2008 800 Dragon Problems

Bruce

Reaction score
Just took my sled in for the 5th engine. $1800 out of my pocket because polaris can't fix the problem. They just keep replacing the top end and it will be good for a few rides then back to the shop. Thats how my last 3 seasons have been. Anyone know what i can do to keep my sled running because polaris has given up on it and aren't willing to do anything about it.

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was the same problem every time you would think the dealership would have to warranty there own work. After 5 motors it's very apperent it is not user error, more of a faulty product. Guys go aroud the stock mapping and put Power Commander5 on there to control the fuel. From what I hear the mid range is very lean and guys are blowing them while crusing at a constant speed, half trottle. You are not the only one, search the threads hear on this site and you will see, lots of good info . It would suck to by a sled and have it in the shop all the time. Hows the snow in Tumbler?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just took my sled in for the 5th engine. $1800 out of my pocket because polaris can't fix the problem. They just keep replacing the top end and it will be good for a few rides then back to the shop. Thats how my last 3 seasons have been. Anyone know what i can do to keep my sled running because polaris has given up on it and aren't willing to do anything about it.

trade it in????

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took my sled in for the 5th engine. $1800 out of my pocket because polaris can't fix the problem. They just keep replacing the top end and it will be good for a few rides then back to the shop. Thats how my last 3 seasons have been. Anyone know what i can do to keep my sled running because polaris has given up on it and aren't willing to do anything about it.

Keep hearing about these problems with Polaris, it sucks. Mine has been good but I did do some things to it when it was new. The wiring harness goes through a sharp edged hole as it enters the hood, I put wire wrap around it to prevent rubbing. The air box was not sealed to the hood and headlight, so snow got in there, I sealed it up with weather strip and silicone. The head light adjuster is also another entrance for snow to get in, covered it with duct tape. I believe the best thing I did though was to install a Power Commander. The adjusted map added up to 25% more fuel to the midrange, good luck, hope it works out for you.

Trench:d

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why can't polaris make the midrange richer? why do you have to buy a fuel box to control their screw up! polaris needs to step up to the plate.....I think they are doing a test.....to see how bad they can screw with their customers and see how long they jump ship to some other company!

Last edited:

polarsledhead

Reaction score
some times its the snow getting around the head light by getting in the carbs though the airbox i put sicon around my headlight to prevent snow in my airbox and then in to the carbs
just my 2 cents

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the lucky, third season with an 09 800 Dragon and had no issues, did the engine recall last season, told them not to do the latest flash update, had no issues with the sled at all, riding hard or in the mid range, love it !

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is not ment to rid in snow and this cold weather, maybe our riding it to far north. LOL Good luck and let us know when you find problem. Buy a dooooooooo.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why can polaris make the midrange richer? why do you have to buy a fuel box to control their screw up! polaris needs to step up to the plate.....I think they are doing a test.....to see how bad they can screw with their customers and see how long they jump ship to some other company!

They have to pass emmisions testing, so they are super lean from the factory. Your probably right about the test thing, sounds like a good business plan.
Trench

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have to pass emmisions testing, so they are super lean from the factory. Your probably right about the test thing, sounds like a good business plan.
Trench

but after 20 different reflashes you would think they could make it rich! they just want to sell parts.....I cant remember hearing a guy who owns a yamaha say.....I have put in 5 engines in 3 years! lol but I have said... I wish they could make them lighter LOL!

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why can't polaris make the midrange richer? why do you have to buy a fuel box to control their screw up! polaris needs to step up to the plate.....I think they are doing a test.....to see how bad they can screw with their customers and see how long they jump ship to some other company!

I did just that and am now on an M1000, after 20 some odd years of flying the polaris flag it was time for a change:d

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did just that and am now on an M1000, after 20 some odd years of flying the polaris flag it was time for a change:d

Have to agree, after the 900 disaster and all the problems with the 08/10 800 they should be thankful they are still selling sleds at all. My 08 has been good, but I can't sell it cause no one wants them.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree, after the 900 disaster and all the problems with the 08/10 800 they should be thankful they are still selling sleds at all. My 08 has been good, but I can't sell it cause no one wants them.

The worst thing is, even if you go talk to a Polaris dealer about trading it in on a new Pro RMK you will get the; "Tough market to sell your Dragon in with all the engine problems they've had." Then likely be offered a bit more than 1/2 what you figure the sled is worth. I've been through it.:( I had a RT 1000 and heard the speach when I tried to trade it in on an X-RS a few years ago.:rolleyes: Hopefully you can figure something out. :beer:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some interesting reading over on Snowest about the 800's,to bad the aftermarket guys have to come along and try to clean up Polaris's mess!!!:mad:

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah sad when they can,t make it work. My buddy has a 2010 Dragon 800. DIEHARD Polaris guy. His seems to work good now. Was slower than my 600 till the dealership fixed it. I,ve always been a Cat man now most of the guys i ride with ride Cats too. My Polaris bud said last time we rode " I wish i had bought an M8" Kinda like me saying i wish i had bought a Ford 8^) :rolleyes:
Sad they all seem to have some issues the manufacturers won,t make good. He has a PV 5 on his. Says it still feels soft top end but better than with out it.

Bruce

Reaction score
If it was the same problem every time you would think the dealership would have to warranty there own work. After 5 motors it's very apperent it is not user error, more of a faulty product. Guys go aroud the stock mapping and put Power Commander5 on there to control the fuel. From what I hear the mid range is very lean and guys are blowing them while crusing at a constant speed, half trottle. You are not the only one, search the threads hear on this site and you will see, lots of good info . It would suck to by a sled and have it in the shop all the time. Hows the snow in Tumbler?

Thanks for the info. I think i'm going to try the power commander after i rebuild the motor. Got to try something since polaris isn't. All they do is replace the top end and think it's good. The snow is good, just got another 1ft + today. There is probably lots of fresh pow in the mountains.

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear of your problems...it is never fun when your sled is down but in the end all toys no matter the make break at some point weather or not is was from age, abuse, neglect or crap from the factory. if you love your ride find a great mechanic or dealer that you trust and get her fixed so you can get back out to ridding. there are many peeps on here that have super helpful with me and my 08 800 dragon and all the things that need to get worked on to prevent future problems lol.
so best of luck getting back up and running!::eek:

Top Bottom