Sled Insurance

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Everything I have seen suggests that comprehensive does not provide coverage while in transport. You need collision for that. Every agent I have spoken to has advised me of such, and I have read through the SEFs myself and come to the same conclusion.
Comp is fire/theft/vandalism and if you hit an animal such as a moose/deer that goes under comp, not collision. Never head of comp covering a motor vehicle being pulled or on your vehicle. I would check with a senior CSR prior to making that assumption.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comp is fire/theft/vandalism and if you hit an animal such as a moose/deer that goes under comp, not collision. Never head of comp covering a motor vehicle being pulled or on your vehicle. I would check with a senior CSR prior to making that assumption.
I think we're saying the same thing?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
That's supposed to be the case.

My understanding however, is if your sled is written off while on your buddies deck going down the road, you may not be covered without collision or in transit coverage, and their insurance may not be covering it either, so you would be stuck eating it, or suing your buddy. Not an ideal situation either way. But I'm no expert, so talk to your insurance agent.
The only way to get your sled fixed is have collision coverage, or you would have to Sue your buddy and his liability policy would most likely respond with a denial, or you would at the best get ACV. Actual Cash Value.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I think we're saying the same thing?
Yes, guess I should of responded to the other post. When I'm driving my truck down the road my insurance covers my truck, my liability if I hit someone, not my cargo. And your other motor vehicles would have to have there own policy's. This is in Alberta. BC Government insurance may be different but typically is similar.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im through the ASA with Drayden - Written by Intact. $385 Full coverage on 2021 850 Turbo, 2 mil liability, all perils. inc collision, Waiver of Depreciation for 24 months, $500 Dollar Deductible.
Look at this response I have from Drayden..........

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out for a quote for your snowmobile.

Based on the number of cc’s that your unit is, it is not eligible for the ASA snowmobile program, as the maximum number of cc’s for the program is 400. We do have other options for your snowmobile, as long as you have had no convictions on your record in the last 3 years. I will require your driver’s license number, so I can collect your abstract in order to quote, and also your address.

You may also want to obtain a quote from your broker/insurer where your personal vehicle(s) are, as there would be discounts available to you that I wouldn’t be able to offer if we only write the snowmobile.

I hope this helps!

I’ll wait to hear from you as to whether you wish to proceed with a quote.

Thanks,

Lisa

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I insured another sled today and noticed TD had some add-ons I removed like family coverage and vehicle replacement. I'm at $265 yr for liability, collision and fire/theft on a 2015 XM with a $250 deductible.
You could tell the Rep had no idea what a snowmobile is or what is does.
I haven't found any insurer that can beat TD's rates for SAIT Alumni. Every 3 or 4 years, I phone around and it's always much higher.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good morning,

Based on the number of cc’s that your unit is, it is not eligible for the ASA snowmobile program, as the maximum number of cc’s for the program is 400. We do have other options for your snowmobile, as long as you have had no convictions on your record in the last 3 years. I will require your driver’s license number, so I can collect your abstract in order to quote, and also your address.

You may also want to obtain a quote from your broker/insurer where your personal vehicle(s) are, as there would be discounts available to you that I wouldn’t be able to offer if we only write the snowmobile.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Lisa
That seems odd. Not too many sleds meet that criteria.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

Good morning,

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Lisa
Is she new, lol. I paid my ASA policy last week and I have an 850 turbo. I have been on with there policy for 21 years.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is she new, lol. I paid my ASA policy last week and I have an 850 turbo. I have been on with there policy for 21 years.
When did Drayden change their policy on insuring turbo snowmobiles…?

That was the reason I left …?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would that have anything to do with the underwriters liability?
Insurance companies are a bit retarded when it comes to things. Modified = more risk in their book. That factory 850T makes the same amount of power at sea level as the regular 850, can't possibly be any more risk associated with that, right?

In all honestly, I'm just guessing here.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why even mention the turbo? They only asked me how many cc, how much i paid, and for the vin. Diesel trucks have turbos, Ford eco-tec has 2 turbos?

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well finally got a quote out of them, $1300/yr, currently paying $714/yr at AMA........
Super clean 20yr abstract.

Not sure why the difference, but hang on to that policy of yours, great rate you have.

Oh well.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally got a quote out of them, $1300/yr, currently paying $714/yr at AMA........
Super clean 20yr abstract.

Not sure why the difference, but hang on to that policy of yours, great rate you have.

Oh well.
Wow…. 1300 is absurd!!!

Drayden’s should be embarrassed to give out a quote like that.

ASA needs to check into this. Thought we were supposed to be getting the very best rate from them on a stand alone policy..?!

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also, if you are pulling an Alberta trailer with a BC registered truck you need a separate insurance policy for the trailer. Ask me how i know. that is not required in alberta
Screw that lol

I have 2 trailers with the yearly bc bull chit

And the trailer i brought from Alberta, still with Berta plates on it

I'm not paying tax and all that bull chit on my open sled trailer , which is used on the roads mabe 1 to 2 times a year if that

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had to pay my sled insurance on my alpha turbo for the year, $1100 full coverage, $2 million liability, had to pay cash or debit in full upfront, my broker said she had a bitch of a time getting me an insurer for it and this was the cheapest by a couple hundred, could of just not told them it was a turbo I guess but what’s the point of coverage if they don’t give me my full value if something happens

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, really don't think anyone needs to say "turbo" to the insurance company. They don't ask if it s a turbo, the just ask how many cc, and how much did you pay. I'm paying $536.00 for full coverage on a 2020 skidoo with 850cc engine that I paid $20,000 for.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I give my insurance agent my bill of sale and they give me a rate. It’s around $500. They have a rate chart. I would think they already know it’s a turbo?

Top Bottom