Would you be ok?

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a real scary moment this past trip when my son fell deep into a tree well and got partially buried by snow... fortunately all turned out ok as he was able to radio buddies who were close by! They quickly came and saved him. BIG THANKS from a relieved Dad as I was stuck myself at the time. Do you ride with at least one buddy nearby who has your six and you got theirs? Do you have a shoulder mike and a good radio? Posting this as a learning to all us all how quickly your situation can change no matter how good a rider you are... ride safe!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7uvbBEFwrT/?igshid=savlfnfhxpp7

Damn Jim, so glad to hear everyone is ok. Scary! Ty?

As you know that’s exactly why I always like to bust the larger group into sub groups of two. Also why I always like to be caboose. So I can keep an eye on anyone who goes “squirrel”. We all like riding creeks and trees vs open meadows. Should always have a equal’ish skill level wing man. Just take turns leading.

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn Jim, so glad to hear everyone is ok. Scary! Ty?

As you know that’s exactly why I always like to bust the larger group into sub groups of two. Also why I always like to be caboose. We all like riding creeks and trees vs open meadows. Should always have a equal’ish skill level wing man.
I was thinking of exactly what you always say when it happened! Great points. We did split the bigger group into sub groups the next day, but I think pairing up as well is best.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy have the same thing happen to him once. He was the six, the lead did a pull through the trees, stopped, didn’t see his wing come up right after so he turned around and pulled his wingman out of a tree 20ft away. The lead needs to look back too. Buddy in the tree couldn’t get to his radio mic to ask for help.

Also had my buddy Glen riding a creek with his wingman who wasn’t the same skill level. Glen was pinned under his sled in the creek. He could hear the water running by his head. The wingman didn’t follow because the line was to knarly for him and he made his way back to the main group. That’s when I learned the wingman needs to be as capable (or better) as the lead. Took Glen a bit but he slowly dug himself out. I was not to happy with his 6 that day.

Trees and creeks scare me more than avy’s now.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also a reason for a tether. We were in Blue River I picked a line through the trees as I went between them one hooked my throttle cable pulling the throttle open also slamming my shoulder into the tree I landed on my back I the tree well with the track above me. Saving grace was Yamaha TORS!!! Now my tether is always connected I wear a radio plus a tech vest. I raced for many years, broke bones and nothing scared me like a tree well with a sled that could have been running wide open directly over me.

Reactions: RXN

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gnarly, how does a guy avoid getting sucked in? (Besides staying at home lol)

For creeks do you want to wait until a long period of freezing temps?

And for tree wells does a guy just avoid going anywhere near trees?

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I started riding 20yrs ago....no radios.
Now...won’t ride with someone who doesn’t have a radio.

Just another tool to make your day better.
anyone who has rode with you knows there will be a discussion at the parking lot of who his lead,who watches who and who is tail man, another way of trying to keep everyone aware of each other.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gnarly, how does a guy avoid getting sucked in? (Besides staying at home lol)

For creeks do you want to wait until a long period of freezing temps?

And for tree wells does a guy just avoid going anywhere near trees?
Throttle is your best friend, pin it to win it.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a real scary moment this past trip when my son fell deep into a tree well and got partially buried by snow... fortunately all turned out ok as he was able to radio buddies who were close by! They quickly came and saved him. BIG THANKS from a relieved Dad as I was stuck myself at the time. Do you ride with at least one buddy nearby who has your six and you got theirs? Do you have a shoulder mike and a good radio? Posting this as a learning to all us all how quickly your situation can change no matter how good a rider you are... ride safe!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7uvbBEFwrT/?igshid=savlfnfhxpp7

Hi!!! Mr Jungle Jim I'm writing an article on Treewell safety at this moment. Can I chat with you?

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last ride was with my daughter.
I ride with her more than anyone else and trust her 100%.
We came across a guy riding alone and really stuck...he didn't know where his group was so we told him to ride with us until we found them, which we did 3 hours later. What an unorganized group of 4 guys holy crap.

Reactions: RXN

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last ride was with my daughter.
I ride with her more than anyone else and trust her 100%.
We came across a guy riding alone and really stuck...he didn't know where his group was so we told him to ride with us until we found them, which we did 3 hours later. What an unorganized group of 4 guys holy crap.
Should have to take an IQ test to go into the back country. But that guy may have been one of those guys you are constantly looking for as he wanders off with out any care for his partners?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride within site of each other. Problem solved.

WOW, are you out of touch with the kind of terrain that many are riding. Tight trees, steep lines. Often no other guys can follow your line to stay close enough to track where you are and they are focused on their own line or they will be in a tree well themselves.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup that sh*t terrifies me it can happen so fast. That’s the number one reason not to ride alone and have constant radio communication. People get annoyed with me checking in all the time but if you haven’t seen or heard from a member of your group for more than a couple minutes you should be checking in for reasons like this. Well done on having the proper communication devices! Made all the difference
After last winter I roll it same as scuba deal. Buddy system follow the leaders always fun an there’s always someone with you. Chit goes sideways in a sec. You can be the best rider with the best radio but if your alone the risk factor is exponentially higher. Minimize exposure to incidents having another at all time is easy way to accomplish it.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I think that's first day in the hills Rule #1... never stare the tree down it actives the tree magnets in the sled..[/Q I have closed my eyes and sometimes, just sometimes it doesn't pull me in. Lol I imagine most of us have tried it the odd time.

Last edited:

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there are lots of danger out there as the lead rider most of the time. U have to manage your group and pair people up. I alway tell the group were we are headed and how we are getting there. I ride with the pace of the group. We all have vhf radios and gps . I have used my poll location on my rino to save me and others from being trapped or to find each other. I feel the buddy system is best . Ride safe .

Top Bottom