SPOT satallite tracker

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I just picked up my new spot 2 yesterday at around 2 pm. I bought it from Vector communications in Grande Prairie, AB. I got home and went to there web site and 20 min later was ready to go! It was easy. Just follow along and there web site is very user friendly.

So I go out side and turned it on (Green power button blinks), Waited 30 seconds like they say and pushed and held the (OK) till it blinked and then I let go and just watch what it does. The Power button and the OK button will blink together for about 30 seconds. Then the power,OK and the GPS light all blink together for about 1 minute. Then the power,OK,mail sending light up together and they blinked for 6 seconds till I heard my Phone beep, telling me I had a text Message!!!! 6 seconds to send that is crazy fast.

The whole message was done from start to finish within 2 minutes. Also it was snowing heavy here when I did the test. Also the HELP and S.O.S/911 button are cover with a plastic cover that you lift up then you push the button, So it can't be pushed by accident. There is now a seperate button for tracking your position as well. As well there is another button for any other message you want to send home, works the same as the OK button. Hope this clears up any questions. Trav:d:d

Did you have an original SPOT? If so there will be a special price for an upgrade to SPOT 2.

Blacknytro

Reaction score
Never had one before this one so I am not sure on the upgrade. I know the spot 2 works really good so far. I am heading to the mountains sledding tomorrow and I'll post the review as I'll be sending messages to my computer for tracking puposes and to get used to it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Im waiting for the new one to come out. Its suipposed to have better reception and is smaller also. For an extra few bucks I would rather have the latest and greatest. Probably why they are selling the old ones so cheap.

The reception is better because of a better antenna system. Very similar to the phone in my truck that has way more power than my cell phone because of the antenna system and the boost.

One thing the salesman told me was that the batteries in the new one won't last as long. They are smaller and with more functions they just won't be the same. There is a red light to let one know about low batteries.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought it for two reasons, for the comfort of my wife knowing during the day i can let her know all is good and for the obvious reason of having the extra means of communication if needed. Out of all the avy gear i have purchased and i have everything including abs backpack i think this is the one that gives me the most sense of security.

Crazed

Reaction score
Just picked up Spot 2 in Calgary through GPSCity.ca I picked it up for $149.99. They matched Basspro.ca. If you do not tell that you found it cheaper the cost is 169.99. They are also offering free shipping. Here are the promo codes to use.

Get free Fedex Ground shipping on orders over $200, to a maximum of $15.
Use coupon code FREEGROUND83H
Get free Fedex 2 Day shipping on orders over $300, to a maximum of $20.
Use coupon code FREE2DAY29T
Get free Fedex Next Day shipping on orders over $400, to a maximum of $25.
Use coupon code FREENEXTDAY37A

Lot cheaper to buy local then US

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I received a call from SPOT customer service tonight, I hadn't renewed my account info with my new CC number after the old one expired. they tried to charge the renewal fee and it wouldn't go through, I wanted to wait for the SPOT 2 before I re-upped.

the agent offered me $50 off to renew immediately, for the full meal deal. I told him I was going to wait for the new one, he said they were going to offer a $60 trade in program for your old SPOT at Best Buy and Cabela's off the SPOT 2 price.

he also mentioned the SPOT 2 would not be available for use until January, and that they were launching a 6th satellite required to work with the SPOT 2. can anyone that has got theirs confirm if this is true?

I checked my SPOT account after I renewed, they tried to charge my card the $157.95 that didn't go thru. new charge was $107.95

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure but I think he is leading you because my Spot2 is working and the tracking works shows up on Google earth.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I received a call from SPOT customer service tonight, I hadn't renewed my account info with my new CC number after the old one expired. they tried to charge the renewal fee and it wouldn't go through, I wanted to wait for the SPOT 2 before I re-upped.

the agent offered me $50 off to renew immediately, for the full meal deal. I told him I was going to wait for the new one, he said they were going to offer a $60 trade in program for your old SPOT at Best Buy and Cabela's off the SPOT 2 price.

he also mentioned the SPOT 2 would not be available for use until January, and that they were launching a 6th satellite required to work with the SPOT 2. can anyone that has got theirs confirm if this is true?

I checked my SPOT account after I renewed, they tried to charge my card the $157.95 that didn't go thru. new charge was $107.95

A $60.00 rebate is better than a poke in bum with a sharp stick!!
I thought I read somewhere that the GPS satellite system uses 24 satellites? It is rather interesting that SPOT 2 is available but won't work until January? I think we might be getting the run around with some unforeseen 'rebate' program....but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the info teeroy, fs

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the SPOT 2 this year. So far just testing around home it seems to work. I'm getting the flashing green light that it has satellites in view. Heading out into the hills today to test further. :confused:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked the coordinates from my spot 1 with my gps beside it and they were off. Anyone else find this?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked the coordinates from my spot 1 with my gps beside it and they were off. Anyone else find this?
mine's the same, usually within about 15-20 feet of my location tho. the GPS is kind of the same, set it to leave a breadcrumb trail and zoom right in on your position, you will see the pointer moving around slightly. I put my SPOT in track mode and watch the points that come up while it's sitting stationary, they are within a 50 or 60 foot radius of my location.

here is my shared page, was just playing around with it last night. password is "troyspot"

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=14GvGqfrDKWciBtxVSz1xZdqdUFuEWh5y

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't go so well my first time out. On/off light flashed red all day with new lithium ion batteries. Tried 3 times to send check in messages, none of which were received by any of my 10 recipients. Tracking worked though. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't go so well my first time out. On/off light flashed red all day with new lithium ion batteries. Tried 3 times to send check in messages, none of which were received by any of my 10 recipients. Tracking worked though. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

Did you try the very first ok message from your back yard.
It took mine about 25 minutes to send very first time.
Since then sends out fast
I have been turning it on sending a ok message before moving.
Not sure if this helps?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you try the very first ok message from your back yard.
It took mine about 25 minutes to send very first time.
Since then sends out fast
I have been turning it on sending a ok message before moving.
Not sure if this helps?

Thanks Arff. I did try to send a message from my home before using it yesterday. It didn't send the check in message then either but there were no flashing red lights. I'm gonna put new batteries in today and try again.:beer:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I first got mine I thought it was broken.
The information with it should explain what to do when first turned on.
The first check in seems to be the most important.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i sold my spot1 before the new on came in, i talked to the contact that i have and she read an email she received from them stateing that there was a problem with a light, and that the units that we were waiting for would be delayed till the new year, start up productin in jan have new units out end of jan begining of feb, kind of the pits, my dealer was nice enough to give me her demo of the spot to have till the new ones come in, it dosnt sound like a big problem, but a defective part is a problem. i know a few guys that bought them out of bass pro shop, they are working good right now, i think it has a better transmiter, seems to be able to track from the top of his pack always where my spot 1 would miss a few throught the day, i had it mounted on the top of my abs in the top pocket, new one is smaller but i dont know how much worse the batter use will be they have not said. did you hear anything out there

giddyup

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any truth to the rumor that the SPOT 2 is under a vigorous recall?

Yep! Got an e-mail about 4 days ago indicating they are experiencing serious problems with the units and they will be sending me a "return package" within the next few days. Coincidentally, about 3 days prior to getting this recall mail I was out with mine and it didn't work properly at all. On/off button flashed red all day with brand new batteries and did not send any of my check in messages. As a consolation I'll get a month of free service once the unit is returned to me. A bit of a Pi$$ Off but at least they're acknowledging that there is a problem and getting on rectifying it right away.:beer:

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
I sent 3 ok messages yesterday, one didn't work, and one was about 50 miles away from where I actually was. The third one (in the parking lot) was the only one that worked. It concerns me a little bit that the I sent one from the cabin, where I just turned it on, placed it on the top of my bars and went inside for a while, was WAY off. I checked it last night and it was at least 50 miles off...... I sent it form the Allan Creek cabin, and it said I was way south of Blue River on the East side of the highway. Not Good....

Top Bottom