2002 Polaris 500 HO Heating Up

wellluck

Reaction score
Out quadding over the weekend and had to stop every 20 mins. to let my machine cool down (temp light would come on). Anyone have any suggestions why this might be happening? Rad looks clean. Coolant level is up. Do these machines have a thermostat, that could be sticking?
Thanks,

Al

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out quadding over the weekend and had to stop every 20 mins. to let my machine cool down (temp light would come on). Anyone have any suggestions why this might be happening? Rad looks clean. Coolant level is up. Do these machines have a thermostat, that could be sticking?
Thanks,

Al

Fan Running?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sportsman or Scrambler? Was the coolant up in the rad or the recovery bottle?

Sportsmans will plug up with snow at the front grill so that there is no air flow reguardless if the fan is running or not. With the hot light coming on, this is the most likely problem

Quite common for 1/4" hose between the rad cap and the recovery bottle to crack, melt, or wear through. When this happens the recovery bottle will indicate the proper level, while in fact the rad is low; the hot light may or may not come on when this happens.

The only weak point on the 500 engine is the head gasket. When the head gasket blows combustion gases enter the cooling system and will eventually melt the hose to the recovery bottle.

Thermostat is rarely the problem, but it is located on the left side of the cylinder just behind the belt housing intake snockel.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

Al

i know many times on my 500 sportsman i thought my rad was clean but down the trail a bit, it over heats. i try to spend lots of time and care with my rad to make sure i can see through it

wellluck

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Found out I just need to take more care cleaning out the rad. Air works well.

Al

bsan1827

Reaction score
Yeah the rads in the Polaris are terrible to get at, my winch is mounted low so it actually blocks off part of the grill

wellluck

Reaction score
Yeah, that's part of the problem with this machine as well, as the winch is mounded right in front of the rad. Makes it hard to clean out the rad, as well over 1/2 the air flow is blocked. Has been a great machine otherwise.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well what do you expect its a polaris you buy junk you get junk
honda all the way

"this should stir the pot a bit"

wellluck

Reaction score
Ouch! That hurts. You need to listen to the advice Thumper received from his father. "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.":nono:

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im sorry
maybe i should listen to that father wabbit
but then again id rather go talk to my grandfatther...his names Elmer

colgprk

Reaction score
take the winch off the front mount on the rear hitch it open up way more air flow and always make sure you wash out the rad real well before going out . i always though mine was clean till i ran a hose over it and saw all the crap that came out even after long time cleaning , other thing is to make sure rad full , dont rely on fluid in overflow check tha rad it may be low even with heat issues Polaris rules

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its anything like my sisters.. she droped it off and i took the front bumper and the rack out.. i disconnected the 2 wires that run on it. and then disconnected the 2 rad hoses and pulled it out of the bike. that rad was so damn plugged it wasn't even funny you couldn't tell from the front or the sides but it took me 30min with a pressure washer to get it clean

this was a 400 2002 sportsman. probably the same.

take it out and clean it and you will be good for another long while

menmysportsmn

Reaction score
Thanks,

Al

i guess if you cleaned your rad and it is cool now your fine but i have an 800 and had this prob sept wors mud had got into my pump and killed it it got in through the weep hole they said. check it and see if there is fluid coming out of your weep hole if there is chances are it might have gone bad on you or some one told me it could be getting in through your overflow cap cause there is a little hole if its an 07 but if it runs cool now no worrys

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no its most likely the rad is plugged .. its a 2002.. and the fan cage covers the entire rad and the grill is highly enclosed.. also most likely if he has the bush bumper with the winch on it then its really hard to clean.

take off the 2 bottom bolts and the 2 side bolts(on each side) to get the grill off.. then you will be able to see the entire rad .. watch the cables unplug them before you undo the bolts..

i'm betting you will be quite surprised how badly plugged that rad is.

we thought my sisters was clean as well.. because I washed it for like 20min on the grill .. when we took it out... there was no more than a inch of area the air could pass though the rad completely.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
You guys are all dead on with your posts! The rads on those are mounted way too low and if you like mud it will be an on going problem. I would consider moving the rad to a new location. You may have to build a new front grill etc. but its worth it.
Other than that and I agree with Mallard get a new quad and stay away from Polaris!! :( Sorry but you are experiencing the most common problem known to Polaris. Look at other quads and how the rad is placed. Yamahas are probably one of the best! Btw, I drive a Cat and the wife has the Yami. Next one will be a Yami! :beer::d:beer:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true that its a low rad.. but i don't think its nearly a large enough deal that requires replacing the atv.

its 6 bolts and you can see the entire rad .. wash it out really well after every say 10th ride and then just make sure to spray it after every ride to keep it somewhat clean between the larger cleanings.

it took us 5 min to take the grill off and wash it out the last time i did it on my sisters.. 5 min to clean it and 5 min to bolt it back on..

so for 15 min of your time its cleaned completely every 10th or so ride.. it takes along time to completely plug a rad as well unless you push to the headlights though peanut butter mud and then you should clean the rad of any atv you own at that point..

hostileintent

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Found out I just need to take more care cleaning out the rad. Air works well.

Al

i had the same problem with my 04 take the rad out and clean it again it takes about an hour to do!!!
also i modded mine and its never happened again, take the plastic cover off under the headlight cut a line 6" long right to left use a heat gun to lift it up and mount two pc fans to the underside, they never clog and blow excess heat up and out... total time 1.5 hr total cost 20.00, two fans and a toggle switch.

Top Bottom