3 more idiots

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info.
As a powersport if we don't self improve there will be a lot of regulations coming out.
Riding equipment has progressed faster than the average rider has.
It is very strange that people are venturing out so ill prepared.
Don't want to poke but do people not think while they are packing their gear to go sledding.
What the hell do they discuss while driving or having breakfast.
What do they discuss with family when they get back.
All information is now just a Google away.
Mandatory training for boaters licience, see that coming to sledding soon.
It can be a dangerous game.....not sure the best education method but one is needed. To many wall mart shoppers showing up on the mountain.
The answer is??????????

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t think we can use a boaters license to compare, the boat license course is a joke, plus not near the variables with a boat as there is on the mountain, we have weather, avalanche danger, creeks, rocks, stumps, ravines, tree wells, open water, navigation skills, survival skills, basic mechanical skills, etc. Etc. The problem is that the general public has taken a shine to our sport and anyone can buy or rent a new 160something 3” and get to places in mid season we used to only ever get to in spring conditions, they have zero experience, zero awareness of their surroundings and little to no riding ability. Bottom line is it’s dangerous out there, really fkn dangerous, until everyone wanting to get into this sport realizes this, nothing will change. Not to be rude but if you don’t know what the fk your doing, either stay home or go with somebody that does know and make sure you have the proper tools/gear and the know how to use them. The liberal idea of, “you can do whatever you feel like doing little billy because you’re special”, has to stop or more people are going to die. Just because JT says you can identify as whatever you want doesn’t mean every snowflake can be a sledder.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The system needs checks and balances if this is likely to continue.

If you don't have a way to save your own @zz,,, then you foot the bill,,, a couple of hundred bucks ever hour the team is spending to address the situation.

It's up to the club to decide whether extra fees are needed if that be the case.

A set of snow-shoes is a lot cheaper than a helicopter. Ha.
Most of us know this all to well !!!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy in our group had to spend the day at a cabin on Saturday because of sled troubles. He got to see what guys are packing up the hill all day. One guy had a 15 pack of survival gear. Not sure how a 15 pack is going to help in decision making throughout your day. Seen a lot more than one guy this prepared. Not going to get all preachy but some guys should just find a different hobby.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought everyone's sled insurance should pay for rescues. Use it too much and your insurance goes through the roof. Also should include helicopter recovery for your sled. Of course it has a price but could be optional adders.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
insurance and registration and a structured licence[same as bikes(no mtn training= no mtn riding) with large fines], may eliminate a lot of problems. Although it seems like more than a few experienced riders seem to get caught in some nasty crapola, or we could just keep on keepin on beochchin, just an observation.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought everyone's sled insurance should pay for rescues. Use it too much and your insurance goes through the roof. Also should include helicopter recovery for your sled. Of course it has a price but could be optional adders.

Sure but these are all post incident - as much as it sucks I would vote for fines levied by club or SAR when deemed required - govt stays out of it.
This may deter others, starts as post incident but will make others think when they know fines are lurking out there.

WARNINGS POSTED AT TRAIL HEAD BOOTH AND AT CABINS IN HUGE BOLD SIGNS WITH FINE VAUES ALSO.
GO OUT UPREPAED AND HERE IS WHAT IT COSTS - IF DEEMED NECESSARY NOTHING UNDER $2500 EACH.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure but these are all post incident - as much as it sucks I would vote for fines levied by club or SAR when deemed required - govt stays out of it.
This may deter others, starts as post incident but will make others think when they know fines are lurking out there.

WARNINGS POSTED AT TRAIL HEAD BOOTH AND AT CABINS IN HUGE BOLD SIGNS WITH FINE VAUES ALSO.
GO OUT UPREPAED AND HERE IS WHAT IT COSTS - IF DEEMED NECESSARY OTHING UNDER $2500 EACH.

without a government/police presence it will not work, as i see an opportunity of way to much favoritism happening. You either have to charge everyone or no one! Just my opinion.

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need more rules, supervision, and government intervention. Fence off snow machining areas. Have a supervisor for each area that you check in with every 30 minutes. Obviously would need stricter licensing, permits, speed limits, jump height limits, etc.

Lets keep ourselves safe

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need more rules, supervision, and government intervention. Fence off snow machining areas. Have a supervisor for each area that you check in with every 30 minutes. Obviously would need stricter licensing, permits, speed limits, jump height limits, etc.

Lets keep ourselves safe

More fines too!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lets keep ourselves safe

The only thing you forgot is an age minimum and an age limit. ;)

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing you forgot is an age minimum and an age limit. ;)
In all honesty, some folks need to use their head on that. I see videos pop up on Facebook regularly of guys sticking their 6,7,8 year old kids on an 800. Just asking for trouble. It would be one thing if these kids had spent a ton of time on a smaller machine, but the videos I see are obviously not the case.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More government is never the answer..geez people we already have more then enough of that crap.. Last thing I want is that dumbass Trudeau now trying to stick his greasy fingers in our sport.

I would say insurance is a good thing. High insurance rates for anyone without training, lower rates for people with proper training and more experience.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lets keep ourselves safe

Don’t joke old Justin might make it happen especially if it can be taxed.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is we choose to do a dangerous sport. If your unable to ride according to conditions or choose to pack a 15 case instead of important survival gear. Mother nature will probably bite you in the ass when you least expect it.

I head to the mountains to get away from people, last thing I want is more people thinking they can go out because now there's fences and signs everywhere. If you need someone holding your hand this is not the sport for you. We need to be able to deal with breakdowns, broken bones and cold elements. I'm not saying that inreach and spots don't have there place, but these are last resorts options and need to be treated as such

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More government is never the answer..geez people we already have more then enough of that crap.. Last thing I want is that dumbass Trudeau now trying to stick his greasy fingers in our sport.

I would say insurance is a good thing. High insurance rates for anyone without training, lower rates for people with proper training and more experience.

totally agree
icon14.gif
no one needs more government involvement. I hate any government involvement, seat belts, helmets, beer you name it. Unfortunately I see it coming sooner than later. I could handle registration, insurance and licence proficiency, as it may eliminate a lot of problems, may help, may not? just my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom