3 more idiots

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah exactly, the back country (even boulder) is totally uncontrolled.
Answer me this. How do you stop people from riding where they shouldn't be going, getting lost ext?
Can't stop stupid but we should try and educate them.

There should be a voles notes version of every rescue mission posted to the SAR website and FB page.

Sometimes you can read about them in the Revelstoke mountaineer but they should be more readily available. iMO

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't stop stupid but we should try and educate them.

There should be a voles notes version of every rescue mission posted to the SAR website and FB page.

Sometimes you can read about them in the Revelstoke mountaineer but they should be more readily available. iMO

Might help, but there is a new idiot born every day.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get it you think there idiots we agree who pays for the idiots.

Maybe not all of them are,(but that is the title of the thread)what I'm saying is, it's bound to happen if you let people loose on the mountain.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah exactly, the back country (even boulder) is totally uncontrolled.
Answer me this. How do you stop people from riding where they shouldn't be going, getting lost ext?

Using Boulder as an example, i think that a large sign with the area map of Boulder at the ticket/trail pass booth and at the main cabin should be put up. On the map it should be highlighted in red zones of SAR's chargeable rescues and in green zone SAR's standard rescues.
With a note of explanation of what is incur's in a chargeable rescue.
This billboard map should be located at the beacon check and at the sign in. Personally i would locate all three together inside a covered shelter, as sledders check their beacon's they would hopefully sign in and check the SAR's map about their responsibilities, this shelter should be located next to the booth and not at the cabin. The cabin should have a reminder SAR's map of rider responsibility.
Unfortunately the Revy club is missing the boat by having a beacon check at trail head and a sign in book in a cabin. Rider's want to ride and if they are having to do too many steps they won't doit. The whole thing needs to be ONE step, ONE stop in ONE location.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using Boulder as an example, i think that a large sign with the area map of Boulder at the ticket/trail pass booth and at the main cabin should be put up. On the map it should be highlighted in red zones of SAR's chargeable rescues and in green zone SAR's standard rescues.
With a note of explanation of what is incur's in a chargeable rescue.
This billboard map should be located at the beacon check and at the sign in. Personally i would locate all three together inside a covered shelter, as sledders check their beacon's they would hopefully sign in and check the SAR's map about their responsibilities, this shelter should be located next to the booth and not at the cabin. The cabin should have a reminder SAR's map of rider responsibility.
Unfortunately the Revy club is missing the boat by having a beacon check at trail head and a sign in book in a cabin. Rider's want to ride and if they are having to do too many steps they won't doit. The whole thing needs to be ONE step, ONE stop in ONE location.

yep one step one stop. Step one take responsibility for your actions.One stop, at the bank to pay for your stupidity.

Too many people think that they are entitled to ride in the mountains. Riding in the mountains comes with a price. If you are not willing to pay the price stay the F!@# out.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am curious, everyone has their underwear in a knot. Who is actually paying? I get the volunteers are suffering and I fully support and appreciate their effort, but what is the cost? Is SAR getting paid? Is it tax dollars? If so, this is how the system works and I think we should consider laying off the "idiots". If you don't like the system, vote to change it. Unless, you are a repeat offender, I don't think people are actually using SARs as a fail safe rescue. But, I for one have no problem calling for help on tax payers dime if I run into trouble. I have never used it, but I, like many on here, pay well more than my share of the tax load, so I have no problem using a service that I pay into. If the system changes to user pay, then no problem, fire SARs and drop my tax load.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess like anything you have to try to educate people but until some get caught they do not realize how unprepared they are. There is still a big difference in my eyes of a true emergency ie: breaking bones, puncturing lungs, major bleeds compared to a bunch of guys that have lost there way or have dropped into a drainage or had a breakdown in my eyes. I’m kinda torn on a great solution though because if they don’t call it can turn into deaths. Putting some accountability onto people financially may create this.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Making people financially responsible for their SAR Costs is the only way things will improve, If one of us have a wreck, make a dumb drop at the end of the day or have a major breakdown, we work together to get out or worst case call a chopper and pay for it, a call to SAR has to be life or death. Due to the uncontrollable increase in mountain sledding popularity, The majority of people on the mountain these days seem to have no training, no experience and no give a **** about how hard SAR has to work to get their asses of the mountain. Hit these kids in the visa where it hurts.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Making people financially responsible for their SAR Costs is the only way things will improve, If one of us have a wreck, make a dumb drop at the end of the day or have a major breakdown, we work together to get out or worst case call a chopper and pay for it, a call to SAR has to be life or death. Due to the uncontrollable increase in mountain sledding popularity, The majority of people on the mountain these days seem to have no training, no experience and no give a **** about how hard SAR has to work to get their asses of the mountain. Hit these kids in the visa where it hurts.
I agree the situation needs to change, however making people pay may not be the best solution. If people know they have to pay, how many of them will not call SAR, and end up dieing up there?

I think the better solution would be better and/or mandatory education. Plus better maps at the major trail heads. How about maps that a guy can take with them showing boundaries, danger zones, avy paths, etc.. Maybe up to date avalanche reports at the trail heads and cabins.

Idiots are still going to ride and get it trouble, but perhaps getting the word out there about the risks involved and how to better prepare would help. I talk to people all the time that want to ride the mountains. None of them realize the risks involved, and the level of supplies, training, and experience needed to keep yourself alive in event of an emergency. Not to mention how much more difficult mountain riding is compared to the praries.

I went riding with a group this weekend at home. Had all my gear out of habit. Most of them had beer and meat. One guy hit a tree and tore his whole left suspension off. Could have been much worse, and not a single other person had so much as a first aid kit. Two people in the group ended up getting separated, and went 35km in the wrong direction. They had no idea where they were going. 12 sleds made a fresh track, but somehow they followed an untouched trail. Luckily they got cell service again, and were able to call for help.

There's a reason that I'm particular with the people I choose to ride with in the mountains.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better maps are useless to those that have zero idea of where they are in relation to the map.
People carry GPS's and have no idea how to use them.
The education would need to start with basic orienteering from junior high school.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
35 kms in wrong direction???
Whatever happened to looking over shoulder and stop when you don’t see the next person behind.
Everyone is suppose to do this in group .
Stopping and checking every so often to make sure everyone is checked for ?
Some of these comments make me shake my head .
Like was said ? I am the same and won’t travel with big groups and I want my wing man that thinks the same as myself .
Old school I guess and never had such things as SARS to call .

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
35 kms in wrong direction???
Whatever happened to looking over shoulder and stop when you don’t see the next person behind.
Everyone is suppose to do this in group .
Stopping and checking every so often to make sure everyone is checked for ?
Some of these comments make me shake my head .
Like was said ? I am the same and won’t travel with big groups and I want my wing man that thinks the same as myself .
Old school I guess and never had such things as SARS I call .
It was a narrow single track trail. The two that wandered off went backwards up the trail when we all came off a slough. As we were dealing with the guy that hit the tree (five minutes later) I discovered that the two were missing. They were reached via text, as cell service was sketchy, and they were making a fire and roasting wieners. They were confident they knew where they were going, so we left them be to head ~2km back up the trail and then across the lake. Long story short, they did not know where they were going, nor were they able to follow a clearly tracked trail. They continued on 35km east before they ended up in another town. We were back home before hearing from them again. Made me sick to my stomach.

Never again will I go out with a group like that. As much as I love to ride, I'll stick to people that are prepared, even if it means less time out there riding. Same goes for summer riding. Went with a group in the spring and it was a giant **** show. All money and no brains...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Let’s be fair.
There are many kinds of SAR’s lost calls.
The ones were dealing with are either experienced and made a mistake or inexperienced and were making a mistake right from the beginning.

Either way, if you ever end up in a situation where your lost and you are going to spend the night I’m dam sure your going to contact SAR for help, even if you are prepared to stay, because not everyone in your group will be able to handle this.

In fairness, there are some who could easily survive but many who might not. But it’s not only about the staying it’s about letting family know. It’s also about letting SAR’s know so they don’t have to launch a rescue.

So don’t ride very far off trail unless you are completely knowledgeable about the area your in.

Oh hang, everyone has riden an area they didn’t know without a guide.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the situation needs to change, however making people pay may not be the best solution. If people know they have to pay, how many of them will not call SAR, and end up dieing up there?

I think the better solution would be better and/or mandatory education. Plus better maps at the major trail heads. How about maps that a guy can take with them showing boundaries, danger zones, avy paths, etc.. Maybe up to date avalanche reports at the trail heads and cabins.

Idiots are still going to ride and get it trouble, but perhaps getting the word out there about the risks involved and how to better prepare would help. I talk to people all the time that want to ride the mountains. None of them realize the risks involved, and the level of supplies, training, and experience needed to keep yourself alive in event of an emergency. Not to mention how much more difficult mountain riding is compared to the praries.

I went riding with a group this weekend at home. Had all my gear out of habit. Most of them had beer and meat. One guy hit a tree and tore his whole left suspension off. Could have been much worse, and not a single other person had so much as a first aid kit. Two people in the group ended up getting separated, and went 35km in the wrong direction. They had no idea where they were going. 12 sleds made a fresh track, but somehow they followed an untouched trail. Luckily they got cell service again, and were able to call for help.

There's a reason that I'm particular with the people I choose to ride with in the mountains.

I’m thinking if you don’t call and you die from it tells me two things. You knew you were an idiot. And second if you then die from it then it’s gods natural selection.
if we hold people’s hands and post maps and routes they take that info like most idiots as we don’t need this, clearly someone will be there. It’s a danger world and most people don’t take the time to prepare them self’s properly. It’s your life and take responsibility for it!
education is one way but if government gets ahold of this we can add mandatory snowmobiling courses to the list and that will end it right there for me.
we see it on the lakes with boating. I sure hope people will take the time to learn as take responsibility....please! Hate to loose our back country freedom to silly people.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I’m thinking if you don’t call and you die from it tells me two things. You knew you were an idiot. And second if you then die from it then it’s gods natural selection.
if we hold people’s hands and post maps and routes they take that info like most idiots as we don’t need this, clearly someone will be there. It’s a danger world and most people don’t take the time to prepare them self’s properly. It’s your life and take responsibility for it!
education is one way but if government gets ahold of this we can add mandatory snowmobiling courses to the list and that will end it right there for me.
we see it on the lakes with boating. I sure hope people will take the time to learn as take responsibility....please! Hate to loose our back country freedom to silly people.

Then why do we have S&R.
Accidents won’t happen if you play safe.
Avy’s won’t happen if you play safe.
Every incident in the backcountry is avoidable so really we don’t need any assistance.

Not trying to be pizzy or start a fight but the logic of insurance company’s these days is all accidents can and should not happen, they are avoidable.

Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom