Pirate Family may be making a move. Need a advice from sledders regarding accomodation

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Our family is in the middle of a major life decision which involves selling our current home and moving to a larger property that is quite beyond our means, but a dream property for us.

The property is setup as a B@B with a basement entrance to a nice kitchen and three large bedrooms, each with their own bathroom and a small common area. Historically I know we as sledders like to cram as many as we can in a hotel room to save costs, as sledding is expensive enough, but I have seen trend towards looking for these more quiet types of accommodations.

What would you pay to have your own bedroom, own bathroom and a shared kitchenette? Three dudes sharing one toilet in the morning after a fun night is not awesome (believe me, I have been there) If you had a group of two to four, what is a room and space like this worth per night based on a two night stay minimum?

Oh and the best part is, you can ride all of the Westridge and Crystal sledding areas right from the doorstep.

Looking for any feedback and comments. Its a scary life decision.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey all,

Our family is in the middle of a major life decision which involves selling our current home and moving to a larger property that is quite beyond our means, but a dream property for us.

The property is setup as a B@B with a basement entrance to a nice kitchen and three large bedrooms, each with their own bathroom and a small common area. Historically I know we as sledders like to cram as many as we can in a hotel room to save costs, as sledding is expensive enough, but I have seen trend towards looking for these more quiet types of accommodations.

What would you pay to have your own bedroom, own bathroom and a shared kitchenette? Three dudes sharing one toilet in the morning after a fun night is not awesome (believe me, I have been there) If you had a group of two to four, what is a room and space like this worth per night based on a two night stay minimum?

Oh and the best part is, you can ride all of the Westridge and Crystal sledding areas right from the doorstep.

Looking for any feedback and comments. Its a scary life decision.
Hey Curtis,

When our group travels to the big hills this is kind of what we look for, but we're different than a lot of groups, it's generally 2 couples and we like to be able to sometimes cook our own meals etc. I think if you had your price in and around that $150-200 per night per room, it should sell year round. The other big thing is the experience that your guests would get, by that I mean, cleanliness of the suite, what is it equipped with in the kitchen? coffee pot, crock pot, plates, cutlery, toaster etc? Come summer time, what "tourist" attractions are close, do you have the same "ride from the door" type options?

Definitely not trying to throw wrenches into your already complex thoughts but things that I would be thinking.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with the future decision Curtis. I know my family and riding group would spend some time there if you could ride from the property. WCCR and Glacier House seem to be full all the time, people will pay to not be in a hotel scenario. Couples and families especially.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Could be a good option for your Avalanche Training Courses/Guiding too Curtis to be able to package the guiding/avalanche training and accommodations together in 1 all in price, or as an add on to your other services!

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I definitely look for a house rental over a hotel when I travel outside of my cabin in Valemount. Its nice to have a bigger area to relax after a day on the hill, being able to cook your own meals, and for me when I bring my wife and kids they have a bigger area to hangout in through out the day. I think you will find the older crowd more gravitate towards what you would be offering and the younger crowd crammed into a hotel room.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the ability for families to be able to sled/quad right from the door step is huge I think for year round rentals. I have been wanting to offer something like that for years out at my property and have just never got it past a dream.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd pay $500 night for that, especially if there is a riding from accommodation option.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sean and Kayla did well in Sicamous Curtis. Your reputation and contacts are going to be the icing on the dream. I'm confident you will do well.
I have no idea as to prices to charge as I have only ever stayed in hotels.

i will let him buy me a beer so i can give him all of my secrets

t300

Reaction score
As a guy who has to travel 15-20+ hours for mountains, what you describe is what we look for. Place to dry our gear at end of day is a must, tough to do in a hotel. Bonus for space to easily turn around a trailer, place to wrench on your sled if something goes sideways and of course a hot tub :). $150-200 a night where do I sign up.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you’d do good! Most sledders would support a fellow sledder before a random b&b operation. And your and your reputation would definitely be a selling feature! Have secured parking for trucks and trailers you could charge a premium and do quite well. You might think it’s not the right time to make the move but honestly is there ever the right time. My wife and I have wanted an acreage for as long as we can remember, but was never the right time. Now we are just doing it and will make it work.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option for accommodations in Valemount is definitely a good thing. Especially from a person with your reputation. I feel you will do extremely well.

I don’t feel it’s fair to put a guess on a room rate, without knowing what the other B@B are doing for a room rate, it’s been awhile since I stayed at a B@B in Vale.

It seemed the room pricing went bananas when the TMPL project came to town, and the B@B I used to stay at got hard to get into.
I heard one B@B in the valley went to a 30day cancellation from what used to be one week, from 48h when they opened.
But that’s the past, With the TMPL expansion wrapping up will the room prices remain with the other businesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Alford about what's it is like to do a B&B

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it’s worth a $100 over a hotel to have your own room and shitter, I feel you’re in a position to charge a premium and expect a premium clientel! Lot of really quality folks out there that would love to patronize you guys! your better off to have the place empty the odd time as opposed to have a bunch of clowns basically in your house!
the older I get the more I hate the whole hotel deal, and nothing worse than rooming with a slob like myself snoring and farting all night long! Sign me up for Dec 14/15/16 please

Top Bottom