Bad Quad Accident in Redwater

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I just ask WHY people do not like wearing hemets ??? There are so many different types ou there to choose from I am sure you could find one right for you.

It is like having sex without a condom. YEAH sure feels a lot better but could end up costing you in the long run

MY 2C
Prolly same people.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It might be an individuals right to make his or her own decision to wear proper riding gear but please don't be so selfish and self centered to think that the decision only affects you. I personally don't have the heart to drive by a drunk, busted up atv'er with no helmet and carry on with my own ride. It wrecks my whole day and I usally get somebody elses blood and broken teeth on my stuff. I AM talking from experience.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a general statment, not directed at anyone.

I agree that people should have there own oppinion and make there own decisions on what to wear and what not to. Everything you do on a daily bases has risks. Knowing that you can reduce the risk in this case an accident. My question is why would you not wear the appropriote gear that would greatly reduce your chance of injury.... Yah, you could ride for days, months even years and never have a mishap. but that risk is still there. Being selfish and not protecting yourself, makes others uncomfortable.Afterall there the ones who are going to be there for you when in need.
No gear..... No ride with me.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be an individuals right to make his or her own decision to wear proper riding gear but please don't be so selfish and self centered to think that the decision only affects you. I personally don't have the heart to drive by a drunk, busted up atv'er with no helmet and carry on with my own ride. It wrecks my whole day and I usally get somebody elses blood and broken teeth on my stuff. I AM talking from experience.

I am with you Darcy....because I was wearing the right gear(helmet & kidney belt) while riding with you I was able to walk away relatively unscathed (bump, ruises and really wet) and you, Murminator, and Dragonlady were there to pickup my broken quad. The other quick lesson that I learned on my day of carnage was we all have different skill levels and one should be careful not to over-ride just to keep up. Wear the Gear and know your limits "Accident can and will happen" We would all rather talk to each other than about each other.

crushd

Reaction score
I don't think the point is if we should wear helmets. Most everyone agrees that helmets are a good thing to wear. I think the point me and some others are trying to make is that making another law won't neccessarily fix the problem. Maybe instead of making all these laws that are difficult to enforce, there should be a little more education so that people can make better choices for themselves. I know I don't have all the answers, but making another law isn't going to change a whole lot.

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell me Redrum, why is the fact that they did not have shirts on a bother to you? Do you want a law requiring people to wear shirts while riding ATVs also? Do you need the government to regulate your life for you? I don't,

I think what most people are saying is that these people getting hurt is something totally preventable and sooner or later the government will step in and do something about it wether we like it or not and as far as i'm concerned when they get involved it never turns out good but its these people who continue to make these bad choices that will leave them no choice and who knows how far the gov will take it, how long before our dangerous machines are illegal to use on crown land or anywhere outside our own property.

Reactions: LBZ

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For my personal opinion not wearing a helmet is just Gods way of culling the herd.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell me Redrum, why is the fact that they did not have shirts on a bother to you? Do you want a law requiring people to wear shirts while riding ATVs also? Do you need the government to regulate your life for you? I don't, but I know there are people out there that feel they need the government to look after them from birth until death. Are you one of those people? I'm not surprised you got the reaction you did. Do you also go around asking people why they smoke? My point is, while it is obviously safer to ride with a helmet, that choice should be made by that individual, not you. That's why you were told to mind your own business. You're intentions may have been good, but I'm not sure. As for ruining the sport, how about "club" members that simply don't know how to ride and have accidents (while riding helmets) because they are simply not that bright? They don't make the sport look good either. Its people that that cut fences, drive on private property without permission, leave garbage, etc. that are giving the sport more of a black eye than riders without helmets. If you think that riding without a shirt or helmet is ruining the sport, then the sport is doomed and we may as well just burn our ATVs because there will be no riding and no one to sell them to.
That fact that they didn`t have shirts on is not the real issue here... None of them had any protective gear on what so ever. I realize a shirt is not going to protect them as they wheelie across the highway or rip down the ditch at 40 + mph. But if your going to ride like an idiot, atleast wear a helmet. The last thing I want is to be the first on scene of an atv accident where someone wasn`t wearing atleast a helmet..... I`m very proud of this sport and try to promote it the best I can out here. If we as ATV riders don`t stick up for this sport and try to educate those that don`t care or don`t know, then as the death toll rises we can expect the Gov`t to step in and tell us what we will and won`t be able to do. Just because there is no helmet law doesn`t mean we shouldn`t wear one!!! As a parent, I would never think of sending my kid out on an atv without one, why as an adult do some of us think we don`t need to wear one then? We should lead by example... As for club riders having accidents? We are all human and I`m sure accidents can and will happen... I can`t ever recall hearing on the news a club of atv`ers killed while riding. However, I do recall hearing about lots of deaths that could have been pevented by education and proper protective gear. This sport has a bad enough reputation out here... I see more and more `no atv` signs popping up everwhere I go. Am I suppose to sit back and let those who don`t have any respect for this sport ruin it for us or step up and defend and support it????

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my own oppinion from experience and broken bones and flesh. i used to be one of the biggest idiot riders out there. id be driving on pavement with any kind of machine with it maxed out at 70+ miles ph. and ripping doghnuts on lawns and being an idiot all with no helmet or anything on. in fact i got dared to go down a highway as ast as i could with NO CLOTHES on! and i would flip quads and itd be a near miss . i rolled a quad front over backwards down a steep lease hill and almost killed me! but i got back up and kept on it and flipped it half an hour later. the point is i learned the hard way. at brightsands lake i rolled my friends prowler and messed up my elbow and scratched me up and i almost killed myself. but what really got me is that i almost killed my friend brett in the passenger seat. we of course had the ipod in and no swhirts or seatbelts and i was driving full out on the gravel road drifting when it happened. ever since i went out and bought full mx gear, and a new helmet and ever since i have not driven or riddin in any sort of utv or 2 seater off road vehicle. not even are golf cart! it it peple like that, people that i used to be that are ruining our chances and i keep telling people this because i really love atv's and i grew up on them and i even want to race them professionally and if this keeps up it aint gunna happen. atv's will be shut down!

• Recommends
Reactions: LBZ

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you matured and realized your bad ways Skyboy before you became a statistic. Now take that new found enthusiastic attitude out there and teach your young peers the way. :Happy6: :bluesbros::Cool9::You_Rock:

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my own oppinion from experience and broken bones and flesh. i used to be one of the biggest idiot riders out there. id be driving on pavement with any kind of machine with it maxed out at 70+ miles ph. and ripping doghnuts on lawns and being an idiot all with no helmet or anything on. in fact i got dared to go down a highway as ast as i could with NO CLOTHES on! and i would flip quads and itd be a near miss . i rolled a quad front over backwards down a steep lease hill and almost killed me! but i got back up and kept on it and flipped it half an hour later. the point is i learned the hard way. at brightsands lake i rolled my friends prowler and messed up my elbow and scratched me up and i almost killed myself. but what really got me is that i almost killed my friend brett in the passenger seat. we of course had the ipod in and no swhirts or seatbelts and i was driving full out on the gravel road drifting when it happened. ever since i went out and bought full mx gear, and a new helmet and ever since i have not driven or riddin in any sort of utv or 2 seater off road vehicle. not even are golf cart! it it peple like that, people that i used to be that are ruining our chances and i keep telling people this because i really love atv's and i grew up on them and i even want to race them professionally and if this keeps up it aint gunna happen. atv's will be shut down!

Glad to hear you grew up, too bad there isn`t more people like yourself that are willing to admit their ways and do something about it.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
Just because I don't belong to a "club" does not mean I do not have the right to speak my mind (I hope that's not what you are getting at) and club members are not the only responsible riders. I also vote in the elections, pay taxes, etc., so I will continue to speak my mind against more legislation in this country that restricts our right to make choices for ourselves. I don't disagree that riding with a helmet on is safer than without. But I want the right to make that decision for myself. It's called freedom. I don't want the government always telling me what is best for me. I'm a big boy, I can and should have the right to do that for myself. If I get hurt, I'll have no one to blame but myself. Furthermore, your earlier post that talked about the fact that they were not wearing helmets so they were breaking the law. I heard nothing about "condolences" or such for those hurt, so your comments about "condolences" rings hollow. You have a right to your views, but I don't believe you should be trying to force your views (through legislation) on everyone else.

i dont really belong to a club. the outlaws is an unofficial club. no prez etc... just a bunch of local guys and gals meeting up for rides. shared interests, ya know all that good stuff. kind of like the local watering hole. as for the AOHVA, they are defintely not a club but a lobby group that is nationally recognized and has standing with the government. they are able to speak on our behalves and the government at least considers it unlike when we complain and such falling on deaf ears. and just so ya know i would never say to someone to not speak thier mind because they werent a member of a club. what i meant by my comment is that i have voted, i support the AOHVA and all that good stuff and i have the right to complain when they make decisions that affect me. if you dont vote and they do something you dont like or your party didnt make it well get involved next time. i hear and see too many people bitching about stuff and then not doing anything about it. i have the same views in certain cultural aspects. and before anyone gets upset, i am a member of a minority, i dont look it but i am. and i refuse to get recognized as one because i dont want to be a poster boy or a statistic. i would rather work hard and be recognized because of what i have done or have, not becuase of my culture or skin color. unlike my mother and brother but that is a different storey. lol. as for the right to make decisions on my own and not be legislated into it, yes alot of people can do that and do it everyday as do i. but alot of people that seem to lack the ability to do it also affect me and others like you. i would rather a law telling them and us what to do within reason than laws outlawing the sport altogether. the negative stories etc dont say that the majority dont do this but lumps us all into one catagory. ohv users. so in my opinion, these guys/gals/statistics speak on my behalf, which i dont appreciate and, i am assuming here, but i'm sure you dont appreciate either. i dont want people getting hurt or killed but would rather the storey started with a drunk atv driver killed themsleves while breaking the law etc... something like the stories involving regular drunk drivers. nobody gives me a dirty look or a hard time while driving my truck after reading a storey about that in the news. and finally as for the lack of condolences in this post i didnt take this as an actual storey, this seemed to me to be an, i heard.... yadda yadd yadda. if you would care to look back at some of the posts i have made in regards to these types of stories you would see that i do say exactely that. i feel for the families and friends of these people, they didnt have the choice. but the actual victim chose not to ride with a helmet or drunk or speeding, whatever caused the accident, and i dont feel bad for them. i dont wish it upon them but feel they got what they deserved. if you choose to take risks as we all do when it comes to this sport then you also choose your fate. i choose to do hill climbs on my sport quad and choose to wear appropraite gear to minimize the risk, but if i were to get injured or killed i dont think that because of my decision you should be looked upon badly or differently. as we do now when these stories surface. anyway long winded and all that but i guess it could be summarized by saying that these people are forcing thier views upon me, so why shouldnt i force my views upon them by supporting certain laws or legislation. it is better than the alternative. oh boy, here i go again. lol. if the stories would start with, some idiot......blah blah blah, then i wouldnt have a problem and definately wouldnt support a helmet law. ok, seriously i'm done now. anybody need a furnace or air conditioner? lol.

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what else can we do though? i hate the hippi type where its all about save the enviroment and that quads and other vehicles are bad energy and crapt like that but on the other hand i think that people should just honestly THINK! and be senseful on trails and ask permission to ride on private land and such. i am not going to tell anyone that they have to wear a helmet and full gear like i do now but i will voice my oppinion that they SHOULD! what else can we do?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all the best to the people involved, BUT we live in canada and have the choice to make these decisions, RIGHT OR WRONG and I agree the inocent person who finds this injured or dead guy on the road because of no helmet is not fair either, but if we lived in some other countries your wife would wear blankets over her head (no direspect intended), if ya lived in the USA you could be at war without the option and some countries we would never have the oppurtunity to do any of this. so the more we all ask for LAWS is the less FREEDOM we will have and I agree some people should have no freedom. But if all of us want to control others decisions then some one will control yours and maybe BAN ATVs all together, and if you are stupid enough to do these dumb azz things maybe ya deserve it, MAYBE there should be a law to have kids because there are more idiots in this world with real babies in their house than idiots with no helmets.
make a mistake once and learn but if ya do it twice shame on you and you deserve whats coming.
enjoy the freedom because every day there is less of it.
WHEN ITS YOUR TIME ITS YOUR TIME,
and I thought the world was over populated any way, all this talk of no water, no oil, maybe we should be like the SPARTANS and only bread the best genes, white trash multiplies at a rate of 3 times to a functional family we are doomed regardless.
dont worry about other people and if ya are that worried some one will die with no helmet well sell your quad and send the money to a 3rd world country so 100s of children wont die of starvation, the only reason most people say they care is for there own good, so they dont ban ATVs because of idiots not wearing heklmets.
RANT OVER and dont take it personal its just the truth, I wish no one harm but I too could sell all my toys and feed 100s as well, but I only sponsor one child in Africa and there are many.

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all the best to the people involved, BUT we live in canada and have the choice to make these decisions, RIGHT OR WRONG and I agree the inocent person who finds this injured or dead guy on the road because of no helmet is not fair either, but if we lived in some other countries your wife would wear blankets over her head (no direspect intended), if ya lived in the USA you could be at war without the option and some countries we would never have the oppurtunity to do any of this. so the more we all ask for LAWS is the less FREEDOM we will have and I agree some people should have no freedom. But if all of us want to control others decisions then some one will control yours and maybe BAN ATVs all together, and if you are stupid enough to do these dumb azz things maybe ya deserve it, MAYBE there should be a law to have kids because there are more idiots in this world with real babies in their house than idiots with no helmets.
make a mistake once and learn but if ya do it twice shame on you and you deserve whats coming.
enjoy the freedom because every day there is less of it.
WHEN ITS YOUR TIME ITS YOUR TIME,
and I thought the world was over populated any way, all this talk of no water, no oil, maybe we should be like the SPARTANS and only bread the best genes, white trash multiplies at a rate of 3 times to a functional family we are doomed regardless.
dont worry about other people and if ya are that worried some one will die with no helmet well sell your quad and send the money to a 3rd world country so 100s of children wont die of starvation, the only reason most people say they care is for there own good, so they dont ban ATVs because of idiots not wearing heklmets.
RANT OVER and dont take it personal its just the truth, I wish no one harm but I too could sell all my toys and feed 100s as well, but I only sponsor one child in Africa and there are many.

i agree. but at the same time i dont know how you could stomach the idea of "culling the herd" even if someone makes stupid choices that doesnt mean they dont mean anything! for example if you find a homeless person or drug addict on the street do you think to yourself- well hes made bad decisions he shouldnt be hear he should just be gone because of over population? i say no! they should be given help so they can do good in the world. and i mean no disrespect to you johni. because i agree that people should be able to make there own decisions and we are ucky to live in canada but i think its our responsibility to educate and help the people who dont. so they dont do it. no matter what the goverment or we do there will always be the retards who dont care. but we can slim that number to the minamal if we educate people what happens when you dont. i wish some one took the time to tell me thats for sure!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree. but at the same time i dont know how you could stomach the idea of "culling the herd" even if someone makes stupid choices that doesnt mean they dont mean anything! for example if you find a homeless person or drug addict on the street do you think to yourself- well hes made bad decisions he shouldnt be hear he should just be gone because of over population? i say no! they should be given help so they can do good in the world. and i mean no disrespect to you johni. because i agree that people should be able to make there own decisions and we are ucky to live in canada but i think its our responsibility to educate and help the people who dont. so they dont do it. no matter what the goverment or we do there will always be the retards who dont care. but we can slim that number to the minamal if we educate people what happens when you dont. i wish some one took the time to tell me thats for sure!

good point, everyone deserves a fair chance and I think every single person in this Country gets a fair chance at life, Drug users or homeless people should get help and last time I checked there is lots available, for free from our tax dollars, its a fine line but the point I was making is that we could all help many people but really we dont. and yes culling the heard is a bit extreme and not my comment and its not for me to decide. and as I mentioned I wish no harm or negativity to anyone. and I wish the best too many people in trouble.
cheers:d

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point, everyone deserves a fair chance and I think every single person in this Country gets a fair chance at life, Drug users or homeless people should get help and last time I checked there is lots available, for free from our tax dollars, its a fine line but the point I was making is that we could all help many people but really we dont. and yes culling the heard is a bit extreme and not my comment and its not for me to decide. and as I mentioned I wish no harm or negativity to anyone. and I wish the best too many people in trouble.
cheers:d

in that case i misunderstood what you wrote and i apolagize. your thinking is the same as mine or mines the same as yours. whichever way you wanna look at it. your 100% right in that way.

Top Bottom