Wiscoe pistons on a Polaris CFI 700

indyguy

Reaction score
Anybody use Wiscoes on the CFI 700/800s? Good/bad?
Keep thinking of sticking with OEM but wondering how the aftermarket pistons are lately. I have used SPX in the past with good luck.

tigger too

Reaction score
Keep thinking of sticking with OEM but wondering how the aftermarket pistons are lately. I have used SPX in the past with good luck.

stay with the stock pistons weisco pistons r forged and they heat up faster than the jugs and are prone to cold seizing

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

I ran SPI the teflon coated skirt ones in my 98 rmk 700. no problems.I think i am going to try them in my m7

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used weiscos in every engine i have ever rebuilt. Never have I or any one i know cold seize the engine due to using weisco pistons. you can't just slap them in and run, the cylinders have to honed and matched to the piston. The other thing is let the thing warm up which every one should do any way. Your choice if you are just slaping in pistons go with stockers but if you take the pistons and jugs to a machine shop weiscos work fine if done right.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used weiscos in every engine i have ever rebuilt. Never have I or any one i know cold seize the engine due to using weisco pistons. you can't just slap them in and run, the cylinders have to honed and matched to the piston. The other thing is let the thing warm up which every one should do any way. Your choice if you are just slaping in pistons go with stockers but if you take the pistons and jugs to a machine shop weiscos work fine if done right.

You may not have but lots of other people have cold seized their motors because they did not let their wiseco's warm up enough. If you let them warm up they are fine, but you cannot run them WFO from the parking lot with no warm up or you have a high likelihood of cold seize. This is generally not a good thing to do to any sled, but if you have wiseco pistons you really need to let it warm up. They are made of a denser alloy and will last just as long as stockers otherwise. They are also not as brittle as stock pistons and are less prone to snapping skirts. Where's Maxwell? He has put a lot of yrs on wiseco's and has nothing bad to say. Again, get them sized right by a machine shop and let them warm up, they will last a long time. SPI/SPX are cast pistons, not the same as wiseco's. Wiseco's are forged pistons.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may not have but lots of other people have cold seized their motors because they did not let their wiseco's warm up enough. If you let them warm up they are fine, but you cannot run them WFO from the parking lot with no warm up or you have a high likelihood of cold seize. This is generally not a good thing to do to any sled, but if you have wiseco pistons you really need to let it warm up. They are made of a denser alloy and will last just as long as stockers otherwise. They are also not as brittle as stock pistons and are less prone to snapping skirts. Where's Maxwell? He has put a lot of yrs on wiseco's and has nothing bad to say. Again, get them sized right by a machine shop and let them warm up, they will last a long time. SPI/SPX are cast pistons, not the same as wiseco's. Wiseco's are forged pistons.

X2...never had any problems whatsoever with wiseco, but again WARM UP IS PARAMOUNT, not enough heat and they WILL fail

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use spi's in all my beer drinkin buddys sleds no problems , wisco's had problems, heavy D said it ' warm up is paramount '

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I used wisco in my 01 Summit 800...blew up again 85 km's later! I've heard not to use wisco in sleds...apparently ok to put in dirt bikes...buy OEM!

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wiesco's work in sleds just make sure you warm the thing up. Also the reason that most people sieze wiesco's is they are forged pistons which actually have thinner skirts (because they are stronger) the skirt actually atracts the heat. Skirt expands faster rate than dome result COLD SIEZE:realmad:
The nice thing about these pistons is they can work very well in a application where the cylinders are slightly oversized from wear (weather it be stock or bored oversize). Being a forged pistion they need a little more clearance than cast ones. wiesco says .005 for most of the pistons i have done(snowmobile,marine) but some dirt bikes run alot tighter than that.

make sure you use a bore gauge and a mic to make sure your cylinders are true and to figure out you pist/cyl clearance no matter which way you go.
Do it right the first time it costs less that way:)
cheers:d:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
send yourn cyls down to cyleworks machine shop in edmonton. they will have a set of wiseco pistons for that sled and they will last a long time. like mentioned warmup is EXTREMELEY IMPORTANT.

but that being said.

i always warm my sleds up until there is coolant running through the coolers when im running wiseco pistons and i do the same for my sleds with stock pistons. never any problems cold seizing.
in my opininon every sled should be warmed up to that point but thats just me

Top Bottom