Base gasket cause engine to seize

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
very very nice! what kind of flooring does he have in there?
It’s some kind of vinyl plank designed for garage floors. That shop started out as just an RV shelter and has grown into that. Very nice place to work in. We did my sons wrap in there in November. Many beers get consumed.
C5470025-B12E-4D98-94CC-EC0757BFA8F3.jpeg

10C4CC04-2025-4427-A1B2-8A76B6159DC4.jpeg
2E708983-924E-47BB-88AC-92D4B55C9BAC.jpeg

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after the mechanic diagnosed it he said the crank bearing got really hot and caused the problem. His inspection looks like the bearing wasn’t getting enough oil causing it to seize. How is that bearing lubed. Does it have something to do with the water pump shaft? Thanks for your guys help. Just trying to put my case together if I got one

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what the dealership did and installed before it broke. Do you guys think they could’ve done something wrong to cause lack of lubrication

Attachments

• FA8056FA-DD34-44EB-967C-32A0EAC5CBD6.png
    FA8056FA-DD34-44EB-967C-32A0EAC5CBD6.png
    587.9 KB · Views: 151

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Did they prelude the water pump shaft? There’s a plug on the case under the intake that you need to fill with oil. Not sure if that could cause the shaft to prematurely fail and give you the cloudy oil. That’s the only place they could cross contaminate.
856CDA31-BE6A-40B8-88DA-D0309FF75A3B.jpeg
E2B927DE-6245-466A-B6E6-0544EB481B7A.jpeg

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they prelude the water pump shaft? There’s a plug on the case under the intake that you need to fill with oil. Not sure if that could cause the shaft to prematurely fail and give you the cloudy oil. That’s the only place they could cross contaminate.
View attachment 250041View attachment 250042
Thanks. No idea if they did. Would assume they should’ve but I no it was just one of their shop guys doing it so possible they didnt

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is a lower rod bearing failure, it is lubricated by the oil injection system. If the injection oil is contaminated with antifreeze that is what the lower rod is getting. How long would you expect that bearing to live lubricated with antifreeze & oil.

As well consider water will etch a tool harden surface such as a bearing needle. If the motor was left for any period of time the rollers & needle will etch. That mark is like sand or gravel in bearing.

Over heated, what caused that? Trying to run on milk?

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see cracks in the base gasket. Was that from their install or teardown? Can you show us on the block where it was leaking antifreeze? and what does the base gasket look like in that area? What does the other rod bearing look like? If the oil was contaminated, both sides and the crank bearings were getting the same injection so the other one should look like it was getting warm as well. Is the nikasil flaked on the top of the bore or is that just how the picture looks?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, any dealer that will deny that claim needs to be called out. I would think a case with BRP direct should warrant a engine replacement. Sounds like there is/was something missed on the first 3 visits.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, any dealer that will deny that claim needs to be called out. I would think a case with BRP direct should warrant a engine replacement. Sounds like there is/was something missed on the first 3 visits.
Just a tip for those that don’t know how things work with the manufacturers. The dealer has a a puppet and the manufacturer is the master. They are told how and when to do anything. The difference in how much a dealer has pull has changed drastically since I sold my dealership in 2009. I’m not saying there aren’t deadbeat dealers out there but for the most part the dealer wants to retain their customers while the manufacturer is only after your order. Carry on….

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see cracks in the base gasket. Was that from their install or teardown? Can you show us on the block where it was leaking antifreeze? and what does the base gasket look like in that area? What does the other rod bearing look like? If the oil was contaminated, both sides and the crank bearings were getting the same injection so the other one should look like it was getting warm as well. Is the nikasil flaked on the top of the bore or is that just how the picture looks?
Those are good questions thanks for that. They didn’t say anything about the other crank bearing. And not sure about the gasket crack but gave them all my previous paperwork and now we wait to see if they can get something done they brp

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s what I figure I’m not a mechanic by any means but the other dealer treated me like I don’t have any clue but I new something was wrong. We will see what happens

Top Bottom