Avalanche in valemount today !! Omg ...

antman

Reaction score
we were the ones that outran avalanche on thursday in climina. pretty scary. condolences to the family and friends.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
please read SAD DAY in snowmobile chat:(

This is aVERY SAD DAY for sure.. Ryan was a great guy and always enjoyed chattin with him when he stopped in to say hi at specialty.. He will be missed for sure.. And definitely go to other thread to read.. So sad to hear..

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was trying to figure if this was 2 seperate avalanches, or the same one.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i rode with antman on thursday and we set one off. it was on the way to morning glory, we had poked the hill about 15 times and we were about to leave and thats when it broke. our buddy out ran it and know one was hurt, but it scared us real good. it was the closest the 3 of us had been to the white monster, we thought the spot was safe but it was not! we rode chappell on friday, and when we seen the rcmp and the ambulance at clemina we felt sick, we all said i hope everyone is safe, but sadly someone had lost there life somewhere near the hill climb, play safe, our prayers and condolances to the families of all affected.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just herd of another avy that took a life yesturday in tumble ridge(sat) not good guys, play safe out there...

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello fellow sledders; My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I was up in valmount when this happened, riding in allen, This year I took ZacsTracs course and learned alot. It kept me and my group off big slopes that we normaly play on and we still had two days of fun in the trees and lower meadows. Now I know its know fun with the big hp sleds that some have but you must still think out there. Your family has to be more important than climbing straight up and down. The really good riders can play on hills that have trees to manouver around, much more of a challange. On sunday I got the field part of the coures and found out things that I thought I knew. In the course there were people that had been riding for years that didn't even know how to use thier beacon. Now Lori and Randy went to help dig out the burried person, and told us what happened. The group were high marking just feet from an area that had slid already. That alone would be a great indecater that it was not safe. During the rescue the searcher thought that he found the person and they started to dig only to find out that they were in the wrong spot because one person did not put his beacon to recieve and they got him. The person was only six feet down, the instructors said that the gruop was a panic which is understandable Take a course and be smart out there. I hope that I have not offended anyone but I just think poeple need to be educated. Its not all about big hp and going straight up and down. Know whats good and bad and know how to use your beacon to find not one but two or three people. Please be careful out there.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were in clemina that day, scary. i must have seen 15 slides over the weekend. stick to the gentle stuff. actually i cant even say that, i saw some things sliding you would never expect this weekend.

HIGH ALTITUDE

Reaction score
My deepest condolences to family & friends.

We were in millage (chappel creek) saturday, one big natural avalanche just over the hill from the lake into the 2nd bowl. Rode clemina sunday, mostly for the scenery as it was all tracked up and also was a clear day. We saw 3 slides, all were triggered by sledders. All from high marking were no one should be in these conditions. The one that claimed the life was the biggest, it was behind the cabin. The tracks went to the top and thats were it broke loose. I heard from another sledder he was side hilling when it let go. I should have taken a picture. It gave us that sick feeling in your stomach as a life can be claimed so quickly and unnecessarily. On all of the slides, it was very evident the weak layer is at the rocks. I don't think it will get any better this year, probably worse after all the melting this weekend leaving another crusty layer for the snow to settle on. Everyone, this is not the year to push your sleds to the top, enjoy the scenery and come home safe. There are plenty of areas to enjoy that are safe.

I suggest everyone take an avalanche course, not only to know what to do in case of an avalanche, but to know what to do to prevent one. The signs in the snow are good indicators where you should stay away from. We witnessed guys & girls making many mistakes. One sledder stuck in the side of the hill, others climbing over him as he was digging out. Maybe the guy triggers a slide onto the other guy, his sleds gets away on him & crashes into him. Parking diectly at the bottom of the hill, if an avalanche comes down, the whole group is buried. Park far away from the bottom, one sledder on the hill at a time, point your sled in a direction that gives you an escape route. Have your sled ready to start in an emergency (0-ring under the kill switch so it always stays up), tether connected etc. Where your backpacks with your survival gear at all times, it does you no good sitting at the bottom of the hill. If you don't have any you should not be sledding in the mountains. It is all common sense. Drinking & smoking dope on the hill, everyone to there own. but when you are out there you need your wits about you. Leave that to after your are at the hotel.

Just my 2 cents.

I just don't want to here of any more people loosing their lives, it can be prevented. Common Sense.

revhead800

Reaction score
S&R from Mcbride was called to an avy in Clemina. 2 down, 1 made it, the other did not. Heli'ed out before we got there. Sad so close to home.

How are the weather conditions there? What is the avalanche report like? We are heading to McBride this Thursday and was wondering what the snow conditions are like? Is is safe or should we stay home? Thanks!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are the weather conditions there? What is the avalanche report like? We are heading to McBride this Thursday and was wondering what the snow conditions are like? Is is safe or should we stay home? Thanks!!

You can go up the mtn and be safe and not have any issues if you go up there and use your common sense.. The hazard is high right now.. But what you do is go up and play in the meadows and flat area's or gentle slopes.. Keeep yourself out of terrain traps and just be aware of your surroundings.. This is what i'd do if it was me personally headed up which i'm hopeing to do early this week..

skidewrr

Reaction score
I just want to wish my condolences to friends and family of the poor soul involved in the Avalance......RIP..........

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
R.i.p. ..... Condolensces to family and friends....:(:(:( sad times for sure..........
We saw lots of avy activity, but played in safe areas of blue river all weekend....this has changed the way we ride....

Top Bottom