Tires, again.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need new tires for my truck again. I have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R18 for quite some time. I like the tread wear, not much noise on the hwy, decent off road traction and the key, a 4080 pound load rating. However Kal Tire has been slowly jacking the price up, and now a set of 4 is just over $1900. Not really interested in that.

So my options:

Buy in US. I am going to Victoria in May, and could swing through Washington Idaho and Montana on the way home. Initially looks very good @ $250 a tire, but after state taxes, currency conversion, duty and GST its going to be about $1500, plus a bit of dick around at the border.

Sorat Wheels in North Van. I have dealt with them before and have been impressed. They will sell and install a set of 295/70R18 Toyo ATII (Same tire basically) for $1500 including GST/PST (BC) but I have to make a slight detour to North Van on my way to Victoria and then sit around for an hour while I get my tires thrown on.

Or, is there somewhere in the Edmonton area that I can get a fair price on either of these tires?

Thoughts?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy out of the states again. Hate losing the free balancing and rotations you get from Kal Tire/Fountain Tire/Costco etc. Over the life of the tire these costs add up.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about Trucks Plus Auto they have 2 locations in Edmonton and one in West kelowna. I just bought 4 rims there they have excellent prices on tires and wheels.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that Fastech is a TireRack dealer, not sure what the prices are for those tires on the web though.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need new tires for my truck again. I have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R18 for quite some time. I like the tread wear, not much noise on the hwy, decent off road traction and the key, a 4080 pound load rating. However Kal Tire has been slowly jacking the price up, and now a set of 4 is just over $1900. Not really interested in that.

So my options:

Buy in US. I am going to Victoria in May, and could swing through Washington Idaho and Montana on the way home. Initially looks very good @ $250 a tire, but after state taxes, currency conversion, duty and GST its going to be about $1500, plus a bit of dick around at the border.

Sorat Wheels in North Van. I have dealt with them before and have been impressed. They will sell and install a set of 295/70R18 Toyo ATII (Same tire basically) for $1500 including GST/PST (BC) but I have to make a slight detour to North Van on my way to Victoria and then sit around for an hour while I get my tires thrown on.

Or, is there somewhere in the Edmonton area that I can get a fair price on either of these tires?

Thoughts?

these guys are out of surrey b.c.

The prices online i dont think are what you can get, i think you can get better because my brother in law swears buy these guys for his 325/50r22s for his truck.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Just checked all 4 big warehouses in the city, and only one set of the nitto grapplers in that size available..... Everything else on order.... Prices have gone up over previous year
we'd be about $1750.00 installed on the set of 4 Nitto Terra Grapplers... Slim pickings in that size right now.....

Last edited:

Daine

Reaction score
X2 for KX Wheels. KX is actually out of cali but the Canadian distributor is Tire Xperts in surrey BC. Got a set of rims from him last fall, ended up being a couple hundred less than the website including tax installed in Canada. Small shop with a good guy running it.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these guys are out of surrey b.c.

The prices online i dont think are what you can get, i think you can get better because my brother in law swears buy these guys for his 325/50r22s for his truck.

Yikes, those guys are crazy expensive, at minimum $100 more per tire than I can get here in town, for 3 tires I checked 325/65r18 OR 35/12.5R18 Toyo M/T GY Duratrac and ProComp AT Xtreme,.. i'll buy local

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes, those guys are crazy expensive, at minimum $100 more per tire than I can get here in town, for 3 tires I checked 325/65r18 OR 35/12.5R18 Toyo M/T GY Duratrac and ProComp AT Xtreme,.. i'll buy local

Yah thats what i thought too, not very good prices but i guess if you call they deal and forget the website prices.

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried a set of Goodyear wranglers and they out performed and out lasted the nitto grapplers by at least 5 times. You get what you pay for.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One thing to know about Sorat; They purchase their tires out of the USA and there will be NO warranty on any tires purchased through them (unless they will warranty them internally)...PERIOD. Toyo Canada has been attempting to shut down Sorat's Cross border Toyo distribution for years, as what they are doing is against Toyo's distribution policy.

We would be approximately $1700 Tax in/installed for the 295/70R18 in a Toyo AT2

I would personally say that the AT2 is a superior tire to the Nitto.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always assumed Sorat (among others in the same area) were purchasing US products and reselling. However I would think that if Toyo really didn't want Sorat selling their tires, they could make that happen pretty easily?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lenny the huge price gap across the border means these companies can buy at retail (say, tirerack.com), bring them across, and mark up their costs by whatever operating margin they want and still beat Canada pricing. I'm guessing.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always assumed Sorat (among others in the same area) were purchasing US products and reselling. However I would think that if Toyo really didn't want Sorat selling their tires, they could make that happen pretty easily?

One would think, but Toyo Canada and Toyo USA are separate entities. Toyo USA doesn't seem to care, as it's more volume for them. I would imagine Sorat has an entity south of the border that purchases them and then re-directs them to Canada. Just a loop hole that may be hard to close with legality?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the Terra Grappler after having them on my 08 GM 1/2 ton, found they would flat spot especially in the cold which made you over air them compared to other tires causing a ****ty ride or driving on rumble strips for the first few k's. Sperated the sidewall from the tread on one tire from making a high speed maneuver avoiding an Elk at night, I guess it was pretty violent now that I think about it but it shredded itself 100k later.

Personally my sights are set on the Goodyear Duratrac, from the sounds of it they are sold out pretty well everywhere though so need to order ahead of time. Id be willing to try the TOYO as you see lots of them.

mikeo2

Reaction score
Anyone ever try dick cepek fun country's? I was looking at putting some 305/70r18 on my new rims when they come in.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont do the Dick cepek fc2 rough, loud dont balance worth a ****. Toyo are 5 times the tire.

straightshooter

Reaction score
Micky Thompson atz p3 nice lug size not to loud and with balancing beads there is absolutely no steering wheel wobble. I'm also on a 15k tire rotation program and they don't even start cupping and that's on an old 05 cummins. Would buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom