Do You Sled in BC?

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
powderpilot, you didn't answer the question......what is a private club??

and a second question; why would a club want to be private?

Sorry, just got in here :)

Like I said, the club broke away from BCSF before my involvement with them.

The two private clubs here are the Castlegar Snowmobile Association, and the South Slocan Snowmobile Club (I think). The second is still under Crown tenure, and the CSA a management agreement. There are also a couple others around here, Creston, and Fruitvale are both private. I think the Fruivale club operates on private land.

Sorry if the word "private" is missleading. Maybe unafiliated is a better word. Not BCSF or ABC.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry, just got in here :)

Like I said, the club broke away from BCSF before my involvement with them.

The two private clubs here are the Castlegar Snowmobile Association, and the South Slocan Snowmobile Club (I think). The second is still under Crown tenure, and the CSA a management agreement. There are also a couple others around here, Creston, and Fruitvale are both private. I think the Fruivale club operates on private land.

Sorry if the word "private" is missleading. Maybe unafiliated is a better word. Not BCSF or ABC.

the second question? Why would a club want to be "unaffiliated"? Particularly in this day and age of liabilities and the green movement.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the second question? Why would a club want to be "unaffiliated"? Particularly in this day and age of liabilities and the green movement.

I try to stay out of the politics and offer my help when it's needed. I support my club and it's descision be be affiliated or not. Ultimately it's a membership/executive descision that was made before my involvement with the club. Maybe one of the other members will chime in as to why they left BCSF.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I try to stay out of the politics and offer my help when it's needed. I support my club and it's descision be be affiliated or not. Ultimately it's a membership/executive descision that was made before my involvement with the club. Maybe one of the other members will chime in as to why they left BCSF.

So are you on the executive or just a volunteer with the Castlegar Club? That may explain why you haven't got the answers. Maybe an Executive member could give us an explanation for the "unaffiliated club" scenario. Thanks, enyway.......fs

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Himark, Although I agree with what you're saying about strength in numbers and everyone should join and support a club etc, I'm having trouble trying to understand how you thought you could get away with building a structure on crown land without the proper permits etc?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
suppost your club. yes support your sport. yes. but $200 memberships and $20 trail passes? sorry its starting to get pricey. just saying.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
suppost your club. yes support your sport. yes. but $200 memberships and $20 trail passes? sorry its starting to get pricey. just saying.

The only place that I know that is/was $200 is in Squamish.

Membership in Fernie is $80 for a primary, $40 for a secondary, Kid $30, and a Senior $30 and there is no trail pass fee for members. There is also a Family rate but I don't have the figure handy.

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes your right about the price, but the price of your membership will be a moote point if there is no place to ride. if we don't have people looking after the places that we enjoy riding in then they will disappear and for no other reason then for someone that says we as people are destroying the wilderness, I believe the cost of a weekend in the mountains,sled,gas,rooms,passes and what ever else that costs money are all worth it for 15minutes on my favorite slope. So support your club and the people that run it because the snow in bc is the best anywhere and believe me when I say if we don't look after our pass time they will take it away

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i knew the first nail i hammered in it, it could all be taking away at anytime. never once did i think i owned the land or acted that way. built it, got years use out of it. all came to an end when they found it. i tried to make it legal, didnt work. end of story. i have no animosity towards the BC forestry and i feel lucky that i got the time i had with it. lots of good memories, lots of good riding/hunting.

this topic isnt about the cabin. its about what us sledders need to do in order to keep our great riding areas alive!

**it isnt $200 for a membership*** i have provided links proving this. $75 bucks. get out there and support our sport!

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one last year and this year as well as a camp permit for our losal club and plan to buy a pass to Vale for sure and possibly Hunters range depending on my work schedule, it's a small price to pay to help keep areas open, before I was into sledding I was heavy into 4x4ing and as anyone knows who was as well knows the open areas for that are quickly diminishing, you can afford a 14,000 sled and the fuel to ride and get there what's it really hurting to pay a couple dollars to ride a day

Top Bottom