Would you be ok?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a real scary moment this past trip when my son fell deep into a tree well and got partially buried by snow... fortunately all turned out ok as he was able to radio buddies who were close by! They quickly came and saved him. BIG THANKS from a relieved Dad as I was stuck myself at the time. Do you ride with at least one buddy nearby who has your six and you got theirs? Do you have a shoulder mike and a good radio? Posting this as a learning to all us all how quickly your situation can change no matter how good a rider you are... ride safe!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7uvbBEFwrT/?igshid=savlfnfhxpp7

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a good question.
Personally I guess until I am in a situation like that I could only speculate.
My daughter is only 2. But I hope she becomes a riding buddy as we age. I'd probably panic a bit with worry. But again as you mentioned with a good radio and shoulder mic. You can gauge the situation better. If your son wasn't panicking then really is there a reason to panic?

I've often wondered how my dad felt when he took me out.
I remember mom telling him, "if anything happens to him, you'd better not come home".
I rode many years with dad in the hills. All sorts of stuff. And of course never once considered him to worry or have a thought about me getting hurt.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup that sh*t terrifies me it can happen so fast. That’s the number one reason not to ride alone and have constant radio communication. People get annoyed with me checking in all the time but if you haven’t seen or heard from a member of your group for more than a couple minutes you should be checking in for reasons like this. Well done on having the proper communication devices! Made all the difference

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Yup that sh*t terrifies me it can happen so fast. That’s the number one reason not to ride alone and have constant radio communication. People get annoyed with me checking in all the time but if you haven’t seen or heard from a member of your group for more than a couple minutes you should be checking in for reasons like this. Well done on having the proper communication devices! Made all the difference

I agree....do the samething.

Goliath

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I just upgraded a radio and mic my last ride out. I couldn't be happier with it. It is clear and has great range. Last trip before this one, my buddy Chad "disappeared" and I was getting another guy un stuck and could not get ahold of him. Turns out he was about 400m from me, could hear me but I couldn't hear him on the radio. He ended up using someone else's radio and had no problem getting ahold of me. NO THANKS! Bought better radios!

I always say, Its sometimes hard justifying the money we spend on good equipment, but when you truly need it, its worth every penny! NO REGRETS

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I agree 100%. I just upgraded a radio and mic my last ride out. I couldn't be happier with it. It is clear and has great range. Last trip before this one, my buddy Chad "disappeared" and I was getting another guy un stuck and could not get ahold of him. Turns out he was about 400m from me, could hear me but I couldn't hear him on the radio. He ended up using someone else's radio and had no problem getting ahold of me. NO THANKS! Bought better radios!

I always say, Its sometimes hard justifying the money we spend on good equipment, but when you truly need it, its worth every penny! NO REGRETS

When I started riding 20yrs ago....no radios.
Now...won’t ride with someone who doesn’t have a radio.

Just another tool to make your day better.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
When I started riding 20yrs ago....no radios.
Now...won’t ride with someone who doesn’t have a radio.

Just another tool to make your day better.

remember when Raymond fell into a treewell up on a hill and we saw his sled but no Ray? All ended well, but that was eerie

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually I’m in groups of two. Rule of thumb we use is to keep the other in line of sight, and use the radios to stay in touch with other groups. I don’t ride with the lone explorers, as usually spend more time looking for / worrying about them then enjoying the day...sticking together is the best way to avoid mishaps.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife says the same thing as your mom. Something happens to our son you better not come home. I find when my son first started riding in our area's my heartbeats increase lots. Now with the radio's I still need to know where he is at all times.
That is a good question.
Personally I guess until I am in a situation like that I could only speculate.
My daughter is only 2. But I hope she becomes a riding buddy as we age. I'd probably panic a bit with worry. But again as you mentioned with a good radio and shoulder mic. You can gauge the situation better. If your son wasn't panicking then really is there a reason to panic?

I've often wondered how my dad felt when he took me out.
I remember mom telling him, "if anything happens to him, you'd better not come home".
I rode many years with dad in the hills. All sorts of stuff. And of course never once considered him to worry or have a thought about me getting hurt.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goliath, What radio did you upgrade to? Im looking to get one myself. As my Garmin Rhino never seems to work when needed.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda hard to stay together all the time in the trees.

I've found myself stuck in some chitty spots by myself, yes it's scary and it's great when your buddy finds you.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Curious as to what radios you had and what you upgraded to? I have a Baofeng radio.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And pray you don’t go in there head first or your sled on top of you!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goliath, What radio did you upgrade to? Im looking to get one myself. As my Garmin Rhino never seems to work when needed.
Rhinos work as good as any other radios. Most times I've seen issues it's the user talking before pushing PTT button.

Goliath

Reaction score
Curious as to what radios you had and what you upgraded to? I have a Baofeng radio.
I went from a BCA to a Baofang with the large antenna. Much better!

Its not perfect but much better. We were at Renshaw this last weekend and when we dropped over the "drop of doom" we lost contact with the guy at the cabin. Approx 2 miles away. Too be expected with that kind of hill in your way.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Head first and you would have a very high chance of fatality. #eyesonyourguys. #radiochatter is all that matters. Big white hills don't freak me out as much as treewells.
We had one last week......one in the well and helper went in immediately. can happen so quickly.
Be safe
RS

Top Bottom