BC Mandatory Registration begins next week....FYI

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trikes used to always come under the ATV category, seeing as they were here first! If your enquiring about paying tax on them I'd have to say you won't, but I'd check with ICBC to see if in fact they still meet the ATV category as far as having to register them or not. Unfortunately with warning tickets, at least 50% of the ones that got them really didn't care anyways and carried on like they always did! Sometimes that's what you get for being a "nice guy" in the police business. After years of your "niceness" being abused it easier for the enforcer's to just write ticket's and forget about the warnings. .......Sherm

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres all the info I have aquired.......the biggest thing is the tax...read the act carefully as certain exemptions do apply depending on year etc vehicle was bought....

Off Road Vehicle Management Framework - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

https://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm

Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act

I registered 2 of our sleds today.....one was a gift to me......the other one an american import which had GST paid at border and wifey paid PST at time she registered it years ago......whole process to over 3 hours as the staff ran into alot of issues with the ICBC program....in the end we both paid 38 bucks apiece ($48.00 less the $10.00 refund for the previous registration) and got our papers and plate.......it may look like alot of reading but made me understand the process alot better in the end

geo

Reaction score
Sherm. It's your past parking lot scenes like you describe that give me nightmares not "paying to play" lol. I actually have to worry about my attitude or I might feel the full force of the law lol.

Scenario; Blue bird morning. "Morning sir". "Mornin' bud. What's up?" "Plates and registration please". "Regy's in the truck and plate's under the hood. Give me a minute". "The law states,,,". "Well that's just stupid. Your only goin' to ask me down here for the regy and anywhere I mount the plate it'll be covered with snow before I leave the trail"! "Sorry sir, I suggest you mount your plate and put your registration in your pocket while I write you up or,,, just load your snowmobile, sir. By the way sir, do you have proper clearance lights for your overhang"? "Fawk"! "Hands on the hood and spread them sir".

Sorry Sherm. It made me laugh when you mentioned attitude and thought of it from 2 points of view. Attitude can make you a criminal in Canada as quickly as breaking a law from what you said.
This is my issue though. Problem is, I always thought I lived on a 2 way street not in a cattle through. Hippies eh.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I looked at the "gift form" and there is a date of April 1, 2013. It appears to me that ORV's purchased after that date can't be gifted. Seems strange but not unbelievable.

You talking about page 8/9 of this one Doug?

I'm pretty sure there's an "OR" missing at the end of the last bullet line in paragraph 1. I have a sled to gift to my daughter, so I'll be finding out next year. If they try to make her pay tax it'll be staying in my name legally registered under the old system and they can ...:kissass:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, and in particular #3.

Gifts to Related Individuals
If you receive a vehicle as a gift, you are exempt from paying PST on the vehicle if the person who gave you the vehicle (the donor) is a related individual to you and:
1. paid one of the following taxes on the purchase of the vehicle:
• PST (under the Provincial Sales Tax Act),
• tax on designated property (TDP) (under the Consumption Tax Rebate and Transition Act),
• a provincial portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST),
• PST (under the Social Service Tax Act), or
• sales tax of another province,
2. was exempt from PST (under the Provincial Sales Tax Act), TDP (under the Consumption Tax Rebate and Transition Act) or PST (under the Social Service Tax Act) that would have otherwise been payable, or
3. received the vehicle as a gift in BC prior to April 1, 2013.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
geo, I feel your pain brother!! Ya, I know, there is always more than one way to look at things but I certainly won't make up excuse's for dickhead Officer's, they are out there! The problem with doing checks on the hill boils down to a manpower issue. Even when we did "parking lot" checks, most of the time it was on a day off which we only were reimbursed for. Why did I do it? I love sleds and to chat it up with sledders, as long as that respect boundary is maintained by both parties. I openly admit that when I got some sledder that was a complete arse from the get go, he did not have a very good day afterwards. How would you like to get your truck/trailer towed at 1000 AM because you pulled up stoned at a checkstop. The checks the Officer's do just aren't for sleds and in fact more coupons are written for non sled infractions. I just don't get why its so difficult to put your Reg into a Zip Loc and tuck it on your sled somewhere and the decals, no brainer, stick it on the tunnel. Guys are now putting sledwraps on and you sometimes can't even tell what kinda sled it is yet they complain about a couple of small decals?? Or now the plate, really? Anyways, I digress, and this site will not let me type one letter without making a mistake so I'll leave it here! Sherm

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyways, I digress, and this site will not let me type one letter without making a mistake so I'll leave it here! Sherm

click the little "a/A"s in the top left corner of the reply box. They will help if you are having trouble typing and it starts acting all weird, like if its not letting you hit "enter" and move down a line to put a space in etc.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly why the government in its greed has overlooked how to implement a system that would have people gladly get on board with just a registration fee for a 6 month window .

i support the registration , just not the tax grab on machines that have had tax paid on them many years ago.
i read that for you bc people it is a one time fee as for us in alberta it is 52dollars a year so be happy

xpsledneck

Reaction score
question what are they going to do to the people from the USA that don't require registration where they are from? also can i register my sled in BC as i don't ride in Alberta and don't want to pay the same price as my truck every year to register my sled?

xpsledneck

Reaction score
your the one that moved there tex i take it you have to pay that because you where exempt from paying it on your sled when you bought it?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I re-register my already registered sleds today, the first registration was a lot cheaper than the second one was. The first registration was suppose to be a one time deal, now they are promising the second one for sure is a one time deal, 2hrs later and I had re-registered my already registered sleds. Then I got to the atv's, half our later I realized I was going to have proof I bought my 1984 Honda new, of coarse I did not have that. So now I have to go down to the lawyers and swear out two affidavits who bought the atvs and where they came from. It is going to get expensive. I am going to say who ever wants to do this...it is not worth your time

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your the one that moved there tex i take it you have to pay that because you where exempt from paying it on your sled when you bought it?
When I bought it I was in Alberta...

Payed the gst on it yes

Not 100% sure on my 2010 xp, or the sled I got last year... But some how the new sled I'm sure they will want the full wack if I registered it... Not sure if I'm going to

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I re-register my already registered sleds today, the first registration was a lot cheaper than the second one was. The first registration was suppose to be a one time deal, now they are promising the second one for sure is a one time deal, 2hrs later and I had re-registered my already registered sleds. Then I got to the atv's, half our later I realized I was going to have proof I bought my 1984 Honda new, of coarse I did not have that. So now I have to go down to the lawyers and swear out two affidavits who bought the atvs and where they came from. It is going to get expensive. I am going to say who ever wants to do this...it is not worth your time
That's fawking retarded.... How many people are going to say piss on it if it like that

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most will say piss on it and take the fine if it ever happens.....

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I looked at the "gift form" and there is a date of April 1, 2013. It appears to me that ORV's purchased after that date can't be gifted. Seems strange but not unbelievable.

I think #3 refers to the donor Doug......think they worried about a certain time frame of being regifted if the donor recieved said vehicle as a gift....did that even make sense??

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When I bought it I was in Alberta...

Payed the gst on it yes

Not 100% sure on my 2010 xp, or the sled I got last year... But some how the new sled I'm sure they will want the full wack if I registered it... Not sure if I'm going to

Geoff, go down to ICBC during your lunch break and see about the sleds being settler's possessions.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Go to a Notary. A lot cheaper than a lawyer. All you have to do is sign an affidavit and have them notarize it.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to a Notary. A lot cheaper than a lawyer. All you have to do is sign an affidavit and have them notarize it.

this is messed also....now every stolen toy can be made legit.....this system is phucked.....nothing more than a cash grab.....at least with the old system you had to prove ownership and if you couldn't, oh well, pay the fine !!!!

Top Bottom