2010 / 2011 Valemount Updates

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What happened was my group was eatin some lunch a little ways away, and we were watching these guys climb the hill. We were thinking of how foolish they were because the hill was covered in rocks. We would of never thought it would slide. So then we decided to leave and head into goats ridge, then i nailed a rock coming down a hill, threw me over the bars a good distance. Mangled the a-arm. Then limped my sled back to the cabin and ran into the guys in the avalanche. They said the slide took place 5 minutes or something after we left. Soo then took the back of the axe and managed to bend my a-arm back so it was rideable, then rode up to morning glory to help find the buried sled. Probed for quite a while and couldn't find it.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez that sends shivers down my spine. Good on the guy's for finding him and digging him out. Hope he bought all his buddies a cold beer that night. :beer: How long was he under?

They said he was under for 5 minutes or so, and was unconscious when they dug him out.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just received a phone call about this

Man that hill looks skinny, cant believe people were climbing on it:confused: usually you cannot see those car sized rocks at the bottom right.

Good on the group for being prepared and being able to get their buddy out, he owes you his life, good for you. i hope you can find the sled as I heard that did not go so well.

That being said, my crew found 13 people at Allan Creek today with no beacons and heard 13 different excuses:nono:. Lucky this was not one of them above or the story would be much different, ca mon guys! This was the worst day since we began checkin at the trailheads when we are able......

I see a business opportunity here. Alpine could send out a box of fully charged beacons with each of the peeps manning the booths. Those that were without beacons would have the opportunity to rent one at a premium over the price at the shop. VARDA keeps the premium for their troubles.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found out that one guy in our party didn't have his beacon when we were already on the hill! Chewed him a new a$$. Told him thanks for not being able to find one or all of us if something was to happen. His excuse was he forgot it at the room. Man that pisses me off. Some guys just don't get it!

here is what Rod and I do if you are riding with us and you can do the same. before you leave the parking lot we check with a search beacon to make sure your beacon is on and working, if you left it behind you don't ride with us PERIOD. we also have an extra for rent in our truck sometimes if that person would like.
some have said that is a bit harsh, but it could be your life he has to help save.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is what Rod and I do if you are riding with us and you can do the same. before you leave the parking lot we check with a search beacon to make sure your beacon is on and working, if you left it behind you don't ride with us PERIOD. we also have an extra for rent in our truck sometimes if that person would like.
some have said that is a bit harsh, but it could be your life he has to help save.

We usually have a spare in the truck, and let the people that are riding with us, if they forget theirs (which happens, we're only human) and we lend it to them for free. That's what friends are for.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see a business opportunity here. Alpine could send out a box of fully charged beacons with each of the peeps manning the booths. Those that were without beacons would have the opportunity to rent one at a premium over the price at the shop. VARDA keeps the premium for their troubles.
That seems like too much trouble to babysit adults. Then you have to wait around for them, plus the rental forms, then you have to get his VISA, which he probably does not have on him.
If they knowingly head up to the hill without a transceiver they sure as hell wont rent one.... and you can't force them.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually have a spare in the truck, and let the people that are riding with us, if they forget theirs (which happens, we're only human) and we lend it to them for free. That's what friends are for.

all of our friends always have their beacons, these have been peep's that have wanted to join our riding group.

yammy1320

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always have a spare beacon in my trailer.

And I happened to have loaned it out yesterday. At Clemina,

.....you never know when good judgement and sharing just might save a life. And that's priceless.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just back home from a couple of days of riding. Rode Chappell friday and yes the pow was great. Met up with Curtis and Tyler from Varda and they took us on a nice little tour of Chappell. It was great meeting you guys and thanks for showing us the in and outs of Chappell as well. Rode Clemina sat and wow don't remember seeing that low of snow before.

oly

Reaction score
Sweet Vid Max! I wish I was there. I love poking through those trees!:d:beer:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome vid, looks like a blast. Cant wait to get back up there, January 19!!!!already counting the days down:d

tapex

Reaction score
She was a Blue Bird weekend! Rode Chappell on Sat. Definately needs more snow...pounded would be the best term for it, really had to look for some fresh! Went elsewhere on Sunday and found some pretty good snow but snow levels are way low with creeks still uncovered. Definately needs more snow, the forecast looks good over the next couple weeks.....keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully Curtis can order some snow for us! Got a couple good pics, will post later.:beer:

tapex

Reaction score
Got a few for ya!

2011-2002.jpg

2011-2020.jpg

2011-2051.jpg

2011-2014.jpg

2011-2031.jpg

2011-2009.jpg

2011-2141.jpg

2011-2133.jpg

2011-2130.jpg