Summit Freeride- What you pay?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are hilarious.

how are you justifying your statments of its a ripoff?

have you LOOKED at the changes?

yep its an extra 3-4g for the machine but it is a completely different sled.

i wont get into it do some fawkin research.

THAT BEING SAID...i will never have one because i do all those upgrades myself like many of us but if you want a pull and go machine this is it.

and on that note i dont think anyone saying its a ripoff could even ride that sled to its potential let alone an everest so why are you barking at it?

if you cant ride an everest then of course a freeride is going to be a ripoff for you

Dude, I respect ya and I know that some guys that own one don't want to hear otherwise because whatever is sitting on the trailer is king of the hill, but........ there are 1 yr old 2 strokes and also some 4 stroke sleds for about $17K that will fawkin' absolutely KILL a Freeride, I don't care how much BRP "upgraded" it, so be cautious about how high you guys are setting the bar here. Walk softly and carry a big stick I always say, don't put a sled up too high on a pedestal before it's even been on the hill.

All I can say is for $17K, there better not be any busted handwarmers, blown belts, gear changes, busted driveshafts, bent running boards, or "suspension" upgrades that will cost the consumer a dime. If BRP could guarantee me that the consumer R&D would be covered by BRP on warranty and not out of my own pocket, I would buy one tomorrow, but for that kind of coin, I want it in writing before I hand them a dollar.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude, I respect ya and I know that some guys that own one don't want to hear otherwise because whatever is sitting on the trailer is king of the hill, but........ there are 1 yr old 2 strokes and also some 4 stroke sleds for about $17K that will fawkin' absolutely KILL a Freeride, I don't care how much BRP "upgraded" it, so be cautious about how high you guys are setting the bar here. Walk softly and carry a big stick I always say, don't put a sled up too high on a pedestal before it's even been on the hill.

All I can say is for $17K, there better not be any busted handwarmers, blown belts, gear changes, busted driveshafts, bent running boards, or "suspension" upgrades that will cost the consumer a dime. If BRP could guarantee me that the consumer R&D would be covered by BRP on warranty and not out of my own pocket, I would buy one tomorrow, but for that kind of coin, I want it in writing before I hand them a dollar.

not saying anyone is going to buy it including myself.. or it is the best sled out there. its not. my everest will murder it. i just dont think the price is that out of line. not that any of this stuff makes the machine go higher but if you break it down...

154 everest. 11,000
fox evol x - 1300
fox rear suspension kit - 1400
coated frame + labour - 3000
vinyl rap +installation - 500
chassis beefing goodies - 1000
handlebar cleanup - 300

and we are at 18,500

and yes i would compare the high end fox product to what is on this machine.

the thing isnt going to go any higher but at 17000 the price isnt far off from the upgrades most do anyways. i do mine over time so the cost isnt so upfront for me.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not saying anyone is going to buy it including myself.. or it is the best sled out there. its not. my everest will murder it. i just dont think the price is that out of line. not that any of this stuff makes the machine go higher but if you break it down...

154 everest. 11,000
fox evol x - 1300
fox rear suspension kit - 1400
coated frame + labour - 3000
vinyl rap +installation - 500
chassis beefing goodies - 1000
handlebar cleanup - 300

and we are at 18,500

and yes i would compare the high end fox product to what is on this machine.

the thing isnt going to go any higher but at 17000 the price isnt far off from the upgrades most do anyways. i do mine over time so the cost isnt so upfront for me.

I do not think evol x's would compair to the pro 40 fronts, as they are still air shocks, the fox zero x would be the closest to the stock spec KYB pro 40 but the fox's do not have external rebound adjustment like the KYB's, anybody who plays with rebound speed on their dirt bike knows how much of a difference few clicks of the adjuster makes.
Anyhow, its a first year sled with lots of race team parts, in anybody has a chance drop by my shop and check on out, I have one out back waiting for its daddy, if you take a close look at it your opinion of it will change, it's kinda like its a 2010 Yz 450 and the x or everest is a 1984 yz 490 with a 2010 yz 450 engine in it.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not think evol x's would compair to the pro 40 fronts, as they are still air shocks, the fox zero x would be the closest to the stock spec KYB pro 40 but the fox's do not have external rebound adjustment like the KYB's, anybody who plays with rebound speed on their dirt bike knows how much of a difference few clicks of the adjuster makes.
Anyhow, its a first year sled with lots of race team parts, in anybody has a chance drop by my shop and check on out, I have one out back waiting for its daddy, if you take a close look at it your opinion of it will change, it's kinda like its a 2010 Yz 450 and the x or everest is a 1984 yz 490 with a 2010 yz 450 engine in it.

I listened to the same lines of BS twice now once in 05 with my RT and again in 08 with my XP. Sled hasn't proven itself yet and the Doo dealers are all hype. Lets see what FUOTF like someone else said hand warmers, drive parts, leaky seals on your air shocks ect.... Said it before and I'll say it again not enough bang for your buck.:d

curtis.williamson

Reaction score
I ordered a freeride the weekend after they were released. It finally came in, was 15 500 or something. Had to have it ever since it was released online. Beautiful beautiful machine. My buddy just bought a '10 m8 and thinks he's gonna smoke me.....hehehe

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 153

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does an Assault not have the same suspension for $13,600. Just food for thought

No they do not and you are wrong, the front KYB's on the freeride have externally adjustable high speed compression, low speed compression, and rebound adjustment. 3 way adjustability.

The Assault only has compression adjustment. one way adjustability.

If you know much about shocks, if you do not have rebound speed adjustment your shocks are not much to brag about...

Take your bike out for a ride this spring and play with your clickers on the bottom of your forks and the bottom of your shock, you will be shocked what a few clicks do for the performace of your bike, the compression does not really do much, to get the most of the compression you have to rebuild the shocks internal valve stack and go to stiffer or softer springs depending on your weight or riding ability
Take a look a motocross bikes and find a good bike without rebound speed dampening adjustment, you would need to go back to the mid 80's or look at cheap chinese junk to find a bike without that...:beer:
Just some food for thought...

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first thing-- whats fuotf ?

second, i think that the freeride is overpriced (in some buyers position) only if you won't do what it was meant to do. somebody ask dan treadway, he rode one/is riding one for a bit. what does he figure? if you plan to jump the hell out of that thing i think you will appreciate what steel town is explaining.
just my 2c

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting into a pissing contest over peoples personal sled preference, come down and check it out for yourself as I have one pdi'd and you can look at it. It is not a sled designed for guys who think out-highmarking your buddies means your the bomb, its made for guys who jump, and drop big stuff.

At the end of the day its consumer choice, you can buy a sled and put a turbo on it and out climb your buddies, if thats what gets you stoked to ride then thats cool, sleddiing is alot of different things to different people.
Me, I dont higmark, I like jumping, dropping cliffs, boondocking. My influence and/or drive to sled comes from racing motocoss for 25 years and riding my snowboard in the snowboard park/backcountry at lake louise and sunshine. Every guy on the hill see's the mountian in a different view, some ride 300 miles a year, some ride 3000 miles a year, some guys pound a sled into rubble, some guys cry if they scratch their sled. It's all good, purchase the sled you like and and ride it like a mad man. At the end of the day did you set a personal best and try new stuff while out riding ? or did you ride like you have sand in your mangina ? The latter does not need a freeride and it would be a waste of $. The guys that other people watch with their jaw on the ground would benifit form haivng the upgrades that the Freeride has, it's more durable and beefy, from the chassis, shocks, skid, handle bars, even the throttle.[/QUOTE]

I have an everest and yes, sometimes I ride like I have sand in my mangina. But I'm okay with it. :d

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting into a pissing contest over peoples personal sled preference, come down and check it out for yourself as I have one pdi'd and you can look at it. It is not a sled designed for guys who think out-highmarking your buddies means your the bomb, its made for guys who jump, and drop big stuff.

At the end of the day its consumer choice, you can buy a sled and put a turbo on it and out climb your buddies, if thats what gets you stoked to ride then thats cool, sleddiing is alot of different things to different people.
Me, I dont higmark, I like jumping, dropping cliffs, boondocking. My influence and/or drive to sled comes from racing motocoss for 25 years and riding my snowboard in the snowboard park/backcountry at lake louise and sunshine. Every guy on the hill see's the mountian in a different view, some ride 300 miles a year, some ride 3000 miles a year, some guys pound a sled into rubble, some guys cry if they scratch their sled. It's all good, purchase the sled you like and and ride it like a mad man. At the end of the day did you set a personal best and try new stuff while out riding ? or did you ride like you have sand in your mangina ? The latter does not need a freeride and it would be a waste of $. The guys that other people watch with their jaw on the ground would benifit form haivng the upgrades that the Freeride has, it's more durable and beefy, from the chassis, shocks, skid, handle bars, even the throttle.

I have an everest and yes, sometimes I ride like I have sand in my mangina. But I'm okay with it. :d[/QUOTE]
as long as your having fun all the power to you brother :beer::beer::beer:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this classifies as highjacking, but lets face the fact that 95% of people buying the Freeride (or Assault) are not going to actually play with the shocks that they're paying all that money for. It baffles me day in and day out to see the guys that buy these sleds just doing the normal riding... Makes me want to go up to them and say "Do you realize you got ripped right off?" Just a personal opinion. These sleds are made for the guys in Slednecks. Not really for the average Joe.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey steel town you always such a dyck, must be a great salesman

I do not see how explaining to you the difference between the shocks on 2 different sleds from 2 different companies makes me a dick ? Sorry if I offended you dude. If you like Poo's giver and buy one, "I cant tell you what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Top Bottom