Using a different oil...?

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Went to ride with my buddy today. In the parking lot he realized he didn't have any oil. He rides an 08 XP and uses semi-synthetic. I ride a 11 etec and run the full synthetic. He put some of my oil in his sled and it seized before it was even off the back of the truck. Could using that oil have caused it to seize like that?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP semi synthetic is a blend of mineral oil and full synthetic. No problem mixing the two. Sorry for your bad luck though.:(

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to ride with my buddy today. In the parking lot he realized he didn't have any oil. He rides an 08 XP and uses semi-synthetic. I ride a 11 etec and run the full synthetic. He put some of my oil in his sled and it seized before it was even off the back of the truck. Could using that oil have caused it to seize like that?

doubt it... i run BRP full syn in mine, been running like that now for 4 seasons, 3 on a BB

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not a chance, as stated the 2 are completely compatable...........The question is........if your buddy plans a trip without the consideration of oil, how long was it run without, before the trip ???????????????

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Not a chance, as stated the 2 are completely compatable...........The question is........if your buddy plans a trip without the consideration of oil, how long was it run without, before the trip ???????????????

Well he had 1/3 of a tank of oil left from the previous ride. He left his jug of oil in my garage and just put enough of mine in to get it to 1/2 tank. I don't think he's ever run it out, but who knows.
I never let mine get that low, I think it's a gamble for sure.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in a word never.... all oil has to be mixable..... don't care what anyone says

no different than 5w30 lets say.... ur on a trip and have petro oil in it....

u stop at shell and need to buy oil to filler her up.... they mix otherwise the law suits would be big... cause now ur engine is seized from the mixing....

i have run mineral and put in sythin.... both ways many times....

never had a problem..... ive even used polaris ves oil.....

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well he had 1/3 of a tank of oil left from the previous ride. He left his jug of oil in my garage and just put enough of mine in to get it to 1/2 tank. I don't think he's ever run it out, but who knows.
I never let mine get that low, I think it's a gamble for sure.

i always fill mine to the top AFTER every ride, any room in trhe tank, is room for condensation to form, water is heavier than oil.....you know the rest

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always fill mine to the top AFTER every ride, any room in trhe tank, is room for condensation to form, water is heavier than oil.....you know the rest

me too,,, right to the top every time,,, these sleds sweat a lot especialy in spring or from calgary to golden when the sled is frozen in calgary and plus 5 in golden you can see ice on the outside of the tank just picture the inside if it wasnt full....

,, water will form very quick in oil and gas tank especialy when half full...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, did he let the sled warm up good before he drove it off the truck. No kind of oil can stop a cold seiz!

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"in a word never.... all oil has to be mixable..... don't care what anyone says"

All oils are not mixable...and since you dont care what anyone says...I wont explain...Cheers!

Top Bottom