Base gasket cause engine to seize

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So long story bought a 2017 doo 850 used from a dealer and has been using anti freeze a lot. Took it to them a few times and they pressured it up and said they couldn’t find the problem so I kept riding it then year later brought it back to them and they said the base gasket was gone so they replaced it. I noticed it still used anti freeze so before warranty I made them look into it again as I notice my oil tank was a little milky. I complained about that before as well. Anyway they pressurized another part of the engine and found that the shaft for water pump and oil tank had a bad seal and they sorta warranted most the repair. That was at end of last season so wasn’t able to ride it after repair. Took it out of the trailer beginning of this season and noticed surprise more anti freeze on the garage floor. Took it back to dealer and said the base gasket failed again and I would have to pay for it. Not happy I did though. Guess base gaskets are done every 1000 km lol. Anyway took out to Fernie this weekend and seem to run good for maybe 50 km and on trail out it made a funny sound so kid turned it off and she seized right up. Can’t pull it over now. This thing has been a nightmare. Anyway I’m thinking about taking it to a different dealer to see if they can figure out if the other dealership screwed something up. Any advice. Not gonna mention dealer til I talk with them aswell but I’m worried they don’t know what they’re doing.
Thx

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Base gasket failure on the newer Monoblock design are rare. If it does happen it is not going to to contaminate the oil tank. As you mentioned the ceramic seal on the water pump shaft failed...reasonable. Way to many issue's as you described & the servicing dealer missed it.

You have documentation of the problems, might as well head to customer service @ BRP.

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty much identical to what happened to one of our friends 2017 850, took it to Banner in Vernon I believe 5 or 6 times and they couldn't figure it out and it continued to use coolant, took it to Basecamp in Calgary and they figured it out in short order and it was a leaky water pump, they replaced it and it was good for another season before the motor piled up with 3800kms on it, it still had warranty so he got a new motor. he was very impressed with the guys at Basecamp as have some other riders we know that have used them. they may be worth a try.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty much identical to what happened to one of our friends 2017 850, took it to Banner in Vernon I believe 5 or 6 times and they couldn't figure it out and it continued to use coolant, took it to Basecamp in Calgary and they figured it out in short order and it was a leaky water pump, they replaced it and it was good for another season before the motor piled up with 3800kms on it, it still had warranty so he got a new motor. he was very impressed with the guys at Basecamp as have some other riders we know that have used them. they may be worth a try.
Yeah that’s where I bought my second summit I am riding was gonna go have a chat with them. They fixed my 13 there too. I used the other dealership because they were supposedly handling my warranty stuff and I thought they would be ok. Give them the small town loyalty. I’m curious what they will tell me. Thanks

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA, I was just gona post this. Ya beat me to it. Bastage!

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got sled into the dealer and need a little clarification of what this means. Pretty sure engines done but what does this mean:
SLED WILL NOT TURN OVER. HOOKED UP TO BUDS AND SLED HAD A HIGH DETONATION DETECTED ON PTO SIDE FAULT. THE LAST INSTANTS PROFILE SHOWED THE SLED HAD A 25% KNOCK RATING. UNIT WILL NEED TO HAVE THE ENGINE TORN down
What is the knock rating. Thanks. They need another 4 hours to do this. Any advice. Thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got sled into the dealer and need a little clarification of what this means. Pretty sure engines done but what does this mean:
SLED WILL NOT TURN OVER. HOOKED UP TO BUDS AND SLED HAD A HIGH DETONATION DETECTED ON PTO SIDE FAULT. THE LAST INSTANTS PROFILE SHOWED THE SLED HAD A 25% KNOCK RATING. UNIT WILL NEED TO HAVE THE ENGINE TORN down
What is the knock rating. Thanks. They need another 4 hours to do this. Any advice. Thanks
At minimum probably need a new bullet in the PTO side with a monoblock ala carte

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just consider that before you spend to much time and money figuring out if the motor is repairable, I would also consider looking into a new motor from BRP as I know they are very reasonable price wise compared to the other manufacturers... just some food for thought and you might get a new motor for a few bucks more than a repair...

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont do it.. if you are looking for a patch go ahead. how much is a long block?

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paid $3249 for a rebuilt motor from skidoo to go in my 2017 850 last year. Plus a $700 core charge you get back once you ship back old motor.

Mine the crank was going. New motor had an updated crank as it changed in 2019 if i recall

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quoted 3500 for 850 short block a few weeks ago. Didn't buy one, was just paying for an 800 short block and asked out of curiosity.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need more than a shitty dealer I think. If you can visually see coolant on the floor then they should have been able to figure it out but I suspect something else is not right if the base gasket is constantly failing, that's not a common failure and not a typical service interval item. Either the cylinder is bad on the base or the case is bad so it won't seal, or there is a compression leak which is causing it to overpressurize the cooling system and blow the gasket out (not really plausible because it should blow it into the reservoir tank before that but just speculating on many possible issues....).

Honestly, I would pull it from them and tear it down yourself if you have time, and really understand why its locked up - did the base gasket fail catastrophically, the coolant is gone and now its hot seized, or did it somehow go lean and its melted, etc etc. I don't trust dealers at all, even both the ones you've mentioned, just from my personal experiences.

Was there coolant all over the snow when it stopped? Was / Is there still coolant in the reservoir now? Did you pull the pipe or the plugs and look inside it?

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this has been an ongoing issue and brp is aware of it and has incorrectly diagnosing it, I would fight to have them fix it on their dime

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need more than a shitty dealer I think. If you can visually see coolant on the floor then they should have been able to figure it out but I suspect something else is not right if the base gasket is constantly failing, that's not a common failure and not a typical service interval item. Either the cylinder is bad on the base or the case is bad so it won't seal, or there is a compression leak which is causing it to overpressurize the cooling system and blow the gasket out (not really plausible because it should blow it into the reservoir tank before that but just speculating on many possible issues....).

Honestly, I would pull it from them and tear it down yourself if you have time, and really understand why its locked up - did the base gasket fail catastrophically, the coolant is gone and now its hot seized, or did it somehow go lean and its melted, etc etc. I don't trust dealers at all, even both the ones you've mentioned, just from my personal experiences.

Was there coolant all over the snow when it stopped? Was / Is there still coolant in the reservoir now? Did you pull the pipe or the plugs and look inside it?
Thanks for that. I took it to basecamp to diagnose as they’ve been good in the past so hopefully they can help me. Only reason I kept getting warranty done at other dealer is because I bought the machine there and was trying to stay small town loyal with that machine. We will see what basecamp says. If I need a new engine at least this one’s out now lol. Some labours done

Truebro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caution Basecamp is a terrible dealer...same dirty tricks Bow Cycle was up to....

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Just did a short block on my wife’s 17. Had 4237 km on it and clipped the mag side ring on the exhaust port pulling out of our driveway going to get a Xmas tree. Thanks to GVP for rounding up a short block and getting it out to me in the middle of the bush. These G4’s are the easiest swap I’ve ever done. First one I have done and had engine out parts swapped and back in amd running in about 6hrs in Seymour arm. Just make sure you have the puller for the flywheel. It’s not a standard flywheel.
EF5EEE3A-7370-4835-AC51-9EE78B80506C.jpeg
BF77799B-F84E-47DC-8C39-58371943D9C0.jpeg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did a short block on my wife’s 17. Had 4237 km on it and clipped the mag side ring on the exhaust port pulling out of our driveway going to get a Xmas tree. Thanks to GVP for rounding up a short block and getting it out to me in the middle of the bush. These G4’s are the easiest swap I’ve ever done. First one I have done and had engine out parts swapped and back in amd running in about 6hrs in Seymour arm. Just make sure you have the puller for the flywheel. It’s not a standard flywheel. View attachment 249991View attachment 249990
How does the missus feel about rebuilding a motor in the living room? Asking for a friend....:rolling:

Top Bottom