Regs for pulling trailer

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if the regulations have changed in the last while when pulling a trailer down the highway??
We just went on a couple road trips around Alberta and BC and floored me how many people drive with the wrong set up. I would bet half of the tow vehicles have no proper side mirrors. Then you have the mid sized SUV or mini pickup truck pulling a 30 ft trailer. Not sure how they can steer with the front end pointing up. Then when you do have a chance to pass, they give you a dirty look cause they can't see the mile long line up behind their underpowered tow vehicle.
If the feds had a mandatory trailer check (like they do with our boats), they'd make a killing writing out tickets. Or am I wrong and there are no rules for this kind of driving?

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are definately rules. Just not enforced very much. With all the "new campers" out there last couple summers they just hook on and go. I have also seen all kinds of setups. Pretty scary

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A family friend of ours traded in her car because she wanted something bigger to pull her horse trailer around. The dealer knew exactly what she wanted to do with it, and still sold her a PT cruiser. . . some people are clueless, and some dealers have no morals.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seemed to be more prevalent this summer over most. We camp a lot and some of the setups we saw scared the heck out of me.....not for me personally so much (I avoid them at all costs), but for the people towing. I feared for the children in these vehicles. Setups with noses to the sky, tails to the ground, or the setup looks OK, but you know they are way over on capacity or tongue weight. They are driving slow because they are shitting their pants the whole drive. At some point these setups are going to be in an emergency braking situation, and I just don't want to see the outcome of that.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We stopped a couple from Quebec in Jasper a couple years ago, they backed up too far when they put the tongue on the ball and couldn't get it to latch, they figured they would just just leave it unlatched and head out on their way. I can't speak French, and their English was poor, but we got the message across and got the hitch latched.

There's lot of people out there that don't have a clue about trailers, what scariest is the ones that have no functional lights on the trailer, because I also assume the trailer brakes aren't working either as the trailer probably wasn't plugged in.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be mandatory to take a trailering course, before towing anything.
I had to, to be able tow a trailer on a oil field site, even tho I hold a class 1 license, I thought it was a waste of time.
In the end, I thought the course was very Informative, and helpful to those with no experience.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hook up rental trailers on a daily base 50 percent have no idea what a breakaway is and more than that who buy a new trailer have no idea how to use a brake controller scary shyt on the road

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_0985.jpg

Seen this on the ferry south of revy. He had to drive atleast 50km like this.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you tell them or fix the problem yourself?

Yes we told him his trailer was not on the ball. I had one come unhooked from the ball one time. safety chains held but that was one hell of a ride. (Wore out bulldog hitch)

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if cops are just lazy or for safety don't want to stop the no Trailer mirror morons, see it every day 8-8.5 ft wide trailer and a jeep or small suv pulling it, not sure how they even feel remotely comfortable driving not being able to see.

Top Bottom