BC Mandatory Registration begins next week....FYI

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is messed also....now every stolen toy can be made legit.....this system is phucked.....nothing more than a cash grab.....at least with the old system you had to prove ownership and if you couldn't, oh well, pay the fine !!!!
? If its in the system as a stolen VIN, you won't be able to register it, notarized or not. That's one of the benefits of the system, not a drawback.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out of province can't be gifted so i was told, but the person who lives in alberta can register it in bc...figure that one out. Then transfer it in your name 68 dollars to get this done.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me think why would i even ride in bc. Usa has some great spots and they suport riders??????? Wish i did not live in bc.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
? If its in the system as a stolen VIN, you won't be able to register it, notarized or not. That's one of the benefits of the system, not a drawback.

once you get it notarized its all legal....I wonder what happens then if the serial # actually shows up stolen....and does the RCMP stolen database crossover with ICBC, it would not surprise me if they didn't...anyone know if they do ?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I care about stolen stuff, that is why i am going through all this crap. ICBC only cares about collecting the sales tax and making a fortune off of this. Hopefully the police think it is worth our while returning stolen property. One more thing, i tried to peal off the old license plate but man that is on there and still looks like new. Where the hell do i stick this new license plate? I wonder how many of these license plates we are going to pick up all over the dam place. Every mud hole and the bottom of every wreckage, the old stuff worked why change it?

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering this a new thing in BC, but pretty normal across the continent - Why the hell do the manufacturers of these toys not include a default spot for the ghey sticker/plates?

Just do it, make it a normal thing to have them in one spot.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
once you get it notarized its all legal....I wonder what happens then if the serial # actually shows up stolen....and does the RCMP stolen database crossover with ICBC, it would not surprise me if they didn't...anyone know if they do ?

Yes. This is one of the reasons for the new system. The old system was a paper data base and the only thing the RCMP could check with a VIN was if it was reported stolen. Now they will be able to check and see who it is registered to, etc.. At least that is the plan. We'll see. Supposed to be just like a car registration. Ya' right.......:snow:

framtam

Reaction score
What date does it come in to effect at which a fine can be issued for riding a non-registered 'OHV' on public/crown land in BC? Who has the authority to issue these fines?

If a a dude from Oregon (registration not required) decides to ride his 'OHV' on public/crown land in BC, is he exempt?

Also, where is it written that a person sitting in a hut at a trail head can collect revenue from the public to 'enter' public land? what is involved in this transaction?

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What date does it come in to effect at which a fine can be issued for riding a non-registered 'OHV' on public/crown land in BC? Who has the authority to issue these fines?

If a a dude from Oregon (registration not required) decides to ride his 'OHV' on public/crown land in BC, is he exempt?

Also, where is it written that a person sitting in a hut at a trail head can collect revenue from the public to 'enter' public land? what is involved in this transaction?

A loaded question. June of 2015 is the date for the beginning of fines for sleds/quads. The RCMP and CO's (conservation officers) have the authority to issue tickets. It would be up to you whether or not you paid the fine.

IMHO, if the person writing the ticket or doing the inspection for registration could find out about the laws in Oregon, it would be alright to be there without registration. The laws of the "home province/state" would be required. For example, it a sled is registered in Alberta (mandatory registration) and brought into BC, the Alberta registration is all that is required. The trail agreements that the clubs have with the BC government and/or a private land owner give them the right to charge an agreed upon trail pass fee.

I looked for a picture of a sign stating the act but I can't find it. Moyiesledhead would have a picture of that for sure.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1) Please read page 1 of this thread. RCMP and enforcement officers are responsible for issuing fines under the Motor Vehicles Act. Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act

2) Direct from the Snowmobile Guide to Environmental Stewardship in BC - "The Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act also requires that snowmobiles be registered and marked with
identification numbers in B.C. (Section 2). This section also states that out-of-province snowmobilers
may enter and operate in B.C. for up to 30 days, provided they are registered with their province of
residence and display a permit, or obtain special permission to operate in B.C., if their province does not
require registration."

3) I don't believe they are charging you to enter "public" land, they are charging for the grooming service and trail maintenance that they provide. Go ride a bumpy ass single track if you don't want to pay.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
1) ...............

3) I don't believe they are charging you to enter "public" land, they are charging for the grooming service and trail maintenance that they provide. Go ride a bumpy ass single track if you don't want to pay.

Right on. If it is a groomed trail (and that can be only once every two weeks in some circumstances), the clubs charge in most instances and so they should as fuel, maintenance, cabins, and all the other items are quite expensive.

Top Bottom