Sled choice ?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this will probably turn sideways, but I want to hear from guys the have owned and rode all of the following

850 summit 165/175
850 axys 163/174
800 maxcat 165

which do you perfer and why? I’ve had a 18 & 20 cat. Thought they were great except the monorail I felt wasn’t going to standup.
Rode my buddies 850 poo. Seemed decent

I’m looking for a 2nd sled / my son to ride and leaning towards a 850 summit just cause I’ve never rode one. Had a 15 xm 174 and loved that sled

oh and yeah I still have a Yamaha 4 stroke as a primary sled. lol. I perfer Yamaha but they have nothing of interest right now.

If your a die hard brand loyal sled head you probably don’t need to be part of this conversation.

Last edited:

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How old is your son? Height and weight? Reason I ask is maybe he would be better off on a 600 or a 155?

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those sleds. Cat watch out for clutch cracking, the newer doos and poos have been pretty good for reliability. I would focus more on what model you are getting for shocks, track, ect. If you’ll both be riding I would find something with good adjustable shocks to suit riding preferences

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are asking the imposable question, They are all 3 great sleds, There are a bunch of reasons why we ride the sled we ride ( Dealer , brand preference , one sled just feels better than the other) and the only way you can choose the best sled is to ride them all for extended periods, even then one sled will feel better in certain conditions then when conditions change another one will feel better
I - like everyone here - am a little biased in what i ride, an I am biased because the sled I ride works for me.
I ride a 175 turbo doo love the sled, would buy another, I also like the Polaris but for me it is a bit more temperamental ( That's about the best word I can describe it as) in its handling and am looking forward to riding the matrix turbo that a buddy bought It might change my my brand! The alphas I got to ride worked great they just didn't feel as good to me.
Some people will agree with me some won't

Good luck in finding your new sled!!!

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He’s 18. I just sold the 600 pro rmk he grew up on. My daughter (15) is going to be running a 16 m6000 153.
ECC55D03-2622-4864-8EA1-785DEAEB40AD.jpeg

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are asking the imposable question, They are all 3 great sleds, There are a bunch of reasons why we ride the sled we ride ( Dealer , brand preference , one sled just feels better than the other) and the only way you can choose the best sled is to ride them all for extended periods, even then one sled will feel better in certain conditions then when conditions change another one will feel better
I - like everyone here - am a little biased in what i ride, an I am biased because the sled I ride works for me.
I ride a 175 turbo doo love the sled, would buy another, I also like the Polaris but for me it is a bit more temperamental ( That's about the best word I can describe it as) in its handling and am looking forward to riding the matrix turbo that a buddy bought It might change my my brand! The alphas I got to ride worked great they just didn't feel as good to me.
Some people will agree with me some won't

Good luck in finding your new sled!!!
Yeah I know it’s a impossible question but curious on why guys ride purely from a ride perspective. We ride fernie mostly so it’s tight trees is where we find ourselves most days. The group I ride with has had all these sleds listed.
I like the doos fit and finish.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know it’s a impossible question but curious on why guys ride purely from a ride perspective. We ride fernie mostly so it’s tight trees is where we find ourselves most days. The group I ride with has had all these sleds listed.
I like the doos fit and finish.
I find the doo to be a little more forgiving in its ride and at the end of the day I'm not as worn out, The polaris and cat tires me out more But guys with cats and polaris say the same about doo:rolleyes:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying a shorter one. Back in the day 136 was the only option. Lol.
I have a 146 and its awesome, im getting a 163-5 for the deep days. But im 40, fu*kin old man now.

If i was 18 i wouldnt be caught dead on anything longer than a 154.

He'll be wanting to do re-entry's and bowties ext.

Definitely stay away from a 175 for the young fella!

Last edited by a moderator:

jereber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Doos and now my Lynx, grew up on cat. I will honestly agree with lilduke on this one. Throughout all my years I'm 31 154" 153" is the way to go as an overall length as he'll have more fun and he'll be able to show off more. 850 doo 154, you can't beat fit/finish and reliability.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 146 and its awesome, im getting a 163-5 for the deep days. But im 40, fuckin old man now.

If i was 18 i wouldnt be caught dead on anything longer than a 154.

He'll be wanting to do re-entry's and bowties ext.

Definitely stay away from a 175 for the young fella!
I partly agree with you but we have a few 19-25 yo guys in our group that went from shorter to longer and are way happier now, They didn't go to the 175 cus that's an old guy sled
And you being old at 40 your just a pup yet! LOL

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas …what mileage on a 850 Doo where you would need to do top end? My doo buddy said steer clear of the 17-18. Only 19 up

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin just got into the sport. He’s 140lbs and 5’2” and 25 when started. I got him on a 175 for his first sled. He went with a 2015 summit. Etec is crazy reliable and cheap to operate. So this means he can put more money into riding than maintenance. As for track length, he didn’t like it at first… now he just laughs at all the stuck short track ppl on the hills.

jereber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas …what mileage on a 850 Doo where you would need to do top end? My doo buddy said steer clear of the 17-18. Only 19 up
2019 and up is smart. I wouldn't worry about top end till like 6000kms. Turbos are running over 5000kms no issues

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
17 is poor 18 better 19 and up best, But I also put 8200k on my 18 with no problems, just did a clutch kit and belt vent kit

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Shawn, In the last 8 years I have rode a 2013 Pro 163 followed by a 2015 M8 162 and now am on a 2020 Doo 850 175.

The Polaris and Cat were very similar in style and easy to adapt to. Polaris was more precise for sure but the Cat was easier to flip around the way I had it set up. More power from the kitty too.

The Doo is something I never thought I would be riding but I pulled the trigger last year and went with the 175 mainly because the sled checked a lot of the boxes I wanted including X package and SHOT. I will say that this is the best sled I have ever owned hands down. It just seems to do everything really well and the 175 really gets massive traction as well as helps it track very straight on side hills. SHOT is unreal as well and lends to being much less tired at the end of every day in my opinion. I have had no issues with it at all, the thing just runs. I put a GGB quiet can on along with some storage items and that is it.

If you want to try one give me a call and we can go riding so you can try it out.

E9717DA4-9AFD-47AC-84D7-4D4F69CBF859.jpg

smc

Reaction score
if you mostly ride trees i would say you’d be better off on a polaris. skidoos are for sure more fun though for the average rider. just buy whatever you get a better deal on. i agree with others saying get a 154-155 track length

H-D

Reaction score
Hey Shawn, In the last 8 years I have rode a 2013 Pro 163 followed by a 2015 M8 162 and now am on a 2020 Doo 850 175.

The Polaris and Cat were very similar in style and easy to adapt to. Polaris was more precise for sure but the Cat was easier to flip around the way I had it set up. More power from the kitty too.

The Doo is something I never thought I would be riding but I pulled the trigger last year and went with the 175 mainly because the sled checked a lot of the boxes I wanted including X package and SHOT. I will say that this is the best sled I have ever owned hands down. It just seems to do everything really well and the 175 really gets massive traction as well as helps it track very straight on side hills. SHOT is unreal as well and lends to being much less tired at the end of every day in my opinion. I have had no issues with it at all, the thing just runs. I put a GGB quiet can on along with some storage items and that is it.

If you want to try one give me a call and we can go riding so you can try it out.

View attachment 247335
How do you like the GGB Quiet can?

Top Bottom