snow tires

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think u have to in central b.c, but have to to go any where over any pass.... Also they changed it to winter or m and s...

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 in Quebec. I think the legislation came out in BC in 2012 with an effective date starting Oct 1 2013. In addition to fines, possibly having the vehicle compounded or turned around, looks like there could be 2 demerits assigned to the driver (quick internet search).

There have been many signs posted this Fall. Looks like they are getting ready for enforcement this winter. For sure this will be a big problem if involved in an accident.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just about any all season carries a M&S rating, you do not need to have the winter branding symbol. It's a start I guess.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 does stand out as the year it came into effect.

I think any Canadian city that has snow fall accumulations from November to April should have some sort of law requiring the use of a M=S/Winter tire if you are driving around in a snow storm. Stupid Calgary drivers.

there is this older thread as well.

https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat-14/wtf-snow-tire-55433.html

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 does stand out as the year it came into effect.

I think any Canadian city that has snow fall accumulations from November to April should have some sort of law requiring the use of a M=S/Winter tire if you are driving around in a snow storm. Stupid Calgary drivers.

there is this older thread as well.

https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat-14/wtf-snow-tire-55433.html

Yep, looks like 2011. There are not too many all season tires with M&S. I just put a set of Goodyear Ultragrip Winter on my Superduty. Sure worked good travelling from Edmonton to Calgary last night. I thought the Duratracs or BFG AT we're good but nothing compared to a dedicated winter tire.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, looks like 2011. There are not too many all season tires with M&S. I just put a set of Goodyear Ultragrip Winter on my Superduty. Sure worked good travelling from Edmonton to Calgary last night. I thought the Duratracs or BFG AT we're good but nothing compared to a dedicated winter tire.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good find. I was thinking more about light and heavy truck tires. We have installed hundreds of sets of Duratracs and Silent Armor tires on our fleet trucks. They are good, especially for an All Weather Tire. We now get these directly from Ford and GM on our new trucks.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should have just gone with the "branded for winter" and been done with it. There is some really crap tires with m&S rating.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TOYO CT 35/1250/20 35/1250/18 35/12517 is a new tire with a winter snowflake rating for all the lifted trucks in alberta and BC. This is a summer / winter crossover tire and can also be studded.
GENERAL AT2 is also another crossover tire with a winter rating and can also be studded.
DURATRAC is also a winter rated tire crossover.

Any of these tires will be legal in BC that you can still run in the summer, but nothing beats a full winter compound tire for ripping through the mountians.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should have just gone with the "branded for winter" and been done with it. There is some really crap tires with m&S rating.

just because it says M/S dose not make it legal in BC it has to have the mountain snow flake symbol on the side of the tire.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not according to all the signs I just drove past yesterday.

Looks like DRD's not chitting us.
DownloadAsset

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just because it says M/S dose not make it legal in BC it has to have the mountain snow flake symbol on the side of the tire.
Haven't been over a mountain pass in bc lately have you? That is just not factual.M+S is legal

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is big signs leaving Golden saying that M+S is acceptable does not need to have severe weather symbol anymore...

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other reason for the m&s or mountain snowflake is your insurance can and probably will null and void your insurance if your in an accident in the designated areas and do not have the proper tires on. This is what I have been told by an icbc rep. Whether it's true or not I don't know. I just run proper tires due to im always on the road and like to be safe.

Top Bottom