Do You Sled in BC?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of getting a discount on trail passes if you're a member somewhere else in the province. I think a province wide trail pass would be difficult to do. Mainly because most clubs require the revenue from trail passes to purchase fuel and maintain their groomers and facilities. It would be hard to allocate funds through the BCSF evenly, all over the province in order to keep this revenue available to clubs through a province wide membership. A province wide pass would have to be crazy expensive too because there are so many clubs and how do you determine who gets a piece of the pie or who doesn't? Talk about "fracturing groups". No one would buy them because of the price.
Province wide trail pass isn't that difficult, most places do it (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, most of the northern States, etc). There is a spot on the trail pass form to put the name of the club that sold the pass. The vendor club submits all money to the Provincial association then is paid back a certain percentage per pass sold. Of course most provinces manage to get along with one provincial assn, not sure why BC needs 2.

jwood99

Reaction score
Province wide trail pass isn't that difficult, most places do it (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, most of the northern States, etc). There is a spot on the trail pass form to put the name of the club that sold the pass. The vendor club submits all money to the Provincial association then is paid back a certain percentage per pass sold. Of course most provinces manage to get along with one provincial assn, not sure why BC needs 2.

Saskatchewan does the same, when you buy your plates through SGI you have to buy the trail pass and that goes back to the clubs.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if it's working in other provinces, maybe it is something that should be brought to the BCSF. I also don't understand why we have 2 associations??? any way good to see guys are in for supporting their clubs.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Judging by the number of people who refuse to buy an Alberta trail pass or join an Alberta club because "I only ride in BC" you'd think the clubs in BC would be posting huge numbers..... Our sport attracts a selfish entitled sort of attitude....

The GBCA is full of self admitted azzhats but most of us hold ASA memberships AND support VARDA... I will also be picking up a membership & trail passes for McBride....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Judging by the number of people who refuse to buy an Alberta trail pass or join an Alberta club because "I only ride in BC" you'd think the clubs in BC would be posting huge numbers..... Our sport attracts a selfish entitled sort of attitude....

The GBCA is full of self admitted azzhats but most of us hold ASA memberships AND support VARDA... I will also be picking up a membership & trail passes for McBride....
While working the booth at the sled show this weekend, I was disappointed but not surprised at the number of people that asked if you need a trail pass to ride the Whitecourt trails. Not one of them actually bought a pass (from us at any rate). Lots of parasites in this province. (Sorry to hijack the thread).

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not even $200...$75 bucks to become a member of the BCSF! sad isnt it?

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Membership is more important than many folks think. Many are as low as 20-25$ if not included with a seasons pass and the majority of this goes straight to the provincial clubs for admin and insurance fees. The first post was perfect, there is power in numbers and support is crucial to the provincial clubs

Thank you to all who asked questions about membership and maybe bought a the show.

curtis

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
BC Snowmobile Federation – The Home of BC’s Sled Community – British Columbia, Canada

Some clubs are private and operate under management agreements, and a few are still under Crown tenure.

Thanks for considering becoming a membership as opposed to just paying trail passes. The membership is really the only thing that proves land use, as most clubs don't collect trail passes, or do it very sparatically.

Powderpilot, what does the above statement mean?

Once again, there are two issues involved with this thread; membership and "trail passes" or grooming fees.

Membership is the actual joining of a club and hence a provincial organization.
"Trail passes" or grooming fees are what you pay to ride a groomed trail that is provided by a club.

In most clubs, when you pay for membership, you do not have to purchase trail passes. Membership fees may be a little higher, but members do not pay for trail passes. If clubs ran the finances as a business, there would be money available from the membership dues, the "trail passes", and the fund raisers to have money in the bank and operate in the black.

I have a little difficulty believing that the money would come back to the clubs if it went into provincial coffers as it does in Saskatchewan. There would be someone somewhere taking a cut of the pie and how doo you distribute the monies equitably?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Once again, there are two issues involved with this thread; membership and "trail passes" or grooming fees.

"Trail passes" or grooming fees are what you pay to ride a groomed trail that is provided by a club.

In most clubs, when you pay for membership, you do not have to purchase trail passes. Membership fees may be a little higher, but members do not pay for trail passes. If clubs ran the finances as a business, there would be money available from the membership dues, the "trail passes", and the fund raisers to have money in the bank and operate in the black.

I have a little difficulty believing that the money would come back to the clubs if it went into provincial coffers as it does in Saskatchewan. There would be someone somewhere taking a cut of the pie and how doo you distribute the monies equitably?
one of the folks here should be able to fill you in.Contact Us

zeke

Reaction score
I re-upped my membership/trail pass with the Valemount girls at the show.
2 of us in our group are doing it and trying to get the rest in as well. It's something we all have to do if we want to keep riding in the mtns.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is the debate going on within our membership now.

Our club operates under a management agreement. We have the right to maintain trails, and cabins for public use. I'm guessing probably half the clubs in BC operate independently of the ABC or BCSF. From what I understand our club broke out of the BCSF a few years back because of the cost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one, it was before my time with the club.

Our club essentially operates as a business, we use membership fees, trail passes, funraiser cash and donations to buy fuel for the groomer, maintain and upgrade equipment, and make imporvements to trails and cabins.The only difference between us and a business is that all of the labour is volunteer at this point, although we would love to have a paid groomer operator. With the increased usage of the area, it puts more stress on the equipment, volunteers, trails, and cabins.

And yes, it's the same 20% doing 80% of the work. Or more like 5% doing 100%.

Not sure how it works in Sask, but in BC, you can buy your BCSF membership through them or your club. I'm guessing BCSF takes a percentage or a split for admin fees, and the rest goes to the club?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This is the debate going on within our membership now.

Our club operates under a management agreement. We have the right to maintain trails, and cabins for public use. I'm guessing probably half the clubs in BC operate independently of the ABC or BCSF. From what I understand our club broke out of the BCSF a few years back because of the cost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one, it was before my time with the club.

Our club essentially operates as a business, we use membership fees, trail passes, funraiser cash and donations to buy fuel for the groomer, maintain and upgrade equipment, and make imporvements to trails and cabins.The only difference between us and a business is that all of the labour is volunteer at this point, although we would love to have a paid groomer operator. With the increased usage of the area, it puts more stress on the equipment, volunteers, trails, and cabins.

And yes, it's the same 20% doing 80% of the work. Or more like 5% doing 100%.

Not sure how it works in Sask, but in BC, you can buy your BCSF membership through them or your club. I'm guessing BCSF takes a percentage or a split for admin fees, and the rest goes to the club?

First question; what type of insurance do you have for the groomer, director's, cabins, and trails? Are the director's covered for liability when they are doing trail work, volunteer work etc.?
Second question; why don't you belong to one of the provincial organizations? It only makes sense to me that you would support one of the provincial groups as they are the ones that will/should go to bat for the clubs in the event of closures, etc.

Yes, the BCSF takes a percentage to run the organization, pay for insurance, work with the Canadian Snowmobile Society and the International Congress, and to carry out programs that are available throughout the province.

This is the first time I have heard of a "private club" in BC or one that does not belong to either of the provincial organizations. Now, saying that, I have only been involved with the BC situation for 12 years and I am not fully versed in all the idiosyncrasies.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I joined two private clubs, one BCSF club, and volunteer heavily for my local club. I never rode the areas of two of the three clubs I joined.

Our insurance covers the groomer, and anyone on the executive I believe.

First question; what type of insurance do you have for the groomer, director's, cabins, and trails? Are the director's covered for liability when they are doing trail work, volunteer work etc.?
Second question; why don't you belong to one of the provincial organizations? It only makes sense to me that you would support one of the provincial groups as they are the ones that will/should go to bat for the clubs in the event of closures, etc.

Yes, the BCSF takes a percentage to run the organization, pay for insurance, work with the Canadian Snowmobile Society and the International Congress, and to carry out programs that are available throughout the province.

This is the first time I have heard of a "private club" in BC or one that does not belong to either of the provincial organizations. Now, saying that, I have only been involved with the BC situation for 12 years and I am not fully versed in all the idiosyncrasies.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm still in the dark. Maybe I'm not asking the correct questions?

Our club belongs to the BCSF and we have two management agreements. We are not a private club. Who are the private clubs that you speak of?

Why wouldn't a club join the BCSF or ABC Snow? I don't understand the thinking involved with not joining a provincial organization.

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good conversation and I do have my memberships in both ab and bc, and did not have a problem with paying percentage when we rode at another club, a conversation that I had with a member of another club was that the popular areas got all the gravey and the not so popular areas didn't, I guess this is a buissness for some and a sport for others, support it fix it. I decide to ride so I will pay and do what I can to support my clubs, Seems to me that the cariboo might be easier to get along with !

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keeping this at the top....where it belongs...

Top Bottom