snow tires

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This law has been in place for a couple years. Recently they changed the signs to M+S or Snowflake. Winter tires can be M+S or severe snowflake, but don't have to be both. They are only required on the designated routes (which is pretty much most major highways anywhere you would want to sled anyway, so...). A M+S tire requires at least 3.5 mm of tread remaining, doesn't say where they will measure it though (total depth or down to wear bar etc), so it should be interesting to see if and how they enforce this. I foresee some threads, and subsequent whining about getting a ticket for M+S tires.......

Lots of tire types carry the M+S or the snowflake, I swapped from a set of Dynapro's, fully siped - they were better in the snow than our company trucks with winter tires. Just bolted on a new set of M+S and severe snowflake rated tires, will test them against our truck tires in early dec when we get some more snow.

Ultimately it comes down to what the road conditions are like. Lots of people put "snowflake" or M+S tires on and then drive like tools. DON'T OVERDRIVE THE ROAD CONDITIONS, NO MATTER WHAT TIRE YOU HAVE. Having a set of studded nokkians doesn't mean 135 kph is now OK.

manonfire

Reaction score
I agree with last post. You could have the best rubber in the best driving conditions and still wreak. I am out on B.C. Alberta highways all year round working, and fear more and more for my safety. As more and more azzhats come out to play and drive like it is there first time driving a vehicle. Just because you cannot see the road lines doesn't mean the rules of saftey need not apply anymore.

Just my 5cents worth.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read last season that any truck tire was considered acceptable if it had x mm's of tread depth. Can't remember the depth but this was straight from the BC provincial traffic laws.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read last season that any truck tire was considered acceptable if it had x mm's of tread depth. Can't remember the depth but this was straight from the BC provincial traffic laws.

Maybe heavy trucks (18 wheelers) on the non-drive tires, or for those folks running chains all the time......but for passenger cars and trucks, its spelled out pretty clear now. M+S (3.5 mm or more) or snowflakes.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As was previously pointed out, any HEAVY truck tire is considered acceptable but you must carry chains. There are no "truck" tires available which have the M&S or snow flake designations on them, therefore they are not required. Any trucker worth a hill of beans knows what a good winter tread is though.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This law has been in place for a couple years.

Ultimately it comes down to what the road conditions are like. Lots of people put "snowflake" or M+S tires on and then drive like tools. DON'T OVERDRIVE THE ROAD CONDITIONS, NO MATTER WHAT TIRE YOU HAVE. Having a set of studded nokkians doesn't mean 135 kph is now OK.
Isn't that the truth.

manonfire

Reaction score
Actually I have M+S extreme winter rated drive tires on my 18 wheeler. Boss put 8 virgins on in October.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of toyo M55's going to stud them so I should be good for the winter.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the new Nitto EXO Grappler AWT are suppose to be amazing. They are studdable and make many sizes including 35" x 12.5" x 20" but priced out shipped to my door with studs was $590 a tire. I think I can make do with my fuel tires.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canelled the order, and ordered a set of Duratrac's had good luck with them in the past, so may aswell keep running them.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered tires finally and will get them tomorrow. I would have almost been better off not doing any research and just going to buy a set. Too many decisions. Anyways get some general altimax arctic studded up in the morning, and putting them on my old spare rims I had hanging around from my old 2010 one ton. Should do the job.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I vote for duratacs. I've been using them since they came out in 08 I think and I don't even look at other tires. They work awesome in all conditions and last 80,000+ km if they are rotated every 10k. There is a new toyo open county CT that is supposed to be really good as well. Guys at OK tire says they out perform the duratracs but they have to say that.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone who needs winter tires please call me I will give 15% off any tire I can get for you as we are also OK Tire . Ask for Chris or Sue and say your from S&M and we can get you set up. It is suppppper busy right now So if you are REALLY looking for winter tires call
780-963-0080

Thanks Chris

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a good winter tire !!! I would be pretty pissed if someone sold me this as a winter tire because it said M+S. This is more like what I was trying to say.
Cant agree with you more, those tires came standard on my 2012 f-350 and they are not a proper winter tire!!! Put on set of studded Nokians and the difference is night and day compared to the Micheilns M&S for winter driving.

Top Bottom