Why so many riders without helmets still?

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is a lot of the guys that say you should NOT wear helmets when riding, seem to have no problem drinking a six pack or more on the ride. Then jump in their trucks and pull their quad trailer (probably without working tail lights or safety chains) home at 120 km/h, passing up hill on a double solid line. But hey, you can't ride with me unless you have a helmet because its not safe. Give me a break.

Fixed your quote for you. I'm going to go with the odds that it is the NON-helmet wearing crowd that does the reckless driving thing:)

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about arguing this point with tmo162 - one little oopsie and he's going to be getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of his life. Kinda pissed that our taxes will be paying to take care of him when he's a vegetable though.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, it is all based on risk management. That involves assessing the likelihood or probability of having an accident, measured against the consequences or impact that accident would have. For quading, based on my riding style, I assess the probability of having an accident as low. I don't do jumps, catwalks, or drive very fast. In fact the last rally I went to in Sundre (where I wore a helmet) I actually got lapped by several riders, including one shirtless and helmetless guy driving a Yamaha Bruin of all things. I have been riding ATVs since the late 70s when they had three wheels, shifting up was down, and Hondas were green.

The point I am trying to make is helmets are not the end-all be-all in ATV safety. There are lot of other things overlooked in an ATV accident like speed, alcohol, poor judgement, bad decisions, or lack of training and experience. Wearing a helmet is your last defence. If you ignore all the other aspects a helmet is probably pointless. Its kind of like an avy beacon. Sure you can wear one, but does that mean you can ignore all the other factors that may cause an avalanche?

Sorry to say this, but if you have been in multiple ATV accidents at less than 5 mph, including one with multiple rollevers, I can only conclude that you are either a bad or inexperienced rider, or that you have no ability to understand or measure the impact of your riding decisions.

Last edited:

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy chit, sounds like you need a riding lesson or a atv course lol
That funny the worst wrecks i have ever had have been at less than 5 mph. I dont try stupid chit at speed either but things go sideways fast at low speeds too!!

Three broken ribs punctured lung at less than 5 mph. Knocked out cold at less than 5mph. Multiple rollovers at less than 5mph. Pinned under the machine with weight on my head at less than 5mph. You either ride on your lawn or it will happen eventually, the speed is not the factor the terrain is.

TB

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wear a helmet because I'm usually hammered and often make poor decisions.....

Bwaahahahahahahahaaaaa........................... Not!!!!

Nice Ian, real nice..... Thank you for your most infinite wisdom that you could post here, our sport and recreational community (whether it's this site, other site's, sledding, quadding, 4x4ing etc.)
Really need read this.
Also.......... not saying................ just saying............

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what next...... somebody gonna complain about wearing helmets in a convertible car........ what if your driving down a tight gravel road and a stick jumps out and cuts ya...... damn should of had a helmet for that one. Me wearing a helmet has no affect on you, they are way to hot in the summer when not going fast enough to provide necessary airflow so I don't wear it.... plain and simple, you wanna wear one and save the world have at er, it dont bother me thats for sure. I ride with a group of 20 or so different guys and only one of those guys wears a helmet....... other than that, the helmets only come out with the sleds or back when I had a dirtbike and race quad

Interesting post. You say Me wearing a helmet has no effect on you ,so I don't wear one.

Well if you crash and have a head injury from no helmet. So emergency responders come and get you in a ambulance. Stabilize you and intibate. Stars flies you To the the hospital. ER team is ready to put a halo on your head and put you on a breathing machine. They drill a hole in the top of your head to drain the fluid pushing on your brain. You spend a year in the hospital recovering and in rehab. Your family visits everyday.

Let's recap You say not wearing a helmet will not effect anyone.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Please refer to your avitar......

Sorry Doug but I've seen those who preach to me about drinking and riding drink and ride, I've also watched those who stand up on their high horse and preach all helmets all the time cruise around the campground, trails & bush at a lot more than 5km/h with a beer in one hand and 2 passengers yet ZERO helmets....

I wear a helmet when I ride sleds or quads but there are times I do not...when it takes me 3 hours to cross 2.5 miles of skeg and I spend more time on a winch then on the throttle fuggin rights I'm not wearing a helmet, hell a lifejacket would offer more purposefull protection in most cases...trail riding and rallys I wear a helmet

As for the drinking we've gone there before... I carry beer when I quad, I carry beer when I sled....At least I'm willing to admit it unlike many others who say "zero tollerance" then ask if I have an extra beer....
Bwaahahahahahahahaaaaa........................... Not!!!!

Nice Ian, real nice..... Thank you for your most infinite wisdom that you could post here, our sport and recreational community (whether it's this site, other site's, sledding, quadding, 4x4ing etc.)
Really need read this.
Also.......... not saying................ just saying............

Last edited:

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are options in terms of helmets. When I'm going flat out to keep up with experienced guys ....... I'd be the first to admit the "Master Chief" (Halo) helmut is a must along with armour as well.
If I'm just putsing along trails at low speed I see no reason why a half helmet shouldn't suffice. Ya hardly notice the half helmet and they're pretty cool on a hot day, Just sayin
imagesCA1NMU2A.jpg untitled.png fat_guy.jpg Just had to throw that last one in:alol2:.....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now ian, i seen you ride, u usually need a beer, your usually stuck as much as me. plus i have only seen a beer refused on the trail once when offered, and that was because of a guys personnal choice, besides the guys we ride with won't pull me out unless they get a reward . hehe.
icon10.gif

i hope everyone wears a helmet, your choice, you know the risks, me i don't like the consequences.

besides safety first.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that people don't wear helmets because there is no law that requires a helmet to be worn (in Alberta at least). Until the government makes it a law I don't see what the problem is not wearing one, its a personal choice. I think that riding safely and slowly without a helmet is much safer than riding dangerously and fast with one. It boggles my mind that guys on here complain that their ATV can only get up to 80 km/h on the trail, or it only has X hp. Seriously, who needs to go that fast or needs all that power? Slow down and enjoy the scenery for once. When I go top speed is maybe 25 km/h on a good trail and if it looks unsafe I don't do it, it's that simple.

If you should wear a helmet on an ATV just because it is safer, then you should wear one when your driving your car too using that same logic. Heck, grocery shopping would probably be safer too if you had a helmet.

If helmets become manditory, so too should speed limits, hp restrictions, and manditory training.

lol...WOW. dont even try and argue with this guy, he has it ALL figured out. wear one grocery shopping? LOL. he doesn't require a helmet cause of all the scar tissue and cartilage built up from his ma dropping him on his head for all those years.

do you even sled or quad??? hp restrictions????? speed limits???? sounds to me that you would be better off with a peddle bike going down the trail!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Plain and simple. Helmets serve a purpose. I don't always wear mine, but in those circumstances I'm plowing snow or dragging the driveway, or just plain utility stuff in the yard. As soon as I leave the yard it goes on. One can argue that you don't drive fast, I know these trails like the back of my hand, blah blah blah. Stuff happens. Once long ago when I was still in school, I went for a nice evening ride on my old bike across the fields that I knew like the back of my hand. Went over a hill that i had probably ridden over a hundred times and hit something right at the top. Wasn't there before. Probably doing around 40 mph when I hit it. I ended up about 100 feet down the hill
On my face, bike another 100 farther than I was. I was wearing a helmet and it did its initial job. After that I'm not sure how effective it was cause it was an open face and my face was what eventually stopped me. Had already jumped everything there was to jump that evening. That was just supposed to be a simple cruise, siting on the seat taking my time back to the house cause it was starting to get dark. Just goes to show anything can happen at anytime.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...WOW. dont even try and argue with this guy, he has it ALL figured out. wear one grocery shopping? LOL. he doesn't require a helmet cause of all the scar tissue and cartilage built up from his ma dropping him on his head for all those years.

do you even sled or quad??? hp restrictions????? speed limits???? sounds to me that you would be better off with a peddle bike going down the trail!

As a matter of fact I do sled and quad. I currently own three quads and one sled, all with valid registration and insurance. I have been using ATVs since the late 70s when they had three wheels, shifting up was down, and Hondas were green.

The point I am trying to make is as follows.

Does a helmet improve rider safety? Without any doubt yes. However, it is not the end-all be-all of rider safety and will not prevent 100% of injuries and accidents. Wearing a helmet is exactly like wearing avalanche beacons or seat belts. Sure you can wear one, but it doesn't mean you should ignore all the other factors that may cause an avalanche or accident.

In my opinion, I think consuming drugs and alcohol, even in moderation, while quading or sledding is just as, if not more, dangerous than not wearing a helmet.

Does wearing a helmet give you a license to consume alcohol or drugs while riding, drive at excessive speeds, or make other bad decisions while riding? Absolutely not.

If you have ever consumed alcohol and drugs while riding, exceeded the posted speed limit on any road, went helmet less while loading or unloading, or jaywalked in your life you are a hypocrate.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is a lot of the guys that say you should wear helmets when riding because is safer, seem to have no problem drinking a six pack or more on the ride. Then jump in their trucks and pull their quad trailer (probably without working tail lights or safety chains) home at 120 km/h, passing up hill on a double solid line. But hey, you can't ride with me unless you have a helmet because its not safe. Give me a break.

I do usually have a couple (literally a couple) of ritualistic pops on the trail, but it can easily get out of hand. ...so I've defiantely been considering leaving my beer at home from now on. In the meantime, I guess I should relax on my helmit policy until I have all my trailer lights working?

Last edited:

dirtygirll

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Helmet...always! My kids aren't even allowed to get onto their bicycles or quads/bikes without it being on and they know this. Its habit for them and mandatory. I would never let them not wear their seatbelt in the car!! As for me, I do it for several reasons, one is that I'm a role model for them and their parent and they need me and I'd like to think so do many people in my life. Two is that I'm plain crazy when I ride so I need it.
We live somewhere where quads ride down our road all the time and my seven yr old son will literally walk onto the road, put his hand up to stop a helmet less rider of any age (they are usually past 40yrs) and ask them why they aren't wearing one. I let him do this, he's doing it simply because he doesn't get why they don't. Maybe they will ride away thinking bout it and maybe not. If someone wants to ride with no helmet then who am I to say something but if they're riding with me, I won't shut up about it. I won't have you wrecking my ride!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your taxes......... hmmmmmmmm never had a gov't pay for any of my injuries, I have a health plan that runs circles around most, life insurance out the ass and a one of the most kick ass disability plans in the buisiness plus own 50% of a construction company in saskatchewan that pretty much runs without me so..... maybe don't spout your mouth off so much until u actually know what ur talking about...... my injuries get paid for by me, I ain't hurting nobody with what I do so why the fu*k do you care..... your taxes.....lol what a joke a typical thing for a calgary city clown to say........ I bet ur one of thoses ass clowns who rips his quad up the middle of the street in the city and then bitches that people should follow all the rules and stop being retards

I wouldn't worry about arguing this point with tmo162 - one little oopsie and he's going to be getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of his life. Kinda pissed that our taxes will be paying to take care of him when he's a vegetable though.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said who's crashing that bad........... not me, hell Im such a crazy bastard I might even go out for a rip today and NOT wear my helmet, better get emergency services on deck, sh*ts getting crazy....... high speed catwalks and jumping my quad all day, might even try a backflip or two maybe a superman................lol get real, do you get extra credit for saving the world, like in the form of a gold star on the fridge

Interesting post. You say Me wearing a helmet has no effect on you ,so I don't wear one.

Well if you crash and have a head injury from no helmet. So emergency responders come and get you in a ambulance. Stabilize you and intibate. Stars flies you To the the hospital. ER team is ready to put a halo on your head and put you on a breathing machine. They drill a hole in the top of your head to drain the fluid pushing on your brain. You spend a year in the hospital recovering and in rehab. Your family visits everyday.

Let's recap You say not wearing a helmet will not effect anyone.

dirtygirll

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said who's crashing that bad........... not me, hell Im such a crazy bastard I might even go out for a rip today and NOT wear my helmet, better get emergency services on deck, sh*ts getting crazy....... high speed catwalks and jumping my quad all day, might even try a backflip or two maybe a superman................lol get real, do you get extra credit for saving the world, like in the form of a gold star on the fridge

Maybe it's time for you to zip it cause now ur pretty much preaching not wearing one and your on a quad forum!
You go do that superman, hope it turns out well for you!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya anything can happen ecspecially at 40mph through a field............ my bike won't even do 40 mph, well maybe on a long straight gravel road going downhill right to the bar........... but then I'd realize hey this a quad not a truck..... what the fu*k am I doing on the road and get back on a trail...... story not relevant what so ever

Plain and simple. Helmets serve a purpose. I don't always wear mine, but in those circumstances I'm plowing snow or dragging the driveway, or just plain utility stuff in the yard. As soon as I leave the yard it goes on. One can argue that you don't drive fast, I know these trails like the back of my hand, blah blah blah. Stuff happens. Once long ago when I was still in school, I went for a nice evening ride on my old bike across the fields that I knew like the back of my hand. Went over a hill that i had probably ridden over a hundred times and hit something right at the top. Wasn't there before. Probably doing around 40 mph when I hit it. I ended up about 100 feet down the hill
On my face, bike another 100 farther than I was. I was wearing a helmet and it did its initial job. After that I'm not sure how effective it was cause it was an open face and my face was what eventually stopped me. Had already jumped everything there was to jump that evening. That was just supposed to be a simple cruise, siting on the seat taking my time back to the house cause it was starting to get dark. Just goes to show anything can happen at anytime.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that is more dangerous than quading without a helmet..... walking out onto a road when someone is riding their quad down it, to stop them.......hmmmmmmm maybe the guy doesn't see your boy one day and bam ran over just like that......... and you'll probably blame the guy on the quad cause he wasn't wearing a hemet........ mother of the year!!!!!!

Helmet...always! My kids aren't even allowed to get onto their bicycles or quads/bikes without it being on and they know this. Its habit for them and mandatory. I would never let them not wear their seatbelt in the car!! As for me, I do it for several reasons, one is that I'm a role model for them and their parent and they need me and I'd like to think so do many people in my life. Two is that I'm plain crazy when I ride so I need it.
We live somewhere where quads ride down our road all the time and my seven yr old son will literally walk onto the road, put his hand up to stop a helmet less rider of any age (they are usually past 40yrs) and ask them why they aren't wearing one. I let him do this, he's doing it simply because he doesn't get why they don't. Maybe they will ride away thinking bout it and maybe not. If someone wants to ride with no helmet then who am I to say something but if they're riding with me, I won't shut up about it. I won't have you wrecking my ride!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not preaching just defending my right to make my own choices Stalin, settle down on the communism

Maybe it's time for you to zip it cause now ur pretty much preaching not wearing one and your on a quad forum!
You go do that superman, hope it turns out well for you!

Top Bottom