King Cat Piston's

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which piston's to go with. Gonna change them out on the 900 since i have the motor apart. Should i go with stock again or something different. And what are the pro's and con's between stock and aftermarket. I had good luck with the stock ones, i am around 2500 km right now.

Thanks
Scot

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would likely just replace the stock ones,price them out against Wiseco and if wiseco are about the same go with them,they are supposed to be a better piston!
catmando!

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to the boys a t cutler this week and for pistons with rings and wrist pin for the mad max engine i had here they are 150.00 bucks and they are a wiseco piston

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stick with stock! don't waste your time with wisecos.:nono:

why?

i have over 5000k on mine..if you know how to take care of them they will last.

because they are made from aluminum? they expand much faster than stock ones and need a longer warm up period..if you do that they are fine..

ive been beating them hard with nitrous and pipe and hard riding and they never give up

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had grea luck with both stock and SPI pistons on my Cats.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why?
because they are made from aluminum?

All pistons are made from aluminum.

stick with stock! don't waste your time with wisecos.:nono:

X2 - am going to try the SPI's this year though, have seen some good things from them and they have close to OEM specs.

Its about cast vs forged typically.

Wiseco pistons are forged. If you want to run Seizco's, make sure you get the proper clearance specs, otherwise you will squeek them. Usually there is a clearance spec on the box, you need to get this, otherwise they have dis-proportional expansion and they can distort and seize, which is why they require a long warm up time (not because they expand faster than stockers), since the piston needs to heat uniformly to expand evenly (cold seize).

Typically stock pistons are cast pistons which allow intricate designs in the moldings and results in a very dimensionally stable piston. They are stronger as well, but you do have to change them out, they are a little more brittle than a forged piston IMO.

Forged pistons are easy to manufacture. Wiseco's will not fit as tight as OEM since they do not machine to the same tolerances, another reason why they need more warm up.

Maxwell, I am glad to hear that you have had good luck with them. I'm curious about them being lighter though, did you weigh them against the stock ones? If so, can you tell me what the weight difference was?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All pistons are made from aluminum.

X2 - am going to try the SPI's this year though, have seen some good things from them and they have close to OEM specs.

Its about cast vs forged typically.

Wiseco pistons are forged. If you want to run Seizco's, make sure you get the proper clearance specs, otherwise you will squeek them. Usually there is a clearance spec on the box, you need to get this, otherwise they have dis-proportional expansion and they can distort and seize, which is why they require a long warm up time (not because they expand faster than stockers), since the piston needs to heat uniformly to expand evenly (cold seize).

Typically stock pistons are cast pistons which allow intricate designs in the moldings and results in a very dimensionally stable piston. They are stronger as well, but you do have to change them out, they are a little more brittle than a forged piston IMO.

Forged pistons are easy to manufacture. Wiseco's will not fit as tight as OEM since they do not machine to the same tolerances, another reason why they need more warm up.

Maxwell, I am glad to hear that you have had good luck with them. I'm curious about them being lighter though, did you weigh them against the stock ones? If so, can you tell me what the weight difference was?

i dont know that forsure. its what the shop told me. but when i had my wisecos fit to my cylinders my sled was running 155psi? does that not mean they were fitting pretty tight? when i tore it down there was zero blowby

Top Bottom