BC off road registration for out of province users ?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone cut to the chase and list what is the new procedure for displaying plates ? or are we required to buy a yearly pass? where can we find the reader friendly version with the facts .

and go......

Terry

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
From my understanding your Alberta Registration is all you need to have, I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to go and register my machine in BC as well as Alberta for the 3 or 4 times I go there in a season.

We carry our license plates in our backpacks, as we do not want to mount them on the machine, and SO FAR have not been bugged about it.

This is only my understanding from a conversation that went on here on this site last year.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand the plates/stickers will have to be displayed or there is a fine of 500-5000 just trying to get the facts. must be a website or wildlife / enforcement person with this info.

• Thanks
Reactions: PDQ

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I understand the plates/stickers will have to be displayed or there is a fine of 500-5000 just trying to get the facts. must be a website or wildlife / enforcement person with this info.

hmmmm, I'll see what I can find after lunch....... maybe call the BC RCMP's or something.

• Thanks
Reactions: PDQ

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a call into the RCMP in McBride, the lady on the phone did not have a member in the office, nor did she have the information, she is sending my info to an officer and they will contact me.

I will happily update everyone with what I find out from the officer.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Division 1 — Registration or Permit Required

[h=4]Operation prohibited without registration or permit[/h]

14 Subject to the
regulations, a person must not use or operate, or authorize or permit
another person to use or operate, an off-road vehicle on Crown land or
prescribed private land unless one of the following applies:

(a) the off-road vehicle is registered with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia under this Act;

(b) the off-road vehicle is registered and licensed under the Motor Vehicle Act or the Commercial Transport Act;

(c) the off-road vehicle

(i) is registered or licensed in a jurisdiction other than British Columbia, and

(ii) has displayed on it, in the manner prescribed,
the number plate, decal or sticker issued by that jurisdiction in
respect of the registration or licensing of the off-road vehicle;

(d) the owner of the off-road vehicle has obtained a non-resident operating permit for that off-road vehicle under section 16 [non-resident operating permit] of this Act.

[h=4]Evidence of registration[/h]

15 (1) A person must not
use or operate an off-road vehicle that is registered with the Insurance
Corporation of British Columbia under this Act on Crown land or
prescribed private land unless

(a) the person has in his or her possession the
certificate of registration, or a copy of it, issued for the off-road
vehicle under this Act, and

(b) the off-road vehicle has displayed on it, in the
manner prescribed, the number plate, decal or sticker issued under this
Act in respect of that off-road vehicle.

(2) A person must not use or operate an off-road vehicle that is registered and licensed under the Motor Vehicle Act or the Commercial Transport Act on Crown land or prescribed private land unless

(a) the person has in his or her possession the licence, or a copy of it, issued for the off-road vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Act or the Commercial Transport Act, and

(b) the off-road vehicle has displayed on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plate issued under the Motor Vehicle Act or the Commercial Transport Act in respect of that off-road vehicle.

(3) A person must not use or operate an off-road
vehicle referred to in section 14 (c) (i) on Crown land or prescribed
private land unless the person has in his or her possession the
documentation issued by the other jurisdiction in respect of the
off-road vehicle that is specified by regulation.

[h=4]Non-resident operating permit[/h]

16 (1) Subject to this
section and the regulations, the minister may issue a non-resident
operating permit to an owner of an off-road vehicle if the owner is not a
resident of British Columbia.

(2) An application for a non-resident operating permit must

(a) be made in the form and manner required by the minister,

(b) include any information or documents required by the minister, and

(c) be accompanied by the prescribed fees.

(3) A non-resident operating permit is valid only for
the period stated on the permit, which period must not be greater than
the prescribed period.

(4) The minister may include in a non-resident
operating permit any terms, limits or conditions the minister considers
appropriate.

(5) A person must not use or operate an off-road
vehicle on Crown land or prescribed private land under the authority of a
non-resident operating permit issued for the off-road vehicle unless
the person

(a) has in his or her possession the non-resident operating permit, or a copy of it, and

(b) complies with the terms, limits and conditions of the non-resident operating permit.

https://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm#section15

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've now spoken to two officers from McBride, they are not 100% sure of how this new legislation is too work.

However, here is what they did tell me:

Your licence plate NEEDS to be mounted on your machine, the registration MUST be current and you MUST be able to produce Insurance and registration when asked.
They both also said not to sweat it too much for the first year as "they are just as confused by it as we are"

I have also sent an email in to ICBC for further information.

Now, I don't want to mount my plate to my tunnel, or anywhere on the machine where I have to drill holes....... Maybe we need to come up with some sort of a license plate mount for Snowmobiles?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Zip ties until mile 1 then cut it off and stuff it into backpack.

good theory, but now, you're coming down the trail and they are waiting for you at the bottom..... stop at Mile 1 and put it back on?

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bolt mine on my snow flap,so that it still allows me to flip my flap up in deep snow.(come on deep snow).

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zip ties until mile 1 then cut it off and stuff it into backpack.

Not worth the frustration and effort anymore. Went back to just pop-riveting it on to the side of the tunnel. Don't understand why everyone has such a problem with displaying their plate.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drill 4 holes in my flap, put my plate in the glove box and my poor me story of it came off on the hill, and i have nothing to put it on till i get to the truck will continue.....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Not worth the frustration and effort anymore. Went back to just pop-riveting it on to the side of the tunnel. Don't understand why everyone has such a problem with displaying their plate.
Covers my sled wrap

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
And looks like dog chit. Perhaps manufacturers need to start coming up with a mounting solution.

I've got an idea for one for the cats in my head that uses the bolt on the rear of the seat. I don't have time right now to make it happen but hopefully I will thru the winter.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drill 4 holes in my flap, put my plate in the glove box and my poor me story of it came off on the hill, and i have nothing to put it on till i get to the truck will continue.....
There's thinking with ur dipstick

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I've got an idea for one for the cats in my head that uses the bolt on the rear of the seat. I don't have time right now to make it happen but hopefully I will thru the winter.

Would probably work pretty damn fine too (except I left the bolt out LOL), and if it does, you may wanna make a few. But is the small seat pack that my sled came with, or the 2 Mountain Addiction racks gonna interfere?

I like the 4 holes in the flap idea too. Lol. Keep 4 bolts and nuts in the trailer as your "fix".

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Would probably work pretty damn fine too (except I left the bolt out LOL), and if it does, you may wanna make a few. But is the small seat pack that my sled came with, or the 2 Mountain Addiction racks gonna interfere?

I like the 4 holes in the flap idea too. Lol. Keep 4 bolts and nuts in the trailer as your "fix".

doesn't matter, its mounted, if its on the side of your tunnel and buried in 2" of ice, is it visible?

Top Bottom