What’s the best boot for mountain riding right now?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Red Wing boots

$400 ÷ by 10 years = $40 per year...

And your feet will thank you...

The trick is looking after them...

Jt

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Red Wing boots

$400 ÷ by 10 years = $40 per year...

And your feet will thank you...

The trick is looking after them...

Jt

That’s what I heard they were great boots. Bought a pair and what a horrible boot! Close to two painful months for break in. Now about 3 months in and they’re ok at best.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s what I heard they were great boots. Bought a pair and what a horrible boot! Close to two painful months for break in. Now about 3 months in and they’re ok at best.
Really? Everybody got different feet, 🤷. They are my go to for 20 years. Never really had break in issues. I can wear them for 14-16 hours and not get swap foot.

I put the tough toe on from new and they last until the souls wear though or separated and start falling off.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're not alone.... I can't do 'em either. not the shape for me.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Everybody got different feet, . They are my go to for 20 years. Never really had break in issues. I can wear them for 14-16 hours and not get swap foot.

I put the tough toe on from new and they last until the souls wear though or separated and start falling off.

These are slip on boots so maybe that’s the difference? But yah I just don’t like them. I’ll take Ariats any day.

Sledder_boarder

Reaction score
I bought the new skidoo brand boots. They have a removable liner like a boarding boot. Also watch out for the boa boots out there. The wire cutting into the tongue and part of the boot

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tall height Red Wing hunting/ hiking boots are the best...

$$$. Very expensive but well worth it...

Lifes simple that way

They come factory with running board grip tread

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lifes simple that way

I don’t know about that. I bought high end red wing slip on work boots. They are by far the worst boost I’ve ever had

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lifes simple that way

I wear nothing but red wing at work, only boots that hold up to the abuse our plant throws at them but I would not want to wear a pair of red wing boots mountain sledding lol. No ankle support from hard hits, and not padded enough to lessen vibration through the feet from running boards. I’ve always had good luck with klim boots, just retired my 12 year old klim boots for the new version of them in a BOA lace. Really like the new boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3783.jpeg
Just over 1 lb per boot. Got these for my son this year. Super comfortable and incredibly light. See how they hold up. Reasonable price also.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 277413Just over 1 lb per boot. Got these for my son this year. Super comfortable and incredibly light. See how they hold up. Reasonable price also.

Reminds me of the sorel boots we wore sledding in the mid 90’s. I sure don’t miss those floppy things. They were damn warm I’ll give them that but nothing as far as ankle support. I started wearing snowboard boots for sledding in the late 90’s and everyone made fun of me. Now most sledding boots are carbon copies of snowboard boots. Those ckx boots don’t look like they would be any good for mountain sledding but probably good for trail and ditch riding, some ice fishing etc.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 277413Just over 1 lb per boot. Got these for my son this year. Super comfortable and incredibly light. See how they hold up. Reasonable price also.

Are they breathable ? I tried a pair of snowboarding boots one season that weren’t breathable and I could pour at least half a cup of sweat out of each boot at the end of the day. Fkn gross. They went in the garbage after a half dozen rides.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they breathable ? I tried a pair of snowboarding boots one season that weren’t breathable and I could pour at least half a cup of sweat out of each boot at the end of the day. Fkn gross. They went in the garbage after a half dozen rides.

Must of been a pretty shitty pair of snowboard boots or you must sweat like Ron Jeremy trying to get a nut off lol. My current snowboard boots I have for boarding definitely breath decent, as good as a a boot meant for up to -40c can be anyway and every other pair I’ve had since the early 2000’s weren’t anything like that either. I did have a couple pairs of snowboard boots in the late 90’s though that had pretty terrible breathability, but they were all leather outside and super thick insoles…… boots have come a long way since then. My feet are always dry at the end of the day in my sledding klim boots as well, won’t sled in anything else

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the sorel boots we wore sledding in the mid 90’s. I sure don’t miss those floppy things. They were damn warm I’ll give them that but nothing as far as ankle support. I started wearing snowboard boots for sledding in the late 90’s and everyone made fun of me. Now most sledding boots are carbon copies of snowboard boots. Those ckx boots don’t look like they would be any good for mountain sledding but probably good for trail and ditch riding, some ice fishing etc.

I wear my klim boots ice fishing every time I go. I just have a pair of ice cleats that I can rotate from the bottom of the boot to where the laces are

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Helpful hint for those with wet boots in-side from artic gear adventure Don...

Either it works or your on-to a different approach...
20220307_175850.jpg

Boots and liners or kevlar / gortex / leather dry...

Dry dry dry...

Verity pack of different packs of socks in your test runs...

One is allowed too throw in different actives with in their test bed model...
20220307_175333.jpg

Dry boots set out-side too get too out-door temps in attempt (s) too prevent first thing in the morning """hot-foot""" syndrome...

If your fuzzy feet sweet right off the bat your pretty much toast for a full day'er out side...

(Cold ---> boots and socks <--- cold) is a great way too dawn on the gear out-side ( never in a heated up truck/ hotel/ house/ or work shop...)

Try too gear up out-side away from all heat sources...

Start off with the least heat buoyancy stocks in your test pack,,, you'll know with in minutes if this set-up is going too work for the """start""" of the day...

Warn feet is good,,, hot damp feet bad...

20231224_114806.jpg

Non stationary or mobile hooves will dictate size and selection of boots,,, socks,,, gold bond talcum power at ones choosing...

20230319_144901.jpg

High activity is a thinner set-up,,, non or partial active might be medium,,, station-ary feet like thick boot'ies

Thick boot'ies are so so for sledding for the majority of folks,,, all dependent on the person more so then out-door temps...

I like 12 too 16 hour out-door stints with afternoon naps biking/ hiking/ sledding back in the day/ ohv tracking,,, farm and out-door construction projects...
Screenshot_20221217-181144_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221216-175600_Photos.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

Negive temps with high speed wind in open-air environment is a great way too test what works

^^^ - 40 or 60 mpr winds allows me too function all day out side...

Im not allowed too enter any hot buildings when suit'ed up when checking the cattle pastures with in the county covering great distances...

Any-who...

Dry boots and veriaty pack socks that have been pre treated with gold bound powder (cold) before dawning on too prevent any sorce of heat build up of ones feet is a great way too run your test cycles...

Change out the socks or liners if one notices change threw the day...

Warm feet are happy feet,,, hot feet become cold feet...

Maybe your test runs need tweaking here and there,,, what works for one person might not for the next...

Its suppose too be challenging dawning on & off your boots and gear ,,, if others dont like it then they can take off on their own ride...

I ride alone,,, always have always will,,, its not that I don't like humans,,, I find it wize too not being around them when my out-door actives invole one person and one person only...

That way I can enjoy my day or night stints all by my self trying different things...

Alone-ness requires self preservation in the far north or along the edges of our equator in non- hospitable lands...

Our America's throws it at us...

20230513_142536.jpg

Your either game too find out what works or not at ones choosing...

Got too run,,, Kows are calling and there are lots of mild miles too cover this morning,,, thin socks and running shoes too start todays out door adventures,,, most likely switch over to the Gorx's or Military felts depending on what my feet tell me...

Our feet are the most important product of our be'ing,,, they are the most over-looked weapon on our body...

Words by

John F Kennedy

Great day all...

Get out there and kick mother- Nature's @zz !!!

Don

Last edited:

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a person still purchase those white military style winter boots Lem?

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must of been a pretty shitty pair of snowboard boots or you must sweat like Ron Jeremy trying to get a nut off lol. My current snowboard boots I have for boarding definitely breath decent, as good as a a boot meant for up to -40c can be anyway and every other pair I’ve had since the early 2000’s weren’t anything like that either. I did have a couple pairs of snowboard boots in the late 90’s though that had pretty terrible breathability, but they were all leather outside and super thick insoles…… boots have come a long way since then. My feet are always dry at the end of the day in my sledding klim boots as well, won’t sled in anything else

Well, I did research them as much as possible at the time and the reviews seemed solid. Didn’t work for me and I ordered Klim Adrenaline GTX and didn’t look back. My feet are just as dry at the end of the day as they were at the start.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There hard too come by with the war thing going on..
20231227_130954.jpg

If yha find a pair make sure they come with the breathable green floor mesh,,, 1/2 felt on top and double lin'ed felt liner...

They are some Toasty when there dry'ed out...
I sprayed silica tent compound on the outt'er shell for extra water proofing... a few coats

They were $20 buck used in the day ,,, darn pricey now days,,, a person can add thin rubber/ foam roll if they require ankle protection or a leather wrap between the felt and inn'er outt'er boot material...

Get the next size up if you find a pair,,, heel your foot into the boot too get them tight... they feel sloshy if there too loose ...

I cheat the hot foot syndrome by using Gold Bond talcum power,,, I set them out side too chill before putting them on... lol

A person can feel them warm up in seconds once there pull'ed on...

The only other boot that comes in close to them is the Irish. vvv
20231227_132634.jpg

Yha don't even want too know the price tag on them $$$

I look at it as coin spent ÷ by years use = warm and happy feet...

PS: One thing about the Irish,,, they offer fantastic ankle support,,, very comfortable on cemit & all terrain (s),,, great traction on sheep trails
20220713_140905.jpg

And warm so long as there dry and looked after,,, not as Toasty as the M boots,,, hunting and fishing shops have pull over outt'ers if a person is doing tree stand hunting...

I wore the last 2 pairs of red's for 14 years of sledding b.c.'s interior,,, great traction on the running boards ...

Nice thing about the hunting boots,,, a person can wear them everywhere/ any where

Cheers all

Lem

Sledder_boarder

Reaction score
I'm liking the skidoo brand boots. I chose them becaise I've never ever ever ever ever had cold feet in snowboarding boots in 29 years and they looked to be the closest thing.

Couple notes:

1. the Burton boa boots I have for boarding got extremely wet on the inside while snowmobiling. Snow was leaking past the tongue. The snow flap is not high enough . My foot was soaky soaked.

2. My old Burton boots that I just use to start sledding got completely ripped apart until NO sole was left on the boot. But my foot was warm and dry ALL day.

3. The klim boa boots wiring eats into the fabric on the tongue. Watch out for that. They are comfortable.

4. Skidoo brand boot does not come in half sizes

Cheers!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom