Why so many riders without helmets still?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is your reasoning....lol. just like the old guy out in the field....im not wearing an h2s monitor...been doing this for years! LMAO

anyhow...heres some food for thought. Krash and a bunch of us were out muddin. no ch!t..(he can vouch) while stopping to air up a tire...a freaking huge tree falls on the trail not even 30ft from us!!!!! it CAN happen, and DOES happen
ya still gotta go down a trail to get to the mud...unless you have a chopper to drop you off at the mud holes. others use the trails...unless these trails are made just for you. you cant control others.....unless your have super mind powers and control their actions. they can be ridin like mad men and hit you....unless you have an invisible force field around you....

so why is it you dont wear a helmet again?

i agree, but it is his own prsonnal choice. so far the odds have been favourable, hope they continue.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No helmet simply allows the flow of natural selection to take its course. We really don't need more laws to get in the way of this unfortunately rare phenomenon.

But seriously there is no excuse as to why not to wear one. I crashed when I was a teenager while luckily wearing a helmet and walked away with only a minor concussion from something that could have been much worse..... Oh and speed was not a factor in my crash, but flipping after being startled on a gravel pile did.

That said leave it to personal choice, especially with adults.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No helmet simply allows the flow of natural selection to take its course. We really don't need more laws to get in the way of this unfortunately rare phenomenon.

But seriously there is no excuse as to why not to wear one. I crashed when I was a teenager while luckily wearing a helmet and walked away with only a minor concussion from something that could have been much worse..... Oh and speed was not a factor in my crash, but flipping after being startled on a gravel pile did.

I used to think that way. ...as long as they're not riding with me, why should I give a rats azz? Well, between costs to the medical system and negative media coverage, I think we should care. I get especially peeved when I see children without helmits. I'd much prefer to see a helmit law for ATV's than the silly one they have for bicycles.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to think that way. ...as long as they're not riding with me, why should I give a rats azz? Well, between costs to the medical system and negative media coverage, I think we should care. I get especially peeved when I see children without helmits. I'd much prefer to see a helmit law for ATV's than the silly one they have for bicycles.

Kids are a different story as the excuse can be used of they don't know any better. However the adults.... I still don't care. I am very much tired of peoples constant blatant stupidity. If you can't figure out something as simple as this without a law telling you to do it.... You don't deserve to ride an atv and not get hurt.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i agree, but another law is just a waste, like gun registry, although it makes ya wonder if people even care about there kids, or there future, not much to look forward to in the vegitable ward.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well I would love to tell the non helmet wearers that if you are injured do to not wearing a helmet I will just leave your stupid sorry ass lay there but it is not in my nature so I will go out of way and help you...so maybe next time go out of way and help me ...put the friggin helmet on save us both grief

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

why is the bicycle helmet any sillier than having a quad helmet? generally they protect the same thing.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya im am still not sure why they have a helmet law on A bicycle and not an atv or side by side... with all the saftey gear available today to protect us, and the nice hd bumpers and skid plates to protect our rides, to stop us from having to un neccessarily replace fenders and damage from rocks and trees, and other such obsticles, I personal find it a good idea to wear a helmet as i have never seen a place were we can get replacement heads an other body parts... if you love it protect it...YOUR KIDS TOO!! body parts dont grow back, and usually are not replaceable. and if you want to lead by example....for the next generation.... i think its a good idea that has nothing but positive results..... IMO......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I would love to tell the non helmet wearers that if you are injured do to not wearing a helmet I will just leave your stupid sorry ass lay there but it is not in my nature so I will go out of way and help you...so maybe next time go out of way and help me ...put the friggin helmet on save us both grief

and thankfully most people share the same attitude, although you run into the occasional one that won't.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest problem there is no legal requirment for helmets.

There is a legal requirement for helmets on forest service roads in BC, and it's finally being enforced in the busier areas like Koocanusa, along with liability insurance requirements.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why is the bicycle helmet any sillier than having a quad helmet? generally they protect the same thing.

Good point, but unless riding in traffic, speed and vehicle wieght are not nearly as significant on a bicycle IMO. I just read that it is estimated that 90% of child bicycle deaths involve a motor vehicle, so educating our kids about bicycle safety would be more valuable than slapping a helmit on them and assuming they're invincible. Or perhaps I just miss the days where kids could be kids and take the odd bump or lump without someone else being liable for it. ...and if it hurt, we'd just remember that the next time we'd consider a repeat performance. Bicycle helmits certainly aren't a bad thing, but I'm thinking we're starting to overprotect our children a little bit - some good lessons come from the odd boo-boo.

Bottom line is that we got it backwards since we should have probably made helmits for children manditory on OHV's before bicycles.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never once have I come across a situation where it would of helped. Never cut my head on a stick........... cmon.... thats pretty lame. And again when Im on the trail going from mud hole to mud hole my bike doesn't go these break neck speeds like the can am 800's and the other big bores. Not into speed, if I wanted to go fast Id go buy another dirt bike or a race quad of sorts but thats just not what Im into. Have also flipped a bike over backwards a couple of times and every time it did its going slow enough I could just bail off to the side. As for other idiots on the trails....... haven't seen another group of quaders out on the trail around here where we ride in like 2 years or more, dont even remember the last time we ran into another group out in the bush

You mean to tell me in your 20+ years, not even a stick has struck you or cut your head where a helmet would protect you. I think thats why you should wear one, you dont need anymore damage, your using smoker logic sir.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am so glad that this thread is being browsed by many. I waited a couple days to start it so I would say what I had to say without showing the anger that I have towards this issue. I have lived through the slow speed crashes and witnessed many more, and I am proud to say all riders in my group wear helmets, the right size and done up properly. I want to ride for many years with my family and my group without having a major wreck. I totally agree with natural selection, but I am tired of our sport getting blackeyes and bad press.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never once have I come across a situation where it would of helped. Never cut my head on a stick........... cmon.... thats pretty lame. And again when Im on the trail going from mud hole to mud hole my bike doesn't go these break neck speeds like the can am 800's and the other big bores. Not into speed, if I wanted to go fast Id go buy another dirt bike or a race quad of sorts but thats just not what Im into. Have also flipped a bike over backwards a couple of times and every time it did its going slow enough I could just bail off to the side. As for other idiots on the trails....... haven't seen another group of quaders out on the trail around here where we ride in like 2 years or more, dont even remember the last time we ran into another group out in the bush

I hope your good luck continues for a long time, but I think in all your years of riding experience you will admit to a time or two when a helmet would have done its job and prevented a minor or major injury.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what next...... somebody gonna complain about wearing helmets in a convertible car........ what if your driving down a tight gravel road and a stick jumps out and cuts ya...... damn should of had a helmet for that one. Me wearing a helmet has no affect on you, they are way to hot in the summer when not going fast enough to provide necessary airflow so I don't wear it.... plain and simple, you wanna wear one and save the world have at er, it dont bother me thats for sure. I ride with a group of 20 or so different guys and only one of those guys wears a helmet....... other than that, the helmets only come out with the sleds or back when I had a dirtbike and race quad

Top Bottom