800 Etec Summit - Engine Help Needed

ratpak

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 2011 Ski Doo Summit freeride 800 Etec and it's been running awesome up 'til now. I'm hoping someone on here can tell me what the problem might be.

Last weekend, we went to Blue River. It was +3 and my sled was overheating up the trail. I had the ice scratchers down and pulled through as many snow drifts as possible. I watched the engine temp closely and the check engine light came on a few times. Everything seemed fine once we got up to holy grail.

On a few pulls, I realized that I wasn't pulling more than 7200 RPM, so I adjusted my clickers to 5 and thats when my problems started. Instead of getting higher RPMs, it would sputter and lose RPMs after about 6000 RPM. I changed the clickers back to 3 and it ran okay again, but still wouldn't pass 7200 RPM.

We went to another area and I tried adjusting the clickers again. Same problem... I pulled a plug and it seems to be running rich. As long as I stay under 6500 - 7000 RPM, it seams to run fine and doesn't sputter.

A little back ground on the sled; it's all stock except for an MBRP can. It runs on premium only, but I have been adding a little extra oil (BRP Semi-Syn) to the gas on fill up as advised by someone else.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may be in limp mode from running hot. You will need to take it to your dealer to get it checked on B.U.D.S. As well you do not need to add extra oil to your tank. That is not needed for this sled.

ratpak

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I was hoping it would be something simple like that. Is there anyway to get these things to run a little cooler on warmer days? Maybe changing the antifreeze mix ratio or something. I have air vents everywhere, scratchers, and a temp gauge to monitor everything.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've actually seen guys running scratchers on the skid and there ski's on sleds with 3 inch tracks. Not sure that is necessary for the stock setup though.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Hmmmm...I was riding Blue River last weekend as well and I was riding a 2012 E-tec 800. Not 1 issue other than getting the exhaust plugged when stuck/shifting sled. It was turned off when we were moving it around and it wouldn't run properly until we shifted it again and cleared exhaust. But no overheating troubles at all. Again, Hmmmmmm....Electronics, faulty sensor, air bubble, thermostat, those are related to overheating issues but I agree with Snopro, get it hooked up and see what the system says. One thing fer sure, it's something.

ratpak

Reaction score
I'm gonna take it into the dealer. I hope they can get a code a find the problem. I'm just a little nervous that I'll bring it in and they'll tell me they don't know, but be more than happy to charge me for a bunch of "maybe this'll fix it" items...

Anyone recommend a good ski doo service department? One, who's first question isn't "did you buy it here?" like at Martin Eq south. I'd rather drive an hour each way than have to take it to them. I don't know how or why their service department stays in business. The parts and accessories people are great to deal with, but the service department isn't. (maybe because I didn't buy my used sled there... Not sure why it makes a difference if I'm still paying.)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riderz in edson should help yah out. Might be alttle farther than you want to go tho.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it ends up being a cooling issue swap to propylene glycol mixed 60/40 with distilled water. It does allow for cooler runing temps.

Is your snow flap still stock length?

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sled should have engine warranty still, I go see cory at riverside in st albert and never have problems with them. I agree about martin on some other issues I had with them before. Good luck

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i second cory at riverside , there service department has drastically improved over the years

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i second cory at riverside , there service department has drastically improved over the years

Maybe at the counter but the techs haven't. My experience which isnt really mine, was an idiotic diagnosis for my cousins crf250r. Luckily I'm a former motorcycle tech and saved him $1500 in unneeded parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratpak

Reaction score
If it ends up being a cooling issue swap to propylene glycol mixed 60/40 with distilled water. It does allow for cooler runing temps.

Is your snow flap still stock length?

No, I foolishly trimmed the bottom off to look cool like the other kids... Damn peer-pressure. lol.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powder snow screws with almost all sleds, so it may be just the air filter cloged up but at plus three you shouldn't have that problem. It is a good place to start though.

Roy Munson

Reaction score
sounds like there is an airlock in the cooling system.happened to me once and what i did was pull the sled half way onto the deck so the engine was higher than the backend,pulled the cap off of the bottle and fired it up.it only took a few seconds and the air bubble came out,topped er up with coolant never had an issue again.best part was i didn't have to pay a dealership $70 an hour to do a 5 minute job!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try that first. There's been a lot of talk of the snow flap being long for a reason on this site over the years. It channels it into the tunnel.

ah, we have an etec that has been trimmed, run scratchers and never overheated. It is likeley air locked as mentioned.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put on a longer snow flap again. There might be a small bubble, you can lift the front of the sled and fill the reservoir and run it but if your sled was fully air locked somewhere, it would not be an on again/off again issue, it will be overheated all the time. The fact that once you got into the alpine and off the trail and it stopped, suggests that it's your snow flap.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont put oil in the tank. etec is very sensitive about fuel additives even oil.

also as far as overheating it could have just been a fluke. blue river trails get pounded out pretty good and these etecs make most of there engine heat at 6000-7000 rpm which is typically the rpm range your running in going 20km.h through the woops with no airflow over the engine either.

i would set back to clicker 3 or 4 run some fresh fuel, no oil, a new snowflap and try again. let us know.

Top Bottom