentioned before the red just gets worn away..not to mention a white plate on a black tunnel(the hideousness).

I say as long as u have it on you who the @#$% cares.

let us ride in peace already!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is what I got back from ICBC

Mr. TylerG,

Thanks for your e-mail.

It’s still voluntary to register and display a licence plate on an ORV in BC, but this will become mandatory as of November 1, 2015.

If you bring your snowmobile to BC to operate occasionally, it’s legal for you to do so on Crown land and Forest Service Roads in BC, as long as your snowmobile is registered in Alberta and displays a valid licence plate or decal from there

If you want to take advantage of the highway-crossing allowances for ORVs, you could buy a Temporary Operation Permit (TOP) from ICBC (again, as long as your snowmobile is registered in Alberta and displays a valid licence plate or decal from there). This gives you ICBC Basic Autoplan coverage for your snowmobile and allows incidental crossing of highways.

I’ve attached a PDF copy of the information sheet entitled Off-Road Vehicle Plates (MV1457), which gives an overview of ORV operation in BC. It doesn’t mention operating out-of-province ORVs and TOPs, but it makes reference to off-highway versus on-highway use.

Attachments

• MV1457.pdf
    130.7 KB · Views: 115

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down and got 2 plates for my sled, and was told i can bring them back and exchange them free for 2 decals. I know there was no decals available as of last week. I guess i will believe it when i see it.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down and got 2 plates for my sled, and was told i can bring them back and exchange them free for 2 decals. I know there was no decals available as of last week. I guess i will believe it when i see it.

I just called service Alberta and there is nothing in the future for switching plates to decals. I guess my plate stays under my seat for Alberta/BC again this year

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just referring to BC registration only. You will have plates we will have decals and plates who knows

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just referring to BC registration only. You will have plates we will have decals and plates who knows

Yes, and I was just informing everyone from alberta that go into BC that we will still have to use plates and there is no decals in the future

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, and I was just informing everyone from alberta that go into BC that we will still have to use plates and there is no decals in the future

probably never will be either...... the only sticker associated with snowmobiling that MORE people should buy in Alberta is your ASA Trail Pass.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
In a way this is a good thing... I'll still be carrying mine in the trunk.... But hopefully they can pick up a few of these stolen sleds out there, and nab the thieving crooks :), as long as they check the registration and serial # on the sled ;)

Top Bottom