Valemount RCMP looking for....... Rules & Regs for Trailers/Loads

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do stock trucks have fog lights or driving lights? My understanding is most oem lights are driving lights. Amber or yellow are fog lights.

Read your owners manual. My 08 Duramax says they are fog lights. The color means nothing.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Personally I could give a fawk what the regulations say... in reality it is a pain in the azz trying to drive at night with oncoming traffic blinding you. I'm not a huge fan of the HID's but like Tee said if they are properly installed (aftermarket) or factory (as many new cars now have) they are legal and bearable, the wife's benz has them and they do greatly increase visibility... It's the Fog/Driving lights mounted on the grill/bush-bar and for the lifted trucks even under the bumper that are stupid bright and pointed directly into the eye level of oncoming traffic that pizz me off.... If they are set with the high beams than that's fine because most will dim them when passing oncoming traffic, others seem to not give a fawk...

It's a matter of respect and many have none...

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me on Sunday after leaving Chappell... Cop flew by rockin' lights, sirens, and more lights... including leaving his/her high beams on while passing... I'll make sure to bring that up if I'm ever stopped.

Two completely different scenerios. In an emergency situation like you describe here why would you think the lights the cop had on were any kind of problem?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my two cents, I run a dodge 3500 with fog lights, I had them enabled so they come on with my high beam lights and turn off when I go to low beam. I had the dealer do this, for people with programers they can do this themselves. As far as I know this is legal, I have some DOT paperwork stating this that a friend looked up online, I will get it and post a copy on here. You are allowed to have one extra set of lights that turn on and off with your high beems, they have to be DOT approved and be a certain height from the road. I'll get the info for ya all tommorow.

The issue isn't whether they turn on or off with high or low beams. The law says, FOG lights are not driving lights. Fog lights are
to be used only in place of headlights when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlight disadvantageous.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hid "fog lites"(according to the 2011 owner's manual) come on with hi or low beam, so what does that mean?? My H&S tuner had that as an option when I programmed the tuner into my 2011 dodge :)

FOG lights are not driving lights. Fog lights are
to be used only in place of headlights when
atmospheric conditions make the use of headlight
disadvantageous.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I could give a fawk what the regulations say... in reality it is a pain in the azz trying to drive at night with oncoming traffic blinding you. I'm not a huge fan of the HID's but like Tee said if they are properly installed (aftermarket) or factory (as many new cars now have) they are legal and bearable, the wife's benz has them and they do greatly increase visibility... It's the Fog/Driving lights mounted on the grill/bush-bar and for the lifted trucks even under the bumper that are stupid bright and pointed directly into the eye level of oncoming traffic that pizz me off.... If they are set with the high beams than that's fine because most will dim them when passing oncoming traffic, others seem to not give a fawk...

It's a matter of respect and many have none...
I had a game of headlight chicken the other night heading home....could see these crazy bright lights coming from around the corner a few miles ahead of me, so I left my hi beams in "all 4" mode and snapped on my Sirius LED driving lights. I finally had enough and was going to stand my ground....neither of us flinched, he was running one of those rigid style LED light bar in front....I saw a row of blue dots for about 2 hrs after that. those things are retarded bright, and I must have them.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[h=4][] Driving lamps[/h]
High beam headlamps augmented by auxiliary driving lamps

"Driving lamp" is a term deriving from the early days of nighttime driving, when it was relatively rare to encounter an opposing vehicle. Only on those occasions when opposing drivers passed each other would the dipped or "passing" beam be used. The full beam was therefore known as the "driving beam", and this terminology is still found in international ECE Regulations, which do not distinguish between a vehicle's primary (mandatory) and auxiliary (optional) upper/driving beam lamps.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] The "driving beam" term has been supplanted in North American regulations by the functionally descriptive term "auxiliary high-beam lamp".[SUP][8][/SUP] They are most notably fitted on cars, and are occasionally fitted to production vehicles derived from or imitating such cars. They are common in countries with large stretches of unlit roads, or in regions such as the where the period of daylight is short during winter. Many countries regulate the installation and use of driving lamps. For example, in Russia each vehicle may have no more than three pairs of lights including the original-equipment items, and in Paraguay, auxiliary driving lamps must be off and covered with opaque material when the vehicle is circulating in urban areas.

Front fog lamps

A pair of yellow fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] They may be either white or . They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to , , or . As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.
Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the ), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[SUP][13][/SUP]
The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily , while any auxiliary lamp that makes light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.

On the commercial side of things the fog/driving lights have to be wired into the high beam for BC. They also can not be higher than your headlights. They also have to be DOT compliant. If your are running commercial tags on your vehicle you need to abide by the regs for provinces travelled. I believe that this BS is a cash cow on the grounds that nobody fights these tickets in court simply for the reason of not knowing the private/commercial sides of the law.

Don't forget, ANYONE can add their 2 cents to almost any Wikipedia topic.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two completely different scenerios. In an emergency situation like you describe here why would you think the lights the cop had on were any kind of problem?

Emergency doesn't mean "above the law". If I have to dim my lights and have them aimed correctly, the RC's should be doing the same. It's not like he/she was going exponentially faster than I was. I hate hypocrisy and loopholes.

Sent from my eYefone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if i understand correctly i should be ok to haul 2 mountain sleds on my f150 as long as i have them tied down properly, 2 points of contact each

I beleive "2 points of contact each" referes to 2 points for the front and 2 points for the back. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the rule is 4 seperate straps, each with a LABELLED capacity equal to 1/3 the weight of the snomobile. ...I recall seeing a post on this last year.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FOG lights are not driving lights. Fog lights are to be used only in place of headlights when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlight disadvantageous. Violation is a $109.00 fine.

Bit of a loose statement one could argue, is there a written breakdown of an Atmospheric Condition? Mine may vary from the other guy’s...... So next beware of sledding with the hi beams on.... and I mean the ones on the sled :p....... mmm the cat crash video posted, maybe the guy was looking down to turn the hi beams off because the Atmospheric Conditions changed when he dropped below the fog line...... So many rules now.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FOG lights are not driving lights. Fog lights are to be used only in place of headlights when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlight disadvantageous. Violation is a $109.00 fine.

Bit of a loose statement one could argue, ........

I think the cops like it a bit vague, then if the driver is an ass, they can ticket, if he's polite, they can give a warning.

outlawfish

Reaction score
Re: Valemount RCMP looking for.......

someone may have spoke to this as I have not gone through the whole thread but, the factory driving lights on Ford or Dodge trucks that are in the bumpers are only on while the headlights are on low beam? So ...........

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

outlaw fish

why do you think it works like that. ever tried driving in a snowstorm with the high beams on ,

Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

someone may have spoke to this as I have not gone through the whole thread but, the factory driving lights on Ford or Dodge trucks that are in the bumpers are only on while the headlights are on low beam? So ...........

Ford says they are FOG lights.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you don't have to read through the whole thread, only the posted bulletin to know that in BC you are not permitted to use them unless atmospheric conditions are such that using your low beam headlights are disadvantageous. it also states that "driving lights" only come on with high beams.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

someone may have spoke to this as I have not gone through the whole thread but, the factory FOG lights on Ford or Dodge trucks that are in the bumpers are only on while the headlights are on low beam? So ...........

Fixed it for ya.

Chunk

Reaction score

Was just reading an article on drive smart bc driving laws website. Supposedly the law reads that you are allowed to run just fog lights if atmospheric conditions warrant, and you are allowed to run fog lights with normal lights any time you choose.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was just reading an article on drive smart bc driving laws website. Supposedly the law reads that you are allowed to run just fog lights if atmospheric conditions warrant, and you are allowed to run fog lights with normal lights any time you choose.
they quoted the regulation in that article, in the references ( Fog Lamps - Division 4.11 MVAR ) link at the bottom it doesn't specifically say that in the wording. the Valemount RCMP says it isn't so, I'm not sure telling them the DriveSafe BC website said you could will get you out of a $119 ticket. but feel free to try

(1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.
(2) Each fog lamp must be
(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and
(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.
(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.
(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me on Sunday after leaving Chappell... Cop flew by rockin' lights, sirens, and more lights... including leaving his/her high beams on while passing... I'll make sure to bring that up if I'm ever stopped.

Did you pull over to the right and stop when said cop car passed? If you did, you could have just closed your eyes.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running HID's for almost 6 years now. On the original trip I was behind a buddy and he cussed me out for not passing him as the lights were shining higher than normal headlights. Made an adjustment from where they were using the stock bulbs and complaints went away. Seems that most of the 'blinding' problems are due to incorrect headlight aiming. If you run HID's you need to re-aim the headlight or driving lights lower. If anyone running HID's would make this adjustment there would be alot less attention paid to the headlight issues the RCMP and other drivers (that are doing the complaining) would likely pay less attention to them.

x2

I run 3K HID Fog lights and only on when it's snowing or raining hard or foggy. I also keep them aimed low, along with my headlights, and dim them when I pass slower vehicles.

Another thing I do is run air bags on my truck to keep the back end from sagging too far when I have a load on. This is the biggest problem I see out there. For some reason almost all the fullsize trucks-especially lifted ones, seem like you can't even put a jerry can in the back without them sagging two inches-my truck included!! This goes for cars and vans or anything pulling trailers that don't have adjustable rear suspension! If more people would think about sht like that before they take off down the road, it would piss alot less people off!!

Top Bottom