BC Mandatory Registration begins next week....FYI

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
ORV Registration will be available November 17, 2014

Link to the ORV News release re voluntary registration et al:

The main ORV Management Framework webpage has been updated to include the new dates for voluntary and mandatory registration:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/mof/orv/

(note: The weblink to the news release regarding the Off Road Vehicle Act achieving Royal Assent on March 24, 2014: )

The attached Bulletin 11 that has now gone out to Law Enforcement and Safety.

The attached ORV Sales Tax Bulletin is also public:

If there are any questions from members or the public about sales tax, please direct them to Ministry of Finance’s toll free number at 1 877 388-4440 or they can email questions to CTBTaxQuestions@gov.bc.ca Information is also available on this MFin website: gov.bc.ca/pst

Stakeholder associations can contact Joel Fairbairn directly at Consumer Taxation Programs Branch, at 250 387-1118 or by email at Joel.Fairbairn@gov.bc.ca.

The voluntary registration period starts on November 17, 2014 and mandatory registration will start on June 1, 2015.

The benefits of registering under the Off Road Vehicle Act now rather than wait for the mandatory date of June 1, 2015 include:

• ORV riders that choose to register now can beat the rush.
  • If your ORV is stolen, the vehicle will be registered and can more easily be tracked back to you as the registered owner.
  • It provides an opportunity to get the word out about the upcoming mandatory registration.
  • The ORV number plate is a dual purpose plate -- if you register and a get the number plate under the ORV Act, it may also be used for highways crossings if the ORV is also licensed and insured under the Motor Vehicle Act.
In terms of costs…

Registration under Off Road Vehicle Act:

• BCs one-time, user-pay ORV registration fee is $48; this is less than an Alberta, where ORV riders pay $54 annually.
  • In terms of transition, snowmobiles registered under the MVATA will have one year to re-register under the ORV Act and receive a $10 refund that is applied towards the registration fee. MVATA-registered snowmobiles will have 1 year to receive this refund when they re-register with a broker.
Access to highways under the Motor Vehicle Act:

• No additional fees for registration or the plate are required under the Motor Vehicle Act if you have paid the one-time $48 fee to obtain both your Certificate of Registration and number plate under the Off Road Vehicle Act. The ORV number plate is a dual purpose plate.
  • There is no cost for the police-issued operation permit.
  • Annual fees apply to vehicle licensing and insurance for the majority of motor vehicles used on a highway in BC. In the case of ORVs used for recreation purposes to access a highway, annual vehicle licensing is $23 and ICBCs basic insurance coverage is $25.
Here’s the link where you can find an Autoplan broker: http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/locations/Pages/Default.aspx

In order to register, a person must demonstrate they are the legitimate owner of the vehicle. One of the following is required:

• A New Vehicle Information Statement or a Certificate of Origin if purchased new, but never registered previously;
  • A Bill of Sale

• A Transfer Tax Form (APV9T) signed by seller – Transfer Tax forms are widely available from any Autoplan broker;
  • a completed B. C. Consumer Taxation Branch Gift of Vehicle Form (FIN 319);
  • For ORVs imported from the U.S., a Title Certificate; Form 1 or B15 Accounting Document;

• For ORV’s imported into B.C. from another Canadian jurisdiction, the previous registration documents; OR
In the absence of the above, a sworn statutory declaration (MV1484) will be required with information about how the person came into possession of the off road vehicle and attempts to get the one or more of the other documentation as described above.

As described in the ORV Sale Tax Bulletin, If you purchased the ORV in BC, brought it into BC, or received an ORV as a gift, on or after July 1, 2010 and did not pay tax, you will be required to pay the applicable sales tax at the time of registration, unless a specific exemption applies. If the ORV was purchased prior to July 1, 2010, the ORV can be registered under the ORV Act without sales tax documentation.

Note: prior to purchasing a used ORV, would suggest searching the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database to see if an ORV has been reported stolen -- here’s the handy weblink: http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index-eng.htm

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is another reason I don't ride quartz or gorman ...

Sssoooooo ... now I need to register my honda trikes? that will be interesting ... god only knows who's names they are in ...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is another reason I don't ride quartz or gorman ...

Sssoooooo ... now I need to register my honda trikes? that will be interesting ... god only knows who's names they are in ...

What will be more interesting is if ICBC expects you to provide proof of insurance for those trikes before you can register them.

Haha, because that is highly unlikely to get insurance for trikes. Have heard many stories on trying to get those done. Maybe there are easier ways now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildchild

Reaction score
So much for riding groomed trails...

This isn't just for trails, even if it's in the back of your truck and you get stopped you need it to have it registered .

still to many flaws in the new system,government is just trying to make more money.

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is nothing more than a TAX grab. that's what I think.

Exactly. I would have no problem with it at all if it were just the registration fee. Fawk them.....Im not registering anything. And if they try to pull me over good luck catching me.

They cant charge me with sweet FA if they dont catch me. Im serious about that.

they will be prying the handle bar's out of my dead cold fingers .................. :D

Easiest way to fight the system is to say FAWKEM and PIN IT!!!!!! Catch me MOFOS

^^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly why the government in its greed has overlooked how to implement a system that would have people gladly get on board with just a registration fee for a 6 month window .

i support the registration , just not the tax grab on machines that have had tax paid on them many years ago.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about this part? You have to pay tax even if no money has changed hands! I'm so fawking mad right now I could spit nails!

"If you receive a vehicle as a gift in BC, or you receive a vehicle as a gift from outside BC and
bring or send the vehicle into the province, you must pay PST on the fair market value of the
vehicle, unless a specific exemption applies."

Last edited:

MADMAN

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly why the government in its greed has overlooked how to implement a system that would have people gladly get on board with just a registration fee for a 6 month window .

i support the registration , just not the tax grab on machines that have had tax paid on them many years ago.

No issues here with registering anything I own and have since I was 16 years old. BUT FK OFF with the money grab on a used fkn vehicle etc!

Sheep will always follow sheep ;)

Top Bottom