Sled Insurance

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I am paying around $700.00 a year for full coverage on my 21 turbo doo, and just some information to help you boys out, if you do not have collision on your sled and you are in a accident that totals your sled in or on your trailer it is NOT covered by your vehicle, also if you do not have collision on your trailer it is NOT covered by your vehicle insurance, the only thing your vehicle insurance covers is if you hit another vehicle with your trailer. I learned this all because I hit a moose a few years back and had to deal with all the details as I was pulling buddies trailer which got wrote off, luckily he had full coverage on his trailer which is cheap to do on a trailer, look into it yourself, there is a lot of beautiful trailers running down the road, hopefully they are insured properly.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
^^ Good Post ^^^ , Lots think its covered, In Alberta the liability is the only thing covered on the trailer you are pulling. Ask your broker/agent, if they know what there taking about you will find this out. I know others that found this out the hard way.

On my policy on my sled the price I put down is for all perils, which includes collision, being a group policy its cheaper and offers some additional coverages included. My regular broker would prefer not to cover snowmobiles with my auto policy, make a claim and see what happens to your auto policy rates.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys argue with me when I tell them that without collision, their sled isn't covered going down the road. I make sure everybody is aware of that if they are loading up on my deck or in my trailer.

So far I'm accident free, but roads turn to garbage in a hurry where we go, and wildlife come out of nowhere sometimes. It's worth the extra money in my mind to protect my expensive toys.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep no coverage on the back of your truck without collision. Allstate has been good to me.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys argue with me when I tell them that without collision, their sled isn't covered going down the road. I make sure everybody is aware of that if they are loading up on my deck or in my trailer.

So far I'm accident free, but roads turn to garbage in a hurry where we go, and wildlife come out of nowhere sometimes. It's worth the extra money in my mind to protect my expensive toys.

Just added it on mine. Thanks.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys are members of associations such as ASET you can qualify for "The Personal Insurance Company" discount. I paid under $250 for full coverage on my 2021 Khaos last season. The 19 was about $230 too. Yes with colloision and $1000 deductable I believe.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys are members of associations such as ASET you can qualify for "The Personal Insurance Company" discount. I paid under $250 for full coverage on my 2021 Khaos last season. The 19 was about $230 too. Yes with colloision and $1000 deductable I believe.
How does a person become a member?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need collision. Some insurance companies offer simply comprehensive or similar. This means you have fire/theft/vandalism/etc plus coverage while in transport. You just don't have coverage while driving the sled. Quite a bit cheaper if you are not worried about collision.
Everything I have seen suggests that comprehensive does not provide coverage while in transport. You need collision for that. Every agent I have spoken to has advised me of such, and I have read through the SEFs myself and come to the same conclusion.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does a person become a member?
ASET is just one association they recognize. They work with hundreds. Likely something your are a member of qualifies. I don't know if rates are different for each association.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also, if you are pulling an Alberta trailer with a BC registered truck you need a separate insurance policy for the trailer. Ask me how i know. that is not required in alberta
Have you ever noticed that you can leave a trailer on the street in BC and it is a no-no in Alberta? If it rolls away and causes damage in BC the insurance will cover it. In Alberta as soon as you disconnect the trailer is un-insured.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ASET is just one association they recognize. They work with hundreds. Likely something your are a member of qualifies. I don't know if rates are different for each association.
Pretty sure having a member contributes to our higher insurance rates.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything I have seen suggests that comprehensive does not provide coverage while in transport. You need collision for that. Every agent I have spoken to has advised me of such, and I have read through the SEFs myself and come to the same conclusion.
Not sure what to tell you. Collision is defined as only when the vehicle is being operated and in motion and you hit something. During transit, it is not being operated. Here is a screenshot of my insurance and it indicated transit. I have Bronze coverage

1638294871307.png

1638313319054.png

Last edited:

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, just to clarify the sleds not covered if your at fault. If my sleds on a deck or in a trailer that gets hit or in accident caused by another driver his insurance will cover it? Correct?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, just to clarify the sleds not covered if your at fault. If my sleds on a deck or in a trailer that gets hit or in accident caused by another driver his insurance will cover it? Correct?
That's supposed to be the case.

My understanding however, is if your sled is written off while on your buddies deck going down the road, you may not be covered without collision or in transit coverage, and their insurance may not be covering it either, so you would be stuck eating it, or suing your buddy. Not an ideal situation either way. But I'm no expert, so talk to your insurance agent.

Top Bottom