Used mountain sleds

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be good to ride the polaris and skidoo if you can as well. I don't like riding the polaris. It doesn't fit me right but the skidoo does. Opposite for others. I agree with the 2012's being a good year for BRP. At least mine has been. Even my 2012 can am has been great.
fit you? You fell off and the sled went 200 yards without you on it. Must have had a mind of its own and bucked you off.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it hasn't taken long in the current buyers market to find a couple good options, have two guys on the hook both $6000 going to pull trigger this weekend.

1. 2012 Summit sp 163 etec w can, bag, fuel caddy, 2900km.
2. 2014 Rmk pro 163 bone stock other than a fuel rack 2700km.

Not sure which way to go, kind of leaning summit.
Go with the etec and save some repair bills. The rmk pro is a great sled but ski doo has the better motor.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a rev. They are mich cheaper and throw a few mods at it to make it a bit nicer to ride.

If he likes sledding and learns how to handle that then next year upgrade to an XM or an axys. The Rev is a bit tougher, heavier, and will require more effort but it will create a better rider and help develop skills (and an appreciation for newer machines) as well as help him in choosing better lines, better strategy.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From a brief search on the net it sounds like the t motion kit for 370 bucks a good upgrade for the xp to make it a better handling sled.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a $5000-$6000 sled for my 19 year old son to get a start at mountain riding. I haven't really been keeping up to date on reliability issues on 3 to 5 year old sleds.
Looks like I could get a 1500-2500 km 2013-2014 rmk pro or a 2011-2013 summit for the same money, I know have to go 13 or newer on rmks for better motor, not sure on summits, I know the single ring motors were no good?
Looking for recommendations / opinions on best for reliability. I ride a 15 T3.

We also have a couple higher mile (under 2,000) M8000 demos at $7,499 I know that's a little higher than you want to go, but they do come with full warranty. Just some food for thought!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the other way, for a new rider, a xp is a good thing as it's stable and harder to flop over yes

Once he gets some skills ect, then get him on a xm or pro

Worst thing you can do is try to get a new rider to dangle off the get go

They get stuck every 20 feet, get tired and are done for the day right away

sent while drinking tea's

X2, noobs need stability not agility. 2 buddys bought 2014 cats for first sleds, they couldn't even get out of parking lot without falling over...

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez I had no idea that the cats were so dang tippy. You make it sound like riding them for a newby is like four year old learning to ride a bike. Seems to me that if one takes a day or two to become familiar with the machine and then tries a bit of POW you would be fine.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But for a newbie to buy a dangle sled and try to dangle out of the gate

I've seen lots, where stuck every 20 feet, so tired they actually start to shut down persay

In the backcountry is no place to shut down

sent while drinking tea's

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, noobs need stability not agility. 2 buddys bought 2014 cats for first sleds, they couldn't even get out of parking lot without falling over...

They must be the most un athletic couch potato video game nerds or the biggest juice monkey gym rats ever, cats are not that tippy, and very stable and easy to learn on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From a brief search on the net it sounds like the t motion kit for 370 bucks a good upgrade for the xp to make it a better handling sled.

If you haven't already bought a sled I have a 2012 Summit X 163 that already has t motion in it that I would sell.

Degenstein19

Reaction score
I had a 2012 cat and switched to a 2016 summit which I found easier to throw around and found easier to learn on. Doesn't mean I don't like cat cause I do. They are a very reliable machine. But if I did it again I would buy a doo off the bat!

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I had a 2012 cat and switched to a 2016 summit which I found easier to throw around and found easier to learn on. Doesn't mean I don't like cat cause I do. They are a very reliable machine. But if I did it again I would buy a doo off the bat!

The 2012 cats had a wide 40" stance, that's why the 12' is harder to throw around. 2013 they went to a 38" stance and that made a big difference supposedly, but now the standard is 36" from 2016 and newer.

I rode a 43" stance on my snopro and I had a hell of a time throwing it around and the spindles were like anchors. Rode a 09' m8 with a 38" stance and it was 10 times easier. Hardly any effort to roll it over. Can't imagine what a 36" stance is like.

Since then I have made my sled a 37" stance so hopefully it makes my sled a happy medium.

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im thinking about selling my 08 summit 146" with 872 big bore brand new engine about 5 km on it so far looking to get $6000 many aftermarket goodies on it could easily part it out and make more....
comes with two clutches one set up for bc one set up for flat land riding
skinz air frames running boards (lots of grip and no snow can hang up in them)
fairly new track upgraded to 2.5 (camo extreme)(geared down to accomidate slightly heavier track told to do so by dynamo joe)
dynamo joe clutch kit
pod air filter so your never plugging the air off in the deep pow
(jetted up for the pods cause they suck more air)
grip and rip braces upper and lower

this sled rips should be around 190 hp with the new updated pistons

plastics show some wear but sled is all straight and runs amazing only reason im thinking about selling is i pick up my new 850 at the end of the week

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually neither, what a helpful comment.

well to be fair, if they did that poorly on a 14 Cat, his assumptions must be fairly accurate. We've all ridden the 14 Cats and Poo and Doo's, Sounds like it has more to do with your buddies than the snowmobile.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well to be fair, if they did that poorly on a 14 Cat, his assumptions must be fairly accurate. We've all ridden the 14 Cats and Poo and Doo's, Sounds like it has more to do with your buddies than the snowmobile.

I put one of them on my m7 and he had no issues. I rode the 14 and it was waaaay more sensitive to body movements. So was it the sled ??? From my experience yes.

toyman2k

Reaction score
Website
www.heisertoyota.com
still a pretty new rider in the mtns and riding the Cats and learning on the cats was fine yet then hopping onto a 13 Poo was like a dream machine! All rentals. No problems on the cat just way better on the poo and now hopping onto the friends 15 doo its WAY harder to toss around and I settled on a used 14 Poo 155 track with 300 miles 2 years ago for 9,000. and I see 2014 Pros used all over with under 2000 miles for 6-7,000. here in CO. I haven't tried the longer tracks seeing I haven't mastered my 155. just a noobs 2 cents :)

LSPC187

Reaction score
I started out on an m chassis and i still swear they are one of the best handling machines there is. (But it is preference) for a newbie and m chassis i think they are still old school not the kind of step on the running board and have the opposite ski come off the ground kind of deal. Definately a proven sled. And if you get 2010+ you still get the big horse powa lol. I ride a 2014 m8 now and i say it handles like an old m series.... But better. Anyways in my opinion, for reliability, handling, power and stability with still handleing like a dream... Get a cat!

Top Bottom