Alberta speeding tickets on a BC license

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the judge tells you how much it's gonna cost you, thats why it's a court appearance instead of a violation ticket. got one of those "back in the day" and it was NOT cheap. about a $1000 fine, lost the licence for 2 or 3 months & had to do a defensive driving coarse.
was it a dangerous driving charge? 50 over and that is what you're charged with if the cop won't cut you some slack. carries the same penalties as an impaired driving charge, my buddy lost his license for a year on a DD charge back in the day. snapped a donut with his corvette in a residential cul de sac, one of the residents got the plate and told the cop there were children endangered.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should mention a friend of mine got a ticket for 155 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone...... so pink. He hired a lawyer from Points I believe...... or one of those traffic ticket outfits. He ended up never going to court, got zero demerits and payed a $350 fine. I have no idea what the lawyer cost. I would imagine any law office with traffic experience could net the same results.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should mention a friend of mine got a ticket for 155 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone...... so pink. He hired a lawyer from Points I believe...... or one of those traffic ticket outfits. He ended up never going to court, got zero demerits and payed a $350 fine. I have no idea what the lawyer cost. I would imagine any law office with traffic experience could net the same results.

There is at least one guy in Calgary who can get you off any DUI. For the low price of 10,000

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kid is 22 and was driving my truck down a fairly steep decent with the TT on and riding the exhaust break doing approx 80kmh.

Something is not adding up...What was the speed limit ? Tell us what really happened :rolleyes::beer: LoL

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I was respectful intill they started telling me how my car was stollen or I was doing drugs or I was drunk, funny thing is everytime I got pulled over for rediculous things and they gave me grief and I told them how I felt about the reason I was pulled over and how you don't need to accuse me of something that is not true, they came back with my licence and insurance handed it to me then left not once have I received a ticket for one of the rediculous things I got pulled over for so yes be respectful to cops but I do not back down when they are disrespectful to me, a person is a person it doesn't matter if your a homeless man/women or the CEO of apple everyone deserves respect intill you have reason not to respect them.
You don't just "get" respect. You have to earn it. And mouthy punks have a loooong uphill battle, let me tell ya. Been there, done that.

As an "old bastard" my way of dealing with the boys in blue is to make 'em laugh. They have a shitty job and pulling you over for rolling a stop sign or speeding is just a boring part of their job....give 'em some laughter. I haven't had a ticket in so long I forget what they look like. Got stopped in town for rolling a stop a couple of months ago...ya, I deserve it...he getting my paperwork from me, asks if I know why I'm being stopped...."sure!" I say, "California stop".
He says, "you know that's actually not a stop and is against the law? And...what is THAT for?" Pointing to my radar detector.
I look at him all serious and whisper, "shhhh...it's for detecting rader!"
He frickin' HOWLED...tossed me my papers back and told me to beat it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't just "get" respect. You have to earn it. And mouthy punks have a loooong uphill battle, let me tell ya. Been there, done that.

As an "old bastard" my way of dealing with the boys in blue is to make 'em laugh. They have a shitty job and pulling you over for rolling a stop sign or speeding is just a boring part of their job....give 'em some laughter. I haven't had a ticket in so long I forget what they look like. Got stopped in town for rolling a stop a couple of months ago...ya, I deserve it...he getting my paperwork from me, asks if I know why I'm being stopped...."sure!" I say, "California stop".
He says, "you know that's actually not a stop and is against the law? And...what is THAT for?" Pointing to my radar detector.
I look at him all serious and whisper, "shhhh...it's for detecting rader!"
He frickin' HOWLED...tossed me my papers back and told me to beat it.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa. Only u Dave.

Thanks for the laugh. Man that's funny

sent from my htc

morerpmfred

Reaction score
It is all those asshat from newfieland, ontario, querrbec, sasky,mantobe and bc who work on the rigs as pigs for a couple years and rack up thousands of dollers in fines on their out of province license plates. Usually mom or dads and NOT PAY. So now it is a court appearance for out of province. If you pay the ticket now then no appearance.
My nephew just did the twenty hour drive nonstop from T bay nonstop, gets a mile into Alberta and $130 speeding ticket and a court appearance. He stops in Medicine hat an hour later pays it and no apperance. He was proud of his rite to passage as this was his first ticket and first road trip.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be like the states, ya pay on the spot or ya do your tour of the crow bar hotel. sounds like the young lad, gave a tude to the cop and he tuded back, takes time to learn to just be quiet, and accept the fine, could always get worse in a hurry, and ya don't want the phone book treatment.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be like the states, ya pay on the spot or ya do your tour of the crow bar hotel. sounds like the young lad, gave a tude to the cop and he tuded back, takes time to learn to just be quiet, and accept the fine, could always get worse in a hurry, and ya don't want the phone book treatment.

I don't think we need to be putting kids who have been speeding into jail for an evening. Costs too much money. Charge em for their infraction and if they don't show up for court (should it be required), toss em in.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u may be right, but i'm thinking it would get there attention in a hurry.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i am not mistaken the auto court appereance is if you are 50 and over, BUT can send you to court if you are 1.5 times over the speed limit. IE if posed 60 and you are doing 90 and you can get hauled in. Thats what my RC buddy told me anyway.

If you are wondering if you have to appear in court, why not just phone them and ask. would seem like the simple thing to do. Dont they leave there number on the ticket for you to call directly?

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
but then we'd have nothing to yammer on about......

If i am not mistaken the auto court appereance is if you are 50 and over, BUT can send you to court if you are 1.5 times over the speed limit. IE if posed 60 and you are doing 90 and you can get hauled in. Thats what my RC buddy told me anyway.

If you are wondering if you have to appear in court, why not just phone them and ask. would seem like the simple thing to do. Dont they leave there number on the ticket for you to call directly?

Just thinking outloud, but if you pay the ticket you are pleading guilty, doesnt that usually mean you do not have to attend court? seems rediculous if the ticket is only a 2 or 3 point one.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was it a dangerous driving charge? 50 over and that is what you're charged with if the cop won't cut you some slack. carries the same penalties as an impaired driving charge, my buddy lost his license for a year on a DD charge back in the day. snapped a donut with his corvette in a residential cul de sac, one of the residents got the plate and told the cop there were children endangered.

i find this interesting... because to lose a license over this it would have to be a citizan citation. IE the lady would have to appear in court and give her statement as well be able to positively ID the person driving the vet. Or did your budy just admit guilt?

the vette may be registered and insured under "Z"d persons name but this may not be the person driving it. Usually cops just make a very disturbing call to the owner.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i find this interesting... because to lose a license over this it would have to be a citizan citation. IE the lady would have to appear in court and give her statement as well be able to positively ID the person driving the vet. Or did your budy just admit guilt?

the vette may be registered and insured under "Z"d persons name but this may not be the person driving it. Usually cops just make a very disturbing call to the owner.
I got charged with DD about 17 yrs ago for test driving my race car around the block...just took a written complain from a neighbor (who was the mayor of Penhold at the time) and I was hauled in, printed and charged. Had to get a lawyer (or look like an idiot in court) who of course got it reduced to Careless driving and a fine...which was probably still too steep a punishment for the actual event....but DD is a criminal offence and a serious deal...couldn't just let that stick for going around the block in a car that wouldn't run at the time....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

oh yeah, it was a whole big deal. wasn't his car. woman knew my buddy, told the cops exactly who was driving, went to court and testified that kids were almost ran over even though it wasn't true. convicted and given maximum fine and sentence. we were like 19 years old, they made an example of him....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got charged with DD about 17 yrs ago for test driving my race car around the block...just took a written complain from a neighbor (who was the mayor of Penhold at the time) and I was hauled in, printed and charged. Had to get a lawyer (or look like an idiot in court) who of course got it reduced to Careless driving and a fine...which was probably still too steep a punishment for the actual event....but DD is a criminal offence and a serious deal...couldn't just let that stick for going around the block in a car that wouldn't run at the time....

whats the guys name??? Rick??

still find it interesting... did you admit it was you dave??

FYI, even race cars can be "street legal" if you know the right ppl:beer:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the guys name??? Rick??

still find it interesting... did you admit it was you dave??

FYI, even race cars can be "street legal" if you know the right ppl:beer:
\

Everything's legal, so long as you don't get caught.

Neil Young taught me that.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from experinece if you get a ticket hire a points guy to fight it worth every penny because the cost of the lawyer and the little fine you end up paying is way less then what your insurance will be the next time they pull your abstract... do not try to fight in court by yourself for larger tickets usally the pink ones because you will not get the fine reduced enough to justfy even going to court ... lawyers are buddy buddy with the judges so they tell the judge what they are reducing the ticket to and the judge says ok. example if you have a ticket for doing 40 over which is 4 points and you try to fight it yourself the prosecutor will say ok i will drop it to 25 over and only 3 points... if you have a lawyer do it for you they will say charge him for failling to obey a road sign and pay the same amount but no points. when it comes down to it pay whatever it takes because it is always cheaper than paying 5000++ for insurance a year

and on the point about being mouthy with the cops... dude im 25 and have had my share of tickets and being disrespectful gets you no where trust me i kno !!! just shut your mouth. play dumb and take the ticket because when it comes down to it the can do whatever the heck they want and there is nothing you can do about it

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from experinece if you get a ticket hire a points guy to fight it worth every penny because the cost of the lawyer and the little fine you end up paying is way less then what your insurance will be the next time they pull your abstract... do not try to fight in court by yourself for larger tickets usally the pink ones because you will not get the fine reduced enough to justfy even going to court ... lawyers are buddy buddy with the judges so they tell the judge what they are reducing the ticket to and the judge says ok. example if you have a ticket for doing 40 over which is 4 points and you try to fight it yourself the prosecutor will say ok i will drop it to 25 over and only 3 points... if you have a lawyer do it for you they will say charge him for failling to obey a road sign and pay the same amount but no points. when it comes down to it pay whatever it takes because it is always cheaper than paying 5000++ for insurance a year

and on the point about being mouthy with the cops... dude im 25 and have had my share of tickets and being disrespectful gets you no where trust me i kno !!! just shut your mouth. play dumb and take the ticket because when it comes down to it the can do whatever the heck they want and there is nothing you can do about it

truer words have never been spoken. they can just keep writing tickets until a few stick, they are no different than you or i, give the cop a hard time, he'll just return the favour 10 times.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is no speed limit in the back country and u can only hurt yerself :)

Wrong! Oh, wait, I forgot.....you only ride in your back yard!

From the BC Forest Service Road use regulation:

Speed restriction

4 A person must operate a motor vehicle on a forest service road at a speed that
(a) is safe for the conditions, and
(b) does not exceed the lesser of
(i) 80 km/h, and
(ii) the speed posted on a relevant traffic control device.

Top Bottom