3 more idiots

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
typical search and rescue thread. everyone in here is smarter than everyone else

maybe the manufacturers should pay for making snowmobiles better than the operators

maybe you need a graduated snowmobile licence before you can move up from a 146 x 2" 600cc

and then those that make it appear they're somehow even smarter but don't offer any real points to the discussion.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's too many people in the mountains and too many of them are idiots. Not sure how to fix that other than speaking up when you see dumb chit happen and take some newbies out riding. Show them the proper way to do things instead of letting them wing it with brand new 165 850's and 15 packs.

SAR will never charge and the groups never want to. Better to have 12 searches in 15 days than 12 body recoveries in 16 days cause either way SAR is going in there to get them and they may as well be alive.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a group of 4 guys coming next week to ride this area. They all have avi gear so within the first hour or so I will hiding my extra beacons so these guys can practice until i feel good that they have the ability to use their gear properly. When I told them about my plans they said it was a great plan to do.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
typical search and rescue thread. everyone in here is smarter than everyone else

maybe the manufacturers should pay for making snowmobiles better than the operators

maybe you need a graduated snowmobile licence before you can move up from a 146 x 2" 600cc

was thinking more along the lines of mtn avalanche courses and some basic understanding of the alpine? like an air brake endorsement to operate a truck with air brakes.

enforceable ?:dontknow:

if u think limiting sled size will work? ok ha

Last edited:

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need more rules, supervision, and government intervention. Fence off snow machining areas. Have a supervisor for each area that you check in with every 30 minutes. Obviously would need stricter licensing, permits, speed limits, jump height limits, etc.

Lets keep ourselves safe

wtf Deaner? Are you a liberal?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its miracle that so few people require SAR given the freedom we have to go pretty well anywhere we want in such wild environment. I think the main reason the SAR rate is so low is due to the fact that there is a large segment of the hard core sledding community that wants to help when fellow sledders are in trouble without make judgments. It's unbelievable the amount of regulations that are being cooked up on this thread by the infallible few. If you give this input to the politicians you would have to take a turn to go up the hill like they have at a water slid.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a checkstop at the bottom of the trail once in a while. Make a guy think about bringing that 15 pack next time.

i dont think its the drunk guys that need rescuing. not that im endorsing drinking and riding but typically those guys dont stray very far from the cabin LOL

its the way the machines and riding styles are evolving thats creating these issues.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
totally agree with you. I have said it a few times and most of people agree with it.
I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a checkstop at the bottom of the trail once in a while. Make a guy think about bringing that 15 pack next time.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, sure a lot of experts who never get into trouble in their lives. We live in a rich country that helps countless people around the world, we can help our own. I have personally spent countless hours volunteering with both the club and S&R, I agree with one of the many posts, if you don't want to help, stay at Zala's.
Where then do we draw the line? scrap coast guard? you guys spend much time on the ocean? seen the crap trying to float out there? or if your little plane with your dad and grandpa in it crash, too bad, they knew it was sketchy?
Instead why don't more of you experts spend some time volunteering and helping educate other riders? We do it all the time and yes some people won't listen but a lot do and have listened just as many of us did when we started.

Actually buying an ocean boat and spending time out there changed my mind on a lot of this, I am "that" guy a lot. Keen,excited, but a rookie, the thing I attribute a lot of it to is Vacation brain, where people do things they normally would not do but the vacation brain kicks in, example; Guys are so pumped to go to Revy, one trip a year, worked a lot for the trip, got family and work sorted, been with buddies in the shop for weeks getting ready, planning, many calls and texts, this trip is planned, they get to town and conditions are not that good, weather...avy conditions etc, so what stay n room? I wouldn't, but lucky me, I live here and can ride another day, but I get it, same as me on coast, worked hard for boat and time off, some days tshirt others survival jacket but no way I am sitting o the dock, and yes I am as prepared as I can, but I learn every time and lucky most others have ben great, not the same way guys jump on each other pointing fingers. I would rather be called out for helping new and unprepared riders than attend another funeral for another friend. we can use all the new riders we can to be strong and keep areas open, stop hating on each other and focus on the ones against us.

lots more to say but tping on here is glitch

Try to be kind, help others, foster the love of the mountains.

these mountains that give us life.....they take lives too, doesn't matter if you are an expert who feel in a creek or a guy on his first day, have fun, be safe but know if you need it, a group of understanding people will try and get you home to your loved ones.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I agree that the checkstop idea is a good idea, be careful for what you wish for. I myself do not see a bunch of carnage in the parking lot at the end of the day. Does it happen sure, but it doesn't seem like big issue. At least, not like the summer off-roading areas. What worries me is, cops can't just help with one issue. Now that they got you, they are looking for registrations, driver's license, etc.

I had a friend checked last year in April, mid-week in the alpine. There was like 3 trucks in the parking lot so not sure why the enforcement that day. My friend had his registration, but forgot his drivers license in the truck. Got a ticket, but cop offered to tear it up if he produced it at the detachment later. Not real convenient.

Ya and for all of you that are going to preach "the law is the law", screw that. Having to produce a license doesn't make anything safer and a simple fine doesn't do anything either.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, will sar's bring out a pepperoni pizza and maybe a six pack. lol,

likely best to just keep the guberment out of it altogether.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
wow, sure a lot of experts who never get into trouble in their lives. We live in a rich country that helps countless people around the world, we can help our own. I have personally spent countless hours volunteering with both the club and S&R, I agree with one of the many posts, if you don't want to help, stay at Zala's.
Where then do we draw the line? scrap coast guard? you guys spend much time on the ocean? seen the crap trying to float out there? or if your little plane with your dad and grandpa in it crash, too bad, they knew it was sketchy?
Instead why don't more of you experts spend some time volunteering and helping educate other riders? We do it all the time and yes some people won't listen but a lot do and have listened just as many of us did when we started.

Actually buying an ocean boat and spending time out there changed my mind on a lot of this, I am "that" guy a lot. Keen,excited, but a rookie, the thing I attribute a lot of it to is Vacation brain, where people do things they normally would not do but the vacation brain kicks in, example; Guys are so pumped to go to Revy, one trip a year, worked a lot for the trip, got family and work sorted, been with buddies in the shop for weeks getting ready, planning, many calls and texts, this trip is planned, they get to town and conditions are not that good, weather...avy conditions etc, so what stay n room? I wouldn't, but lucky me, I live here and can ride another day, but I get it, same as me on coast, worked hard for boat and time off, some days tshirt others survival jacket but no way I am sitting o the dock, and yes I am as prepared as I can, but I learn every time and lucky most others have ben great, not the same way guys jump on each other pointing fingers. I would rather be called out for helping new and unprepared riders than attend another funeral for another friend. we can use all the new riders we can to be strong and keep areas open, stop hating on each other and focus on the ones against us.

these mountains that give us life.....they take lives too, doesn't matter if you are an expert who feel in a creek or a guy on his first day, have fun, be safe but know if you need it, a group of understanding people will try and get you home to your loved ones.

A lot of wisdom in this post. Thank you.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Best post I have read in a long time.
I would not hesitate to go out and search for someone if I was called at night. But my riding skills are mediocre and I would just become another liability for SAR.
Thank you to all that volunteer their time and resources to search for lost guys.

Top Bottom