Why so many riders without helmets still?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I wear a lid when I'm quadding but I have to admit that when I'm hunting I do not. I am usually wearing my lucky hunting hat lol. :beer::cool:

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to let it be personal choice for adults, not kids, because if you dont people will not wear one just to prove a point. kids have to be protected, they dont have the decision skills that adults are supposed to have... and Dean, we both have rode with an individual that does NOT wear a helmet. and he wont.... ever. but that is his choice

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not on here to argue with you, point made. If at sometime I come across you in a wreck I wont hold it against you for not having your helmet on, and I'll even put the band aid on your head. Happy riding.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also do not while hunting............ and generally I ride the same when Im hunting as I do when Im just out riding, except I go around the big mud holes while hunting and just stick to the main path........ so someone with their infinite knowledge please tell me how thats any different

I wear a lid when I'm quadding but I have to admit that when I'm hunting I do not. I am usually wearing my lucky hunting hat lol. :beer::cool:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Although I do possess infinite knowledge, I've heard a person can't tell you anything.....

I also do not while hunting............ and generally I ride the same when Im hunting as I do when Im just out riding, except I go around the big mud holes while hunting and just stick to the main path........ so someone with their infinite knowledge please tell me how thats any different

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was standard issue to jump on the machines with no lid up until about 12 years ago. We had one family member that would always where one and the discussion rolled out into the comparison between quads and sleds. We all agreed that we would never sled without a helmet, and have never done so in the 30+ years of riding them. "So whats the difference"? she asked. Did not take long and we were all wearing helmets on quads. Now, we would not even think of riding without one, and after seeing some of the scarring on my helmet, I'm sure glad we made the change in mindset.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So true...........lol........ Im an advocate of children wearing them...... but I don't have kids and probably never will...........

Although I do possess infinite knowledge, I've heard a person can't tell you anything.....

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to let it be personal choice for adults, not kids, because if you dont people will not wear one just to prove a point. kids have to be protected, they dont have the decision skills that adults are supposed to have... and Dean, we both have rode with an individual that does NOT wear a helmet. and he wont.... ever. but that is his choice

I remember a day when motercyclists were complaining profusely about wearing helmits and motorist about seatbelts, but most of us have come to accept it and the younger ones don't even know the differnce. As times change, I become increasingly torn between the right to personal choice and the rights of everyone else concerned with those personal choices. There never does seem to be a completely right answer. In this case, I firmly believe that helmits prevent injuries which can only help to limit bad press. The better we are at keeping off the radar, the longer we can maintian some of the other riding privilages and freedoms that we have today. ...at least that's my take on it.

P.S. That individual is your guest, not mine, which is cool but I have to admit that it makes me a little uncomfortable. You'll notice that anyone I invite up has a helmit, the rest stay home or find someplace else to go.

cementfist27

Reaction score
Even though the point has been neaten to death, I have to agree in regards to wearing a helmet at all times. You may be able to control what you are doing and where you go 90% of them time, but unfortunately other riders around you and their antics are out of your hands. What's a little sweat on a hot day when you are already covered in muskeg and water that smells like it's been freshly squeezed from a construction site outhouse. Injury and even deaths have plagued the past time we all enjoy for many years, so if we want to convince the powers that be and all other nay-sayers, we need to be proactive and start leading by example!

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never once have I come across a situation where it would of helped. Never cut my head on a stick........... cmon.... thats pretty lame. And again when Im on the trail going from mud hole to mud hole my bike doesn't go these break neck speeds like the can am 800's and the other big bores. Not into speed, if I wanted to go fast Id go buy another dirt bike or a race quad of sorts but thats just not what Im into. Have also flipped a bike over backwards a couple of times and every time it did its going slow enough I could just bail off to the side. As for other idiots on the trails....... haven't seen another group of quaders out on the trail around here where we ride in like 2 years or more, dont even remember the last time we ran into another group out in the bush

Good friend of mine always went slow and only did muddin.......ran over somethin in the bog.....threw him off...quad landed on him.....he now is blind....says he deserved for not wearin a bucket........hmmmmmm.............buy a lottery ticket.......you a lucky dude.....cheers

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6 to 800 pounds of quad, sure to hurt and it seems ya get tangled in the mess if something happens, have flipped mine several times, usually when just takin it easy. i rarely ride without a lid, some may say i need one.

Last edited:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stongly believe it is a person choice as no one can force you to be smarter can they. In hind sight it would have saved me a few headaches if i had always worn one and now i do. The turning point for me was not wearing one doesn't prove how tough you are, it only proves you do not care for your riding partners as i for one do not like scraping up brains or performing first aid on a friends in the bush. So i should not put that on my riding buddies either.

Hard and fast rule with my crew now. Don't want to wear one fine, it's like signing a waiver we leave you where you fall. Makes people think a bit.

ps. i would never actually leave them but they would forfeit their machine for sure.

TB

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never once have I come across a situation where it would of helped. Never cut my head on a stick........... cmon.... thats pretty lame. And again when Im on the trail going from mud hole to mud hole my bike doesn't go these break neck speeds like the can am 800's and the other big bores. Not into speed, if I wanted to go fast Id go buy another dirt bike or a race quad of sorts but thats just not what Im into. Have also flipped a bike over backwards a couple of times and every time it did its going slow enough I could just bail off to the side. As for other idiots on the trails....... haven't seen another group of quaders out on the trail around here where we ride in like 2 years or more, dont even remember the last time we ran into another group out in the bush

That funny the worst wrecks i have ever had have been at less than 5 mph. I dont try stupid chit at speed either but things go sideways fast at low speeds too!!

Three broken ribs punctured lung at less than 5 mph. Knocked out cold at less than 5mph. Multiple rollovers at less than 5mph. Pinned under the machine with weight on my head at less than 5mph. You either ride on your lawn or it will happen eventually, the speed is not the factor the terrain is.

TB

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that people don't wear helmets because there is no law that requires a helmet to be worn (in Alberta at least). Until the government makes it a law I don't see what the problem is not wearing one, its a personal choice. I think that riding safely and slowly without a helmet is much safer than riding dangerously and fast with one. It boggles my mind that guys on here complain that their ATV can only get up to 80 km/h on the trail, or it only has X hp. Seriously, who needs to go that fast or needs all that power? Slow down and enjoy the scenery for once. When I go top speed is maybe 25 km/h on a good trail and if it looks unsafe I don't do it, it's that simple.

If you should wear a helmet on an ATV just because it is safer, then you should wear one when your driving your car too using that same logic. Heck, grocery shopping would probably be safer too if you had a helmet.

If helmets become manditory, so too should speed limits, hp restrictions, and manditory training.

Last edited:

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good friend of mine always went slow and only did muddin.......ran over somethin in the bog.....threw him off...quad landed on him.....he now is blind....says he deserved for not wearin a bucket........hmmmmmm.............buy a lottery ticket.......you a lucky dude.....cheers

The majority of serious wrecks that I have been in and witnessed have all happened at less that 10mph. On atv slow speed is more deadly than high speed.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is a lot of the guys that say you should wear helmets when riding because is safer, seem to have no problem drinking a six pack or more on the ride. Then jump in their trucks and pull their quad trailer (probably without working tail lights or safety chains) home at 120 km/h, passing up hill on a double solid line. But hey, you can't ride with me unless you have a helmet because its not safe. Give me a break.

Top Bottom