Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
[ by the way i like your avatar.[/QUOTE]

Hope theres no copyright on avatars,I kinda copied it:d:d

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its been 6 months sence someone posted in this add and i think it is a really good subject i just spent a whole hour reading start to finish and there are some really good points in here so im making a post to brine it back to the top so that maybe some other peeps will read it to

and i (and my girl friend) wear helmets and i think that everyone should too. i also think that if somebody doesn't want to where a helmet it is there choice, but then again its not there choice what type of wood; or color of wood/ivory that they are buryed in. That choice gets left up to their wife/husband/mother/father/sister/brother/daughter/son or any combination of the latter

just my:twocents:

bsan1827

Reaction score
I was one of those guys that looked lightlt on the wearing of helmets until last May Long Weekend. The family decided to go out camping by the Red Deer River Ranch, of course we had some quads ou there with us. The men spent the day out playing around, 1 helmet between 4 of us (worn by my brother).Well the women took the machines out for a ride, and my wife who had never ridden before was given a 400 Scrambler to ride. They rode for about 45 minutes when my sister in law came back to camp alone in a panic. My wife lost control while turning, we think she must have hit the powerband and the rear kicked out. She hit a bush, flew over the handlebars, twisting the steering shaft in the process, and went head first into a tree. She had a concussion, broken orbital bone in her right eye, spiderweb fractures in her skull plus multiple scrapes and bruises. The fault I think lies with all of us who were out there, we should have had more helmets available, a 1st time rider should not have been on that machine and we should not have pressured someone who was not comfortable to ride. We'll never be able to force people to do what's best, trust me I work construction safety and know how hard compliance is. But I will not ride without a helmet, nor will i let anyone use my machine without one.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Damn ,that must of been murder on your nerves, but true, you should where a helmet at all times. I don't take my helmet off untill i shut my machine down. Goin to try a new salespitch this year.
Buy a quad get a free helmet(hjc) & goggles(smith). this will ensure that every rider that purchases a quad from us will be protected from the neck up. :beer::d:beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was one of those guys that looked lightlt on the wearing of helmets until last May Long Weekend. The family decided to go out camping by the Red Deer River Ranch, of course we had some quads ou there with us. The men spent the day out playing around, 1 helmet between 4 of us (worn by my brother).Well the women took the machines out for a ride, and my wife who had never ridden before was given a 400 Scrambler to ride. They rode for about 45 minutes when my sister in law came back to camp alone in a panic. My wife lost control while turning, we think she must have hit the powerband and the rear kicked out. She hit a bush, flew over the handlebars, twisting the steering shaft in the process, and went head first into a tree. She had a concussion, broken orbital bone in her right eye, spiderweb fractures in her skull plus multiple scrapes and bruises. The fault I think lies with all of us who were out there, we should have had more helmets available, a 1st time rider should not have been on that machine and we should not have pressured someone who was not comfortable to ride. We'll never be able to force people to do what's best, trust me I work construction safety and know how hard compliance is. But I will not ride without a helmet, nor will i let anyone use my machine without one.

Big family rule in our house. If any of the kids so much as touch a quad/bike without a helmet it's gone. They are only allowed to ride when supervised by my husband or I. Appropriate footwear is a must. We started them on very small machines to get their skills developed too.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I hope your wife gets better soon dude.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on second thought il keep my opinions to myself

Last edited:

bsan1827

Reaction score
She's mostly healed up although she still has no feeling in the one side of her face. She's even gotten back on and started trying to ride again. just flat fields and barely breaks double digit speeds but ya gotta start somewhere. Try going out in public with your wife while she looks like this, way people look at you is terrible.

Attachments

• PICT0049.jpg
    PICT0049.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 114

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
gladto hear she's getting back into the saddle, good on her....on a brighter note I'd have some fun with the situation considering all worked out alright and she will be alright.....next time your in line at walmart with a bunch of people around pipe up and say..."listen woman you know what happened the last time you woulden't let me get the twinkies....looks like it's gonna be anothe whisky night"

No disrespect but the reaction would be priceless, worst case scenario youd end up with matching shiners...

Bogger:beer:

psycoticmudder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She's mostly healed up although she still has no feeling in the one side of her face. She's even gotten back on and started trying to ride again. just flat fields and barely breaks double digit speeds but ya gotta start somewhere. Try going out in public with your wife while she looks like this, way people look at you is terrible.

hope you heal fast. dont stop riding.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AHAHAHAH I'd pay alot of money to be standing in Wal-Mart when you said that...with a video camera

bsan1827

Reaction score
This happened last May so the bruises are all healed, its just the fear of the machine she has to deal with, and some minor nerve damage.

ridenhigh

Reaction score
Lots of good points.
I was surprised to see some people state that if a negligent rider gets hurt that it would not effect others. They would just die or be a vegetable and no longer be able to effect us. i.e. Problem solved.
If there is an insurance claim, everyone's insurance premiums (could) be increased.
If the rider dies, this is a loss to a family and friends, an employer, a parent, child, community etc. These are people we need even if they make poor decisions at times.
If the rider sustains injuries that require medical attention, long term care etc. Who pays for that? We all do!

Sometimes I have passengers in my car or truck that don't want to wear a seat belt because it isn't cool or because they are in opposition to laws. I say put it on or get out for 2 reasons.
1. If we are in a collision, you become a projectile in my vehicle and I don't want you injuring me or the other passengers because of your poor decision.
2. I don't want to pay for your medical bills or long term care through my taxes because of your poor decision.

Just one more reason to wear a helmet in my opinion.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because I don't belong to a "club" does not mean I do not have the right to speak my mind (I hope that's not what you are getting at) and club members are not the only responsible riders. I also vote in the elections, pay taxes, etc., so I will continue to speak my mind against more legislation in this country that restricts our right to make choices for ourselves. I don't disagree that riding with a helmet on is safer than without. But I want the right to make that decision for myself. It's called freedom. I don't want the government always telling me what is best for me. I'm a big boy, I can and should have the right to do that for myself. If I get hurt, I'll have no one to blame but myself. Furthermore, your earlier post that talked about the fact that they were not wearing helmets so they were breaking the law. I heard nothing about "condolences" or such for those hurt, so your comments about "condolences" rings hollow. You have a right to your views, but I don't believe you should be trying to force your views (through legislation) on everyone else.

As long as the government is paying for your medical costs, they absolutely have the right to tell you you need to wear a helmet. If you don't like that, move to the US and pay your own medical bills. You will see what stupidity and freedom really costs!

Same thing as seatbelts. Wearing them saves more lives than not, and the gov't recognized the reduction in cost to them, plus to everyone else who pays insurance and made it the law several decades ago. If it only affected YOU, they wouldn't care. But it affects everyone. Including the first responders, people in the hospitals, witnesses, your family and friends, your empoyer, and everyone else who unfortunately ends up being privy to your so called FREEDOM to decide what is safe for you and ends up with dealing with you dead or your melon smashed to pieces cause you felt not wearing a helmet was ok.

Top Bottom