SPOT satallite tracker

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at the end of the ADVrider thread that I posted the link for, a fella posted a promotion deal he found through Yahoo for free service and tracking for one year if you sign up to yahoo's Fire Eagle service. it's some kind of social networking deal, like a facebook maybe? anyways, the SPOT service is $99usd/yr and tracking is $49usd/yr, both free for signing up to fire eagle. tried it, and got a promo code, I'll report back if it works when my spot arrives and I get it activated. promo is good until Dec 31

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good news!

Spot arrived today, used the Fire Eagle code and everything went good. had to email the Fire Eagle rep, the code wouldn't work at first, but he got it straightened out. seems someone at Spot didn't know about the extended promotion, it has been taken care of and the expiry date on the promo is Dec 31st. only cost me $7.95us to get it going, would've been free but I chose the GEOS insurance option. smokin' deal! :beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
turned it on, sent myself an "OK" message to both my email and cell phone. from the time I pushed the button until my cell phone got the text was 3 minutes. ran inside and the email was there already too. the link in the email takes you to a google map location from where the message was sent. it was accurate within 20 feet according to google earth view.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
used the Spot while biking this weekend, sent a bunch of OK messages and played with the tracking feature a bit, everything worked well. it sent tracking positions while in the mesh exterior pocket of my backpack, not sure of the factory set intervals so I don't know if they all got through but there were a bunch of them (gotta do some more reading).

sent one OK message from under the DMI bridge where we stopped for lunch, it went through in less than 2 minutes. I have my cell phone as a contact and it receives text msgs of the check in message and lat/long location. here is a pic from the link in the email message.
soptcheckdmi.jpg

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hey I was thinking, For your trailors or sleds, you could leave the spot in the back of your sled, and if it gets stoleing it would track it, or am i mistaking of how it works?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey I was thinking, For your trailors or sleds, you could leave the spot in the back of your sled, and if it gets stoleing it would track it, or am i mistaking of how it works?
the tracking feature will only send info for a 24 hr period, then must be activated again manually. it would work if your sled was on an open trailer or in the back of a truck, but not in an enclosed aluminum. you would have to have it outside of the trailer somewhere with a view of the sky. put a patch of velcro on the roof or something maybe.....:d

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Summitric and I bought a SPOT at the Edmonton Show and activated it on Friday. I set it outside and did a test...took less than 5 minutes for the wifes to get the notice that I had programed into it. (they thought they were gonna get to collect on the life insurance...not this time ladies)

Spot is not a Sat Phone...just a way to send a single preprogrammed message to a group of people you want to notify. It will allow you to ask for help or request full blown 911 assistance.

Special thanks to "teeroy" for chatting it up with me before the show so I would know if I wanted one and what to expect.

A great support item to have on you in the mountains.

Zipp

Reaction score
Who else make these, and where can you look at them around Edmonton?

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Spot track down here in Houston today for 99.00US, with the exchange rate thats about 112.00CAD. Pretty god deal considering I seen them in Canadian Tire before I left for 169.00 dollars. Now just to get it activated.:d

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
London Drugs: $139 Future Shop:$119 these prices are for ;last year's model. You can find last year's on line for as little as $70 US. No one around here has the Spot 2 yet. Spot 2 is supposed to be much better than the Spot 1. I ordered a Spot 2 on line for $149 + 1 year of free tracking option. Looks like an excellent tool for the back country. :beer:

Zig Zag

Reaction score
SPOT didn't work very well for Revy SAR or the two guys who were trying to send the OK messages all night. Should be intresting at the booth this weekend.:smiliestirthepot:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
London Drugs: $139 Future Shop:$119 these prices are for ;last year's model. You can find last year's on line for as little as $70 US. No one around here has the Spot 2 yet. Spot 2 is supposed to be much better than the Spot 1. I ordered a Spot 2 on line for $149 + 1 year of free tracking option. Looks like an excellent tool for the back country. :beer:

Where is the information on the Spot 2? I can't find anything to read, not even on SPOT Canada: Satellite Messenger

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to remember with the spot is that it has to first read the satellites before you can send your message.

Hubby took it out first time and tried sending ok messages, they didn't come through...we were able to talk on the cell from where he was so we did it until he could get a message through. He was turning it on, waiting until what he thought indicated it was ready, then sent the ok message...it blinked like it had sent the message, however he hadn't waited until the lights indicated the sat was locked in...so you can think you are sending a message really easy but you're not...good idea to practice this. Since then haven't had any messages not come through.

I on the other hand was smart enough to read how to use it BEFORE heading out to the bush...:p

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
SPOT didn't work very well for Revy SAR or the two guys who were trying to send the OK messages all night. Should be intresting at the booth this weekend.:smiliestirthepot:

Don't want to be the broken record but Spot is not the be-all and end-all. You have to know where you are and whether or not the signal can get out and you have to know if the signal has got out. Useage in the mountains is dependant on the signal getting to a satellite through the trees and/or big rocks.

I have used one for all of last winter and part of the winter before and the useage is like a beacon; practise makes perfect! Not saying that my useage is perfect as one of the last times I used it, I got a red light and had to look in the book to see what that meant.

Most guys use the OK button and the tracking mechanism and everything seems tickey-boo but practise with the help and "cancelling the help" and see what happens. Make sure things are set up before you require help.

Top Bottom