Expert vs freeride

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
Anyone been on both? Going to snow check one or the other this year. Wondering if there's much difference in how they perform. Leaning towards the expert right now mostly because of the adjustable limiter strap but having some nicer shocks would be nice. Coming off a 2023 shredder ds turbo 3900 and loving it, just want to try out the door for a couple seasons to see what I like better.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really depends what you are after as they are both built for specific purposes.

If your a deep snow/trees guy the Expert is the ultimate sled, it does everything better than the freeride in deep snow and it is lighter, the adjustable limiter strap gives you more control when needed, the track is wider for more floatation/traction and the soft front suspension calibration allows it to move through obstacles, off camber and hard tracks with much less feedback than the freeride. The downside to the expert is that the front suspension doesn't have the capacity that the remote reservoir shocks do so you will never be able to chase a freeride down a whooped out trail with an expert. That being said the shocks on the expert cranked to setting 4 can take a pretty good beating. The downside is you want them soft on setting 1 when moving through alpine terrain so it is a bit of work to adjust. You want that soft calibration for sidehilling, intiating sidehills and when you are coming accross hard obstacles in the trees its not going to send you in the other direction. The freeride IMO is for guys that want to do a mix of all riding, jumps, whips, hard/fast trail riding and deep snow. If your not a hardcore rider and spend most of your time in the trees or deep snow riding the Expert is going to be the winner, You will also appreciate the weight difference and performance increase in deep snow compared to the Lynx. The handguards that come on the Expert are also really overlooked, i have never been able to break one and going through the bush they can be life savers

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
The majority of my riding is techical tree riding, with a bit of jumping and failed re entry and whip attempts thrown in. I really like the idea of being able to quickly throw the sled into party mode or planted at the toss of a lever. Even though my shredder suspension is dialed in now for 80% of the riding that I do there's times I wish I could quickly tame it down a bit or go full party mode. I think you're right about the weight too, the rear skid on the shredder works amazing but they need to cut the weight. I was going to take the hand gaurds off but you might have me convinced to leave them on. Sounding like the expert is more my style, the final decision will come at release day though. Might even jump back to a 165 this time, been having a blast on the shorter track though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The majority of my riding is techical tree riding, with a bit of jumping and failed re entry and whip attempts thrown in. I really like the idea of being able to quickly throw the sled into party mode or planted at the toss of a lever. Even though my shredder suspension is dialed in now for 80% of the riding that I do there's times I wish I could quickly tame it down a bit or go full party mode. I think you're right about the weight too, the rear skid on the shredder works amazing but they need to cut the weight. I was going to take the hand gaurds off but you might have me convinced to leave them on. Sounding like the expert is more my style, the final decision will come at release day though. Might even jump back to a 165 this time, been having a blast on the shorter track though.

the 165 expert is an absolute riot. The short sleds are fun too but that 165 gives you the ability to tackle pretty much any steep knarly tree line with confidence.

you can also add the adjustable limiter to the freeride, it is an accessory. However its a bit of work to do

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
the 165 expert is an absolute riot. The short sleds are fun too but that 165 gives you the ability to tackle pretty much any steep knarly tree line with confidence.

you can also add the adjustable limiter to the freeride, it is an accessory. However its a bit of work to do
I've really been thinking about it. My last experience 160's length track was on my 2016 axys, it was the most boring sled I've ever owned. I understand they're two very different machines, chassis and power wise (won't ever be riding polaris again lol). I'm sure the 165 is much more playful with 180 horse! Just scares me a bit after my last experience. I do enjoy looking down at my buddies struggling, maybe 165 is the way to go this time. As long as it still whips around I'm in.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got EXIT X1's on the front to soak up the long trail big bumps... got the rear shock serviced and it keeps the skis down in a steep climb... lovin the 23 expert 165

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
i might try the fox with the 3 position quick clicker. if its as soft as factory on click 1 that's a win for me
3 position seems like a great idea. Always found it overwhelming having shocks with tons clicks on them. Hard/medium/soft, that's all I want.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 position seems like a great idea. Always found it overwhelming having shocks with tons clicks on them. Hard/medium/soft, that's all I want.
Trying to remember if you added five clicks out of 18 lol I like your idea. Stiff medium soft is perfect

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I crank em from full loose to full hard most of the time

It seems fox air seals have some a long ways from the old leaky ones in the cats..

Always been a coil over guy with trust issues…

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the Freeride still come with the removable sway bar?

I put one on my expert

Turbodiesels

Reaction score
I think so, says it's part of the package on the 2024 sled builder. I was curious about it, does it make a pretty noticeable difference?

Also I agree fk air shocks. Trust issues.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rebuild the expert shocks and that will do 75% of the riding a guy needs

Free ride with 3 clicks seems very course for adjustment. If your that 25% thst like to go bug, get a free ride!

I always like all the clicks you can get. Slow speed + High speed compression + rebound.

But if you don't know what they do, then yep they are pretty much worthless.

I always switched my adjuster valves out for these on the KYB's can get them from enzo.

1706218691883.png

Top Bottom