Worst and Best Mods ive Done to ATV's

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think the best modds iv done so far was the warn front bumper , skid plates rims, and tire not the 29.5 outlaws though or the clutch kit the 29.5s wear awsome but i dont know how to let off the gas so front ends tend to blow to pices. and the clutch kit i dont know just dont like it the hight lifter clutch kit it not a good set up to have on the brutes harder on belts.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the mods I've done to my 660 have been well worth it. They all added performance (not as much as advertized). My favorites have been the hi-comp piston/mudbuster cam, stroker crank, clutch kit, and snorkles. My least favorite on my 660 was the jet kit, while the wifes Polaris really woke up with it. The Polaris really woke up with the Heal Clicker clutch kit as well.

Buddman27

Reaction score
I appreciate my mods. The tires and rims however make the biggest difference. The cage additions and the 4 pt harness are the most important to me. The snorkel looks cool but I never drove the machine without it so nothing to compare. I was told the clutch upgrade would help with belt wear and was wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference good or bad. I have also had problems finding a setting on my EFI controller that doesn't cause backfire. I did notice a difference in the setting adjustment as the snow got heavier though. Anyone have an idea about the DFR G3? I was also wondering about putting in a 2" lift but want to keep my stock width(no spacers) as I really enjoy the quad trails and the narrower hill climbs etc... Does 2" lift make much of a stability difference. Anyone have input? Thanks

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
The most frequent upgrades from stock that i see is people get better tires. Second is bumpers, (drunk friends always smashin ch!t), third probly be 2mm shimming and a clutch kit. Have done some Dobeck/powercommander tuning.
Done alot of filters and slip-ons. The big upgrade this year has been moose/symtec h&t kits.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more on the k&n filter what a risk dust and as for the pipe i wont do it again now i just get a head ache and annoy the neighbours, as for the tires thats just obvious and rims as long as the hub cap is part of the rim its worth it you cant go wrong with not risking losin a 10 dollar piece

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best & Worst Mods for me ....

I have an 03 660 Grizz .....
Some of the best ... in no particular order (Except by my comments)

Winch ... ya gotta have a winch. I made a setup where I can use it on the front or the rear. I can also move it so when I plow, it's pulls the plow straight up. No sharp bends.

Tires - Picked the bike up with 27" 589s ... great tire. Later I bought some 27" GBC Dirt Tamers ... those tires are great for summer riding, mild mud & snow.

Air Filter - I did the K&N ... personally, I like K&N's, but the setup to replace the stock filter kinda sucked. Later I got a Pro Design setup & it's been great. I would like to try a Uni-Air foam filter or a Twin Air one however, just cause I've heard so much about'em.

Pipe - My stock exhaust can split, so I had to get something. I bought a Leo Vince X3 slip on pipe. I've had it for a year now & it's been a great add-on. I gained a tad bit maybe & with the quiet-core installed, I think it's quieter (is that a word ?) than my stock one .... however, I have no idea how long the stock exhaust can was split, so maybe that's why the X3 seems quieter ?? ... :d

Clutch kit - I installed a Dalton clutch kit for 27 & 28" tires. I felt like this helped my bottom end. But having never ran stock 25" tires, I had nothing to compare it to.

Some of the best non-performance mods - New Pro Taper Fat Bar handlebars, PowerMadd handlebar riser, and ODI grips. Man, what a difference when riding.

Another non-performance mod, I had some extra 87 Banshee front shocks I put on the front of the Grizz. What a difference that made. I would love to get some high-dollar shocks. Someday maybe .... sigh ....

Tracks ... for pure fun these can't be beat. However, that's when I started to try other mods.

Machined sheave - the place I bought mine didn't make one for the 660 Grizzly, so I bought one for a 660 Rhino. For me, this mod was money well spent. I had better bottom end, more snap out of the corners, & it pulled hills much harder. It worked great with the tracks. (I kept the Dalton Clutch kit roller weights with the sheave)

CDI - the one I bought seemed to give my bike a little more when pulling hills. I would buy another one in a heart-beat. And, I love the reverse & diff lock over-ride. For me, those two things alone made it worth it.

HighLifter HD Radiator - to me, this is a great mod. More cooling is always a good thing.

Now one of the BEST custom mods I did was adapting a Remote Daul Oil Filter setup to the Grizz along with an engine oil cooler. Yeah Buddy !

Worst Mods ....

Performance coil - well, I wanted to try it. Has it helped ? I have no idea.

Performance rectifier - probably should've saved that money, but who knows. I have it now & I have no issues with it.

Over-fenders .... Ummm .... I like them when the tracks are on ... I don't like them with tires, regardless of how much mud they keep off me.

And a future mod I have plans for ... the 686 Big Block Kit ....

A comment on skid plates ... so far ... my stock plastic one has been OK. I want to get a set of aluminum ones, but I have an issue with how they collect & hold mud & twigs in them. What a pain to have to remove them to really get the inside of the frame clean. Oh well ... the price for fun, eh ?? :cool:

Well, I think that's it. It seems I've done some others, but I can't think of'em. For the most part, I'm pleased with the money I've spent on my mods. :d

Oh yeah, almost forgot ... Two other must have ... add-ons ... a GPS & a camera ... WHAT ??

Later .....

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post Gunny.

Curious: How come you don't like the "over fenders" with tires? I assume over fenders are like fender extensions.

What cdi did you refer to?

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowdin ... yes, the over fenders are like fender extenders. Yamaha just calls them "OverFenders"

The overfenders with tires make the bike like a low-rider to me. I know ... I can't see that when I'm sitt'in in the saddle ... but I look at it at home & when I walk by ... I'm think'in ... what is wrong with my bike ?? :d

The CDI I bought was from Hauck Power Sports. But since then, I've heard great things about the DynaTek CDI .... and may try one of them later this year.

Later ...

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at these once. I did a web search and from what I read, I decided to spend my money someplace else.

So, I'd have to say, save yer money .... but if ya really want to know if it works or not .... buy one. :d

Then let us know if it does work .... or if we should save our money :rolleyes: ..... WHAT ??

Later ....

Top Bottom